Aug 20, 2019, 12:04 AM
Onboard video test with a Polaroid Cube.
HobbyZone Aero Scout S / Esky Eagles Onboard Video Test With Polariod Cube (3 min 2 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2019, 09:48 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Ah! Number 3 arrived today and is being fitted with INav and an F405 Wing. It should be ready in a day or so.
Last edited by starcad; Sep 16, 2019 at 11:58 PM.
Sep 16, 2019, 10:14 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
These make great little FPV planes. I recently did a build series on the Esky Eagle version, this was the maiden flight. There's 4 more videos leading up to it in the playlist with this one if you're interested.

Esky Eagle FPV - Part 5 (32 min 53 sec)
Sep 17, 2019, 12:08 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
I always like your videos, Bonafidepirate, always very informative. Thanks for the heads-up and link to that battery. I have one on order now.
Sep 18, 2019, 09:33 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
This one is starting to look rather good. A couple more strips and it will be time to add the goodies.
Sep 20, 2019, 11:08 AM
Free as a bird now.
Has anyone else notice that the airfoil on the stabs is inverted? I don't think I've ever seen this on an r/c airplane before. I wonder what the advantage might be.
Sep 20, 2019, 11:35 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
It's for a bit of built in pitch stability. Traditional model airplane designs use some amount of positive incidence between the wing and horizontal stab to do the same thing. Basically, if the nose drops and the plane picks up speed, the tail generates more downward force and will lift the nose until the airspeed bleeds of back to where it was. It the nose pitches up the plane slows, and that downward force lessens to drop the nose until the speed comes back up. Using the inverted airfoil on the horizontal stab accomplishes the same thing with slightly less drag. At least in theory... lol

Name: piper-9a.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 42.8 KB
Description:
Sep 20, 2019, 12:31 PM
Free as a bird now.
Hmmm. If you line up the stabs with the root fairings that are molded into the tail boom (neutral trim position one would assume), there is plenty of positive incidence in the wing. The induced drag of flying surfaces set at different angles of attack is still there.

I think the mold maker accidentally installed the root fairings upside down, and Hobbyzone just decided, "Whatever. Let's just go with it."
Sep 20, 2019, 04:29 PM
You also have to keep in mind of the higher thrust line because of the motor position.
Pushers with a high mounted motor tend to want to push the nose downward when applying full throttle.
That's why a lot of pushers have the motor pointed at a upward angle to help counteract that tendency.
In the Scouts case, i think that inverted camber is to assist in keeping the plane level when throttle is applied.
Sep 21, 2019, 08:25 AM
Free as a bird now.
That makes sense. The motor thrust line on the scout does not have any upthrust.
The downside to counteracting motor thrust with the horizontal stab is that its effectiveness would be very dependent on airspeed.
If increased airspeed over the stab causes the airplane to pitch up, power off descents would tend to require a lot of down elevator.

I am the chief instructor at my flying field, and I have been training new pilots on the Apprentice with great success.
The local hobby shop owner just gave me an Aero Scout to test. (I haven't had a chance to fly it yet.)
He told me to expect it to be even easier to fly than an Apprentice, but he found that it needs down elevator on landings.
Sep 21, 2019, 10:08 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Actually, I don't believe it really matters that much if the stab is right side up or down on this plane as I have already watched one Youtube video where the person flew it the wrong way. the plane performed just as well either way.

As for landing, it really depends on your technique. It will glide quite a ways after the power is cut before dropping the nose. It's very stable even at low speeds without a tendency to tip stall. The airplane will probably surprise you with how easy it is to fly. I've flown both modes of the Apprentice and not knocking the Apprentice, the Areoscout is a lot more forgiving.
Sep 22, 2019, 02:43 AM
Next time i'm out, i might try flipping the elevators around to see for myself what difference that makes.

As for Apprentice vs Aeroscout..........
Both are super easy to fly and have forgiving stall characteristics.
Id give the Apprentice the edge on power thus it takes off from grass easier.
Since its bigger then the Aeroscout its easier to see.

The Aeroscout is a better (grab and go) plane because of its size.
No need to take the wings off for transport.
It makes a better fpv/camera platform imo.
Its cheaper.
Most importantly (to me) it handles the high winds like a CHAMP!
I actually have more fun flying the Scount in wind vs calm days.
Last edited by FoxProGT; Sep 22, 2019 at 03:05 AM.
Oct 02, 2019, 07:37 AM
FoxPro, or anyone, My wife fly's a Slowstick. I want to move her up to something that's not quite so fragile, It's getting hard to find parts like a wing for a slow stick anymore. I had her watch the video she's concerned that it fly's to fast? Will this plane slow down, like a Slowstick for her?? If not i'll just get her Twisted Hobbies Crack Pitt's and reduce the throws, and ez her into the ailerons slowly. She didn't get started into this hobby until 58 and she just enjoys evenings slowly cruising around. Were not in a club, We fly at an old friends farm. Thanks!
Oct 02, 2019, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecor
FoxPro, or anyone, My wife fly's a Slowstick. I want to move her up to something that's not quite so fragile, It's getting hard to find parts like a wing for a slow stick anymore. I had her watch the video she's concerned that it fly's to fast? Will this plane slow down, like a Slowstick for her?? If not i'll just get her Twisted Hobbies Crack Pitt's and reduce the throws, and ez her into the ailerons slowly. She didn't get started into this hobby until 58 and she just enjoys evenings slowly cruising around. Were not in a club, We fly at an old friends farm. Thanks!
Everything is fragile, but I personally think the Apprentice S 15E (not the STS) and the Valiant 1.3 (if you already have a suitable radio), and this Aeroscout S 1.1. The Valiant with flaps extended can fly quite slow. Apprentice will float forever with no throttle.
Good luck.
Oct 02, 2019, 12:50 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecor
I'm not sure what equipment you have and flying with. I have two AreoScouts and a TaranisX9D transmitter. One plane has an S6R stabilization receiver and the other has an F405 INav FC with a FrSky XM+ SBUS Mini Receiver for when I want to fly FPV. With an S6R receiver, the plane is a joy to fly and my go-to model in the wind. I usually fly at around 60% throttle for 10 minutes on a 2200 3s pack. If your wife can fly a Slowstick, she can fly an Aeroscout in Auto stabilize mode all day long. It's not much of a build, just one screw for the nose gear. It takes more time to unpack than assemble.

Quick Reply