May 23, 2019, 03:31 PM
Thread OP
Question

Taranis X9D Plus aux channels

Transmitter: FrSky Taranis X9D Plus running OpenTX.
Receiver: FrSky X4R-SB.
Flight Controller: Matek F405-CTR running iNAV.

Is it possible to use a single 3-position switch to output a signal on one AUX channel (e.g.; CH6) when the switch is in the CENTER position, and output a signal on a different AUX channel (e.g.; CH7) when the switch is in the FORWARD position? I want to establish iNAVís POSHOLD mode when a switch in its center position, and establish iNAVís RTH mode when that same switch is in its forward position.
Also, is it possible to send two different AUX channel signals AT THE SAME TIME (e.g.; CH5 and CH6) using a single switch in a particular position? I want to use one switch to both ARM my quad and establish iNAVís HEADFREE mode.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2019, 03:41 PM
Everything you're asking for is possible

You simply assign a separate channel to each of the functions you want to activate, then in iNAV configurator program you can then program it so that every function is activated by whatever switch you want. You also program which switch position or range to activate each function, and you can have more than one function activated by the same switch -- e.g. baro mode activated with a particular switch in the middle postion, and then baro mode plus position-hold activated by the same switch in the down position. And any particular function can be activated by more than one switch -- e.g. baro mode activated at the same time as headsfree, on one switch, and baro mode + position hold on another.
May 24, 2019, 08:55 AM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn
Everything you're asking for is possible

You simply assign a separate channel to each of the functions you want to activate, then in iNAV configurator program you can then program it so that every function is activated by whatever switch you want. You also program which switch position or range to activate each function, and you can have more than one function activated by the same switch -- e.g. baro mode activated with a particular switch in the middle postion, and then baro mode plus position-hold activated by the same switch in the down position. And any particular function can be activated by more than one switch -- e.g. baro mode activated at the same time as headsfree, on one switch, and baro mode + position hold on another.
Well sorta kinda. By default, the AltHold PID controller is active when you switch to PosHold, so you don't' need to mix anything.

For the Arm and HeadFree thing, you don't need to mix anything either. Just assign the same range to each function.

With that said, I would not recommend putting RTH on the same switch as PosHold. First off you do not need to switch out of PosHold. RTH has more priority than any other flight mode, so when you switch to RTH, RTH is in full control of the aircraft. Second, RTH is an excellent "panic mode," and having it assigned to a separate switch is the wise thing to do.
May 24, 2019, 12:09 PM
Hmmm, interesting. The OP was asking if he can mix functions and have more than one switch activating the same function, which is what I was trying to demonstrate is possible with my examples.

As it happens I do have PosHold and RTH on the same switch (this is a different quad to my bouncing one in my other thread) and it just seems natural to me. Arguably PosHold is a good 'panic' mode because the quad just stays where it is, then RTH is the next step if one still can't figure out which way round it is. If necessary, simply flicking the switch through the PosHold position to the RTH position is no big deal. I suppose the key is to be familiar with the transmitter's switch functions; and having voice alerts with Taranis OpenTX certainly helps in that respect for me when I have so many different types of models on the same transmitter.
May 24, 2019, 02:51 PM
FA3PR9WM79
What the OP actually said was, "Also, is it possible to send two different AUX channel signals AT THE SAME TIME (e.g.; CH5 and CH6) using a single switch in a particular position? I want to use one switch to both ARM my quad and establish iNAVís HEADFREE mode. "

This tells me that he really doesn't understand how things work, and that's OK 'cause we can fix that. You most certainly can do it this way, but there is no reason to. To do you need to use some custom mixing IN THE RADIO. Why should you do it that way when all you really need to do is assign the same range from ONE switch to Arm the motors and engage HeadFree mode.

He also said, "Is it possible to use a single 3-position switch to output a signal on one AUX channel (e.g.; CH6) when the switch is in the CENTER position, and output a signal on a different AUX channel (e.g.; CH7) when the switch is in the FORWARD position? I want to establish iNAVís POSHOLD mode when a switch in its center position, and establish iNAVís RTH mode when that same switch is in its forward position. "

In this situation there is no need to use 2 different channels. All you need is one switch and one channel. You set the range for PosHold when the switch is centered, and set the range for RTL when the switch is "forward." Easy Peasey..

The way I do this is I put a 3 position switch on AUX1 and a 2 position switch on AUX2.

I set the range for Angle to cover the entire span of Aux1. Yeah I'm a woos... so sue me.... I set the range for AltHold to be the center position of the switch, and I set PosHold range to be the high end of the switch. This way Angle is always on and I can switch between AltHold and PosHold at will.

For RTL, I put that on a 2 position switch that is next to the 3 position switch.

So, I'm using 2 switches and 2 channels. I have 3 flight modes on one switch and RTL as a bail out on a separate switch. No radio mixing is required. Can't get much easier than that.
May 25, 2019, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer
What the OP actually said was, "Also, is it possible to send two different AUX channel signals AT THE SAME TIME (e.g.; CH5 and CH6) using a single switch in a particular position? I want to use one switch to both ARM my quad and establish iNAVís HEADFREE mode. "

This tells me that he really doesn't understand how things work, and that's OK 'cause we can fix that. . . .
Agreed. But the OP hasn't come back yet, so we don't know how basic we need to go in our explanations

Quick Reply