May 27, 2019, 09:31 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Cool tool!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2019, 05:50 AM
I have both a band saw and a scroll saw. I rarely, if ever, use the scroll saw. For the best of both worlds, get any bandsaw, then pick up a $5 coping saw from the hardware store. The only thing I use a scroll saw/coping saw for is to cut out the inside of formers. Take a 2 x 4 and cut it about 14" or so long. Now cut an inside "V" notch at about a 30 deg. angle in one end. Clamp the 2 x 4 to your workbench. You can set your former on top of the 2 x 4 and do the cutting at the inside of the "V". Gives plenty of room and support. I like to do the cutting while sitting on a stool.

carl
Jun 02, 2019, 10:57 AM
I'd say band-saw, hands down. I have both. I added the band-saw a few years back, and started using it. I then realized I hadn't even touched that scroll-saw for about 10yrs, and there it sits.

I'll probably give the scroll-saw away some day to a friend that's in need of something... but that band-saw isn't going anywhere. There's some very clever things one can do with a band-saw that a scroll-saw can't. I wish I would have known that sooner.

This is just my experience, and to each his own. Enjoy whatever you see fit.
Jun 02, 2019, 11:10 AM
I agree
At one time I had blade welder and if need a a inside cuts but only used for steel.
For balsa wood inside cuts I use jeweler saw

Dave

I also use hole punches

https://www.mcmaster.com/hole-forming-punches

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant
I'd say band-saw, hands down. I have both. I added the band-saw a few years back, and started using it. I then realized I hadn't even touched that scroll-saw for about 10yrs, and there it sits.

I'll probably give the scroll-saw away some day to a friend that's in need of something... but that band-saw isn't going anywhere. There's some very clever things one can do with a band-saw that a scroll-saw can't. I wish I would have known that sooner.

This is just my experience, and to each his own. Enjoy whatever you see fit.
Last edited by smithdoor; Jun 02, 2019 at 11:21 AM.
Jun 02, 2019, 07:16 PM
The Scroll saw dominates a band saw when it comes to small radius cuts and delicate or intricate cuts needed to make some formers. But, there is a learning curve to using a scroll saw. Someday I will also get a band saw as they definitely have their uses also. The problem with woodworking is that no one saw can do it all and you need to have a few in your collection to get the job done easily.
Jun 05, 2019, 01:30 PM
This is why a fence on a band saw doesn't really work well and why adding aLittle ripper to your bandsaw is a very worthwhile investment.

EthAnswers Blade Drift Myths #2 Why Fences Don't Work On Bandsaws (10 min 17 sec)
Last edited by ErcoupeEd; Jun 05, 2019 at 10:17 PM.
Jun 05, 2019, 01:36 PM

How to add track to the Little ripper

This video explains how to add track to the Little Ripper.
I use two extra pieces of track to mine, so cutting 4x4 balsa blocks
or other sizes gives you really nice sheets of balsa

Stockroom shows cutting logs, but otherwoods like balsa, etc cuts super smooth
sheets or other dimension stock.

Pushing the Size Limits With The Little Ripper! How Big Can the Bandsaw Handle? EthAnswers (6 min 36 sec)
Jun 05, 2019, 01:49 PM

Little Ripper assembly and setup

If you do scratch building like myself, or just want certain dimensions of balsa sheets, etc, basswood etc, this is how the Little Ripper kit comes to your door, and how to assemble set it up.
It can easily be attached or removed from your bandsaw.
A 4x4x48 balsa block effectively can give you over 1/16 by 4 by 48 inch sheets.
Compare the costs of 60 plus sheets of this size individually by the cost of one 4x4x48 balsa block.
You can get very smooth cuts to almost any size of balsa stock you need.
Plus you will get perfectly straight and smooth cuts everytime vs using a fence.

Okay, for me a trip to the LHS which most likely won't have the kind of wood stock I need , and a very low supply of wood,
plus a 60 mile round trip in traffic and at least 4 to 5 gallons of gas used in my vehicle.

This is where this device quickly pays for itself and saves money!
I first saw this demonstrated at the EAA Oshkosh Wisconsin Airshow awhile back.
I am very happy I purchased it!

Setting Up Your Little Ripper (6 min 58 sec)

Quick Reply