May 23, 2019, 08:00 PM
I guess that I am the odd ball in this thread. my father was a modeler and I have been modeling for at least 66 years and always had access to a band saw. Bought my first scroll saw about 30 years ago because I needed one for a contract. I prefer a band saw over the scroll because of it's ability to rip and if set up properly to cut metal. I use a small table saw for most of my modeling and the band saw for cutting out parts. Only occasionally do I use a scroll saw. I often use an inverted jig saw for cutting out an internal hole.

Gene
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2019, 08:39 PM
I rarely use a jig saw and very rarely use hand scroll saw.
For cutting steel I use a steel cutting saw or torch.
Aluminum I use wood cutting saw

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56
I guess that I am the odd ball in this thread. my father was a modeler and I have been modeling for at least 66 years and always had access to a band saw. Bought my first scroll saw about 30 years ago because I needed one for a contract. I prefer a band saw over the scroll because of it's ability to rip and if set up properly to cut metal. I use a small table saw for most of my modeling and the band saw for cutting out parts. Only occasionally do I use a scroll saw. I often use an inverted jig saw for cutting out an internal hole.

Gene
May 23, 2019, 09:31 PM
Been scratch building models Since 1960 .
I have Neither.. bandsaw Nor scroll saw.
Never had a need large enough to justify buying OR storing the things .
Bandsaws are what butchers use to cut up dead things with and they use chain mail gloves.. for reason.
Have a 12" disc sander though
May 23, 2019, 10:24 PM
Well a band saw, scroll saw, and 12" disc sander all fit the bell., make the job easier. I must be a butcher because the band saw is my favorite!!!
May 23, 2019, 11:10 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
While I own a Bandsaw and a Scroll saw, I have recently gone laser. For accurately and quickly cutting thin sheets of wood, it's hard to beat. A bit pricey, compared to a scroll saw, true. Though I'm hopeful my wife will eventually forget how much it cost...
May 24, 2019, 10:10 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
While I own a Bandsaw and a Scroll saw, I have recently gone laser. For accurately and quickly cutting thin sheets of wood, it's hard to beat. A bit pricey, compared to a scroll saw, true. Though I'm hopeful my wife will eventually forget how much it cost...
If we all had a laser cutter that would cut 1/4" aircraft plywood we might not need any saws. Problem is that most of us can't afford a big bad laser cutter.

May 24, 2019, 11:40 AM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_N
ooooh.....just saw the thing about building a Jigsaw "box"

Hmm...that changes the game since I have 3 jigsaws LOL.
That's all find and dandy but I've yet to see a jigsaw blade that is suitable for model airplane materials. Even the finest jig saw blade chews balsa edges to uselessness and the tooth count is too coarse on all but the metal blades for a decent job on thin plywood. And when the tooth count is that fine the blades lack the right taper to allow for tight turns in the wood. ....

Many years ago I did a jig saw conversion like that and that was my findings. Seemed like a good idea at the time. And perhaps for wood working it can be. But it's not a very useful option for model plane work.

Up to recently I was a HUGE fan of bandsaws over scroll saws and have one of each. I hated the scroll saw. But a couple of years back I decided to make it work or ditch it. I started by selecting and buying an assortment of Olson scroll saw blades. That was the only thing I was missing. With the proper blade for the materials used on model planes the shudder and jumping off the table went away and the cuts were far more smooth. Plus Olson makes really nice blades. Maybe not the best in the world but they sure are working like a treat for model use. My scroll saw has become my best buddy as a result with no other changes needed.

I would heartily recommend that you get one with variable speed if you opt for a scroll saw.

My saw (a older long out of production Ryobi) has a dial graduated in SPM (strokes per minute). And if they are accurate I tend to use around 500 to 600 SPM's for plywood and up around 1200 to 1400 (max) for balsa. I settled on one blade for most work on ply up to 1/8 and balsa up to 3/8 being the Olson Universal 2R. A 20TPI blade. For thicker plywood, pine, spruce and the like and really thick balsa blocks I switch the blade for a Universal 7R 11.5 tooth blade.

These seem like really fine toothed sizes. And they do slow down the cuts. But they give a nice finish and HUGELY reduce the lifting off the table and shudder in the stock as I'm cutting with them. And it was that constant lifting and shaking that really put me off scroll saws before.

Because I still have my small'ish bandsaw for wood working my scroll saw pretty much lives full time with the very fine 20TPI blade and when I need to do something thicker I take it over to the smaller bandsaw. So I don't often switch blades other than for doing inside cuts on thicker stock.

So it's a "no" from me on the jigsaw box and a "yes" on a variable speed scroll saw WITH Olson or other good name blades of the right tooth count.
May 24, 2019, 12:54 PM
I agree most do not have the funding for a laser cutter it also needs software too and training.
The other is some will take out the tolerances the laser hold great if you are working with metal
Wood ex-spans and contracts with the weather
All any needs to do is hand cut not hard to learn

Dave

h
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
If we all had a laser cutter that would cut 1/4" aircraft plywood we might not need any saws. Problem is that most of us can't afford a big bad laser cutter.

May 24, 2019, 02:24 PM
Get a good variable speed Scroll saw then buy a used bandsaw.

Did a quick search on Craigslist and found several old Craftsman 10 desktop bandsaws for $60.
May 24, 2019, 02:37 PM
The only problem with use bandsaw is the blades and new rubber bands
Most today uses 9" wheel and 59.5" blade or a 62" blade.
Custom blade and bands cost a lot.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguedog
Get a good variable speed Scroll saw then buy a used bandsaw.

Did a quick search on Craigslist and found several old Craftsman 10 desktop bandsaws for $60.
May 24, 2019, 02:48 PM
I like using both. Scroll saw for inside cuts and general use and the bandsaw for making my own triangle stock.

You can get 2 x 4 blocks of balsa at Aircraft Spruce 4 ft long. Take a scale with you so u can measure the wieght. Got a nice light piece at my local store.

Can make just about any shape i want because my bandsaw has a tilting deck. Triangle stock of any size easily done.
May 24, 2019, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdoor
The only problem with use bandsaw is the blades and new rubber bands
Most today uses 9" wheel and 59.5" blade or a 62" blade.
Custom blade and bands cost a lot.

Dave
Worth every penny too. You can find urethane bands on ebay for $20.

As for the blades as long as your not cutting aluminum or other hard substances a custom blade should last many years if jsut used for balsa and ply.
May 24, 2019, 04:53 PM
Yes but it size you need for both blades and bands.
I not saying not used but look forst for cost of blades and bands
If it standard size you better off for years to come.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguedog
Worth every penny too. You can find urethane bands on ebay for $20.

As for the blades as long as your not cutting aluminum or other hard substances a custom blade should last many years if jsut used for balsa and ply.
May 24, 2019, 06:31 PM
I use the Band Saw the most, but I really need both saws. In fact I have several of each. Keep looking for a good deal and you will run across a few.
May 24, 2019, 06:42 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
DEFINATELY the Band Saw......I have a Dremel Scroll Saw, it's as USEFUL as tits on a bull. It will not cut more than 3mm ply without catching, has NO GUIDES and CANNOT cut a straight line in ANYTHING. If you make a lot of jigsaw puzzles, then yep, a good tool, but if you want to cut wood.....then the Bandsaw is the only choice to make. 7" is TOO SMALL, 9" is good, but a 10" wheel is the best size for modelling I have found, it can do all you need from peanut to 1/2 scale size material and it WILL cut straight with a guide block.

Quick Reply