May 23, 2019, 12:10 PM
Thread OP
Poll

Bandsaw or Scroll Saw?

If you were starting from scratch with a balsa workshop, would you invest in a bandsaw OR a scroll saw?

The budget only funds one or the other..... so, what would you recommend?

Leaning towards a small benchtop bandsaw (9" wheel) plus a belt/disc sander combo. Already have a drill press and multiple dremel tools...
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2019, 12:28 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Do you build big or small?

Personally, I'd go with the scroll saw, as it will let you cut out internal sections on formers.

bandsaws are better for larger cutting.

I mostly build small stuff (1/2A through 20-size, and gliders) so a scroll saw fits my needs better.
May 23, 2019, 12:35 PM
Thread OP
thanks Mawz

Most stuff I'd be doing would be in the <50" wingspan size, anything bigger would be modular, and I do already have a table saw that I can get a fine tooth blade for.
May 23, 2019, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
ooooh.....just saw the thing about building a Jigsaw "box"

Hmm...that changes the game since I have 3 jigsaws LOL.
May 23, 2019, 12:58 PM
A man with too many toys
For scratch building you must have a Scroll Saw. Lots of parts like bulkheads and ribs with holes needs a saw that you can easily pop the blade out of for cutting inside holes. Also scroll saw is excellent for irregular shapes - like ribs.

Next I would get a power sander, belt or disk, I like disk sanders with a good adjustable table.

A band saw is also nice but it should be the second saw NOT the first. Not really required. I seldom use a band saw. It is good for making long straight cuts but you can cut balsa straight with a hobby knife and metal straight edge. There are lots of other things I would get before a band saw. They are also dangerous!

May 23, 2019, 03:42 PM
Pro Hoarder
Yep scroll saw for sure
Latest blog entry: In flight
May 23, 2019, 04:17 PM
I guess Iím a bandsaw guy. I have a jigsaw but I never use it. The bandsaw cuts faster and for me, more versatile. Can cut thin balsa or 4x4 blocks. For the few times I need an odd shape hole, I will use a jewelers or coping saw, rather than the jigsaw.
May 23, 2019, 05:14 PM
Been scratch building since 1981, using an ancient Dremel jigsaw ('Motoshop'). A bandsaw is nice, but a jigsaw is more flexible, especially when doing bulkhead cutouts, etc.

CD
May 23, 2019, 05:34 PM
I just sold my scroll saw, because I can cut most anything I need with the bandsaw, it is far more versatile. Internal cuts on formers can be done with a coping saw.
May 23, 2019, 05:44 PM
One of the more frequently posed questions and threads.... see the bottom of the screen to read more threads on the same question.

I vote scroll saw because of its versality in ALSO doing inside cuts.

Michael in Ontario, Canada
Last edited by 2michaely; May 24, 2019 at 10:48 AM.
May 23, 2019, 06:06 PM
Sooner or later you will have one of each. And a drill press and a disc/belt sander. A table saw comes in handy also.
May 23, 2019, 06:29 PM
I have used a Dremel scroll saw for over 50 years and never really thought I needed a bandsaw in my shop; they look nice but the Dremel saw is so easy to use and doesn't take much workspace. I like the convenience of quick changing the Dremel saw blades as needed and the opportunity to store the saw out of the way in the shop when not being used.

Joe
May 23, 2019, 06:45 PM
I like a small bandsaw the scroll saw I had never was used after the first bandsaw.

Note look bandsaw with blade you buy off the shelf. Mind uses 59.5 inch blade can found at Home Depot and Lowe's.
I found a bandsaw with fence witch great for long cuts.
Here is link to thr one I have it works great

https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...5105/206347731
You can find this on Amazon too for about same price.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_N
If you were starting from scratch with a balsa workshop, would you invest in a bandsaw OR a scroll saw?

The budget only funds one or the other..... so, what would you recommend?

Leaning towards a small benchtop bandsaw (9" wheel) plus a belt/disc sander combo. Already have a drill press and multiple dremel tools...
Last edited by smithdoor; May 23, 2019 at 07:06 PM.
May 23, 2019, 07:15 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
They're not the same tool, a comparison doesn't make sense. I own both types. Bandsaw is used for rough cuts and anything I want to cut quickly including metal. Scroll saw is used for fine/detail cuts. It's both the narrower blade width and the motion of the blade that make the difference for the scroll saw.

If you can only afford one, get the scroll saw. It won't do it as well, but it will do pretty much everything a bandsaw would do. The opposite is not true. A scroll saw can be used for stuff you'd be hard pressed to accomplish with a bandsaw.
May 23, 2019, 07:27 PM
The down side to scroll saw is long clean cuts , slower cuts, taper parts and it jumps up and down.
This why I do not use a scroll saw.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
They're not the same tool, a comparison doesn't make sense. I own both types. Bandsaw is used for rough cuts and anything I want to cut quickly including metal. Scroll saw is used for fine/detail cuts. It's both the narrower blade width and the motion of the blade that make the difference for the scroll saw.

If you can only afford one, get the scroll saw. It won't do it as well, but it will do pretty much everything a bandsaw would do. The opposite is not true. A scroll saw can be used for stuff you'd be hard pressed to accomplish with a bandsaw.

Quick Reply