Nov 16, 2019, 01:48 PM
I gave up on the aileron configuration. I used three hinge points. I kept the counter balance arms for appearance. I am not happy with the gap of both the flap and aileron. I do get plenty of aileron deflection with my setup.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2019, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrobbin
I gave up on the aileron configuration. I used three hinge points. I kept the counter balance arms for appearance. I am not happy with the gap of both the flap and aileron. I do get plenty of aileron deflection with my setup.
. Added photo.
Nov 16, 2019, 04:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrobbin
. Added photo.
That's a good compromise.
Nov 18, 2019, 02:24 AM
Thread OP

Stls for the new hinges

Just in case someone wants, these are the STL's for the new hinges, drop in for the delivered ones.
22 pieces
0.2mm layer
5 layers top, bottom and outline
Dec 22, 2019, 08:05 AM
I just bought this kit and stumbled on this thread. This is my first build so I am going low and slow. Thankyou for all the info!
I am planning to go with Polish colors from this book. For those of you with the German markings, I was wondering what size the crosses are? I searched "Polish" in the site linked above, and they have Polish insignia but they give the size in inches, so I don;t know what the scale is.
Dec 22, 2019, 03:31 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Well, the model works out near enough to 1/9th scale. The fullsize is 14300mm the model is 1600mm, divide one by the other and it's 8.95. To work out the sizes of the Balkenkreuz on a German version or the Szachownica Lotnicza on a Polish variant, without getting accurate measurements from a fullsize aircraft, can be difficult. The simplest method on a semi-scale model like this is to guess-timate the size. Look how close it gets to the leading and trailing edge of the wing, and size it accordingly. Same for the fuselage, don't forget the border on the Szachownica Lotnicza, the red is bordering the white, the white is bordering the red, and the border lines are 1/5th the size of the main boxes. There are a bunch of schemes out there for the Fi-156, and I am yet to see one I don't like, for such an UGLY aircraft, it does have some great paintjobs......just remember both National insignia were perfectly square. Size accordingly.
Dec 24, 2019, 12:00 AM
Thanks. I opened the box a few days early. I'm on Santa's naughty list anyway. Eyeballing the drawings, this thing is bigger than I realized. It looks like 1.5 inch insignia for the tail, and 3.5 for the wings. I'm leaning toward Polish air ambulance.
Dec 31, 2019, 09:19 PM
DW has apparently upgraded the kit. The horizontal stabilizer on my kit has a slot, and in the carbon fiber parts, there is a strip labeled T21 (to be confused with the other T21 on the drawings) that fits in the slot. The other thing I have learned is that if you cover the vertical stabilizer with the supplied balsa wood, it does not fit the slot in the fuselage. I made that mistake before I got to Captain Rob's video where he covered the tail parts and did not use balsa. I thought about planing down the fin but decided to widen the slot instead. Bob's your uncle, no worries.
Dec 31, 2019, 10:32 PM
Failure is not an option
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azoic
Well, the model works out near enough to 1/9th scale. The fullsize is 14300mm the model is 1600mm, divide one by the other and it's 8.95. To work out the sizes of the Balkenkreuz on a German version or the Szachownica Lotnicza on a Polish variant, without getting accurate measurements from a fullsize aircraft, can be difficult. The simplest method on a semi-scale model like this is to guess-timate the size. Look how close it gets to the leading and trailing edge of the wing, and size it accordingly. Same for the fuselage, don't forget the border on the Szachownica Lotnicza, the red is bordering the white, the white is bordering the red, and the border lines are 1/5th the size of the main boxes. There are a bunch of schemes out there for the Fi-156, and I am yet to see one I don't like, for such an UGLY aircraft, it does have some great paintjobs......just remember both National insignia were perfectly square. Size accordingly.
And be advised that the pic is of a "D" model, not the "C" as represented by the kit.

Beautiful is as beautiful does. In that respect, the Storch was beautiful.
Jan 07, 2020, 02:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyLightning
DW has apparently upgraded the kit. The horizontal stabilizer on my kit has a slot, and in the carbon fiber parts, there is a strip labeled T21 (to be confused with the other T21 on the drawings) that fits in the slot. The other thing I have learned is that if you cover the vertical stabilizer with the supplied balsa wood, it does not fit the slot in the fuselage. I made that mistake before I got to Captain Rob's video where he covered the tail parts and did not use balsa. I thought about planing down the fin but decided to widen the slot instead. Bob's your uncle, no worries.
Hi, Welcome to the tread.
Please, don't use those horns, make the mode as Captain Robs video and build interior push rods. Totally simple, i did the conversion in one evening and have no more slop in the controls.
A bit further in the thread, I have posted my insignias, you can use them as measures.
Have fun with the build!
Jan 07, 2020, 02:57 AM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning11
Hi, Welcome to the tread.
Please, don't use those horns, make the mode as Captain Robs video and build interior push rods. Totally simple, i did the conversion in one evening and have no more slop in the controls.
A bit further in the thread, I have posted my insignias, you can use them as measures.
Have fun with the build!
Page 4, Post #48 for anyone looking.
Jan 09, 2020, 09:53 PM
Thanks. I am nearing the end of the gluing balsa phase. Just a matter of adding pieces. I am changing the top of the cabin to more closely match the ambulance version. Also, in all of the pics I've seen of real planes the big beer can is much further forward than the model location. and there are two exhaust pipes coming out of the cowling (maybe the size of .22LR casings). Might be convenient places to add weight forward. The moving parts and servos and stuff is all new to me. I need to re-watch the vids on doing that. Do I still need to 3D print your hinges?

I ordered some custom decals from Callie Gaphics.
Jan 10, 2020, 03:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyLightning
Thanks. I am nearing the end of the gluing balsa phase. Just a matter of adding pieces. I am changing the top of the cabin to more closely match the ambulance version. Also, in all of the pics I've seen of real planes the big beer can is much further forward than the model location. and there are two exhaust pipes coming out of the cowling (maybe the size of .22LR casings). Might be convenient places to add weight forward. The moving parts and servos and stuff is all new to me. I need to re-watch the vids on doing that. Do I still need to 3D print your hinges?

I ordered some custom decals from Callie Gaphics.
You don't have to use the printed hinges, you can also use the supplied hinges and move the slots 6mm forward (as per the video)
The reason for the hinge mod is, you don't have enough throw at the aileron at that position.
Jan 17, 2020, 12:44 PM

fieseler storch

Hi everybody , though I would post some pictures of my nearly finished storch. Quite happy with the way its gone, with a lot of help from this forum and rc model geeks . Here is my power train, emax gt 28/20-06, aerostar 50a esc, 2200 mah 4s li po, 10x6 mas prop. Do you think I need to alter the prop, or any other components in the set up, any tips gratefully accepted. Hope to maiden it soon.
Jan 17, 2020, 02:49 PM
David,

very nice desert Storch. I am still building mine. Where did you get the decals?
Now let's see that maiden flight video!

Quick Reply