Sep 04, 2019, 07:18 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Sounds like the tail needs some work, maybe thinner frames? If DW could drop the width on the cutter from 1cm to .5cm and make everything half the dimension and thereby halve the weight. Would that make the back too flimsy then ? I haven't seen anything but pictures, but it seems everyone has the same complaint. The back end is too heavy. Maybe ditch the kit parts and make your own built up rudder and elevators. Seems silly to have to re-do major componentry to make it fly better though, why buy a kit only to throw half away??
Another example of the comprimise between full scale and small version's of many types. Might be one reason I had never seen the Harrier successfully done in model size, until a foamie came out.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2019, 03:15 AM
Thread OP
The rudder and elevator is very light, nothing to save there. Its really the short nose, versus the long tail. She is still very light and that bit of weight in the nose does not make any difference. She is flying nicely and slow. I just had no authority on the aileron, but was flying around OK, old style with just rudder and elevator.
Sep 05, 2019, 06:31 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
So in other words, you were actually FLYING it.......it wasn't flying you.
Sep 06, 2019, 11:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azoic
So in other words, you were actually FLYING it.......it wasn't flying you.
Well, that is in the eye of the beholder ;-)
I think I still had the main control, but she fought back sometimes.
Sep 07, 2019, 06:52 AM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Well it's no fun if they don't fight back a little, another scotch usually tempers the pain if your a bit on the weak side...sorry, I think that might not be quite what you meant....please unread this post.
Sep 08, 2019, 09:08 PM
Failure is not an option
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning11
If I build her again, I would fix the slats, that is a waste of time setting them up. Save the weight of the servos.
The real 156 Storch never had moveable wing slats anyway.....they were fixed to begin with, four panels total, taped together at the center. The inlet to outlet ratio was 4:1. Your lack of aileron response could be the slats stalling the wing at these low Reynolds numbers as well as possible getting the ratio incorrect. Nevertheless, the slats become ineffective the smaller you go on a model since you can't scale down an air molecule.

The later 256 Storch had retractable slats.
Sep 09, 2019, 12:57 AM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Quote:
Originally Posted by casor
........you can't scale down an air molecule.
So, now I know why farts linger in the cinema........
Sep 16, 2019, 12:54 PM

Ready for Flight

It is ready for a maiden flight as soon as the winds calm down a little bit. It ended up weighing 76 ounces and the motor is pulling is 853 watts so it should not have any problems getting off the ground. It is using a 4S 3000 graphene battery and did not require any nose weight to balance.
Sep 16, 2019, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azoic
So, now I know why farts linger in the cinema........
To see the credits, right?
Sep 16, 2019, 05:25 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
So, it's not so deaf people can enjoy them too..., bugger, I seem to have been misinformed....

Really LIKE the finished product bettsmums, the black and white really stands out, should look great in the air. And as all models go black in the air while flying, it will be interesting to find out if yours turns pink maybe.....it simply cannot stay black, that would be too easy....
Sep 16, 2019, 11:26 PM
Failure is not an option
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettsmums
It is ready for a maiden flight as soon as the winds calm down a little bit. It ended up weighing 76 ounces and the motor is pulling is 853 watts so it should not have any problems getting off the ground. It is using a 4S 3000 graphene battery and did not require any nose weight to balance.
Make sure you balance the model 33% from the LE of the wing, not the slats.....
Sep 17, 2019, 05:39 AM

Cg

I am balanced at 50mm from the wing leading edge which might be barely nose heavy. Since the real Storch had fixed slats I might move the control for the slats to a separate slider so that I can find the perfect slat location for flight and then leave it there.
Sep 22, 2019, 03:10 PM

Maiden Flight Complete

I got a couple of flights today. The first flight the top cabin hatch came off on takeoff because I guess the magnets were not seated properly. The Storch does not fly well when the cabin top is missing. It takes about 8 clicks of up elevator and has a lot of buffeting on the stabilizer. The second flight was much better after I removed the eight clicks of up elevator. The ailerons had enough authority to do a roll. I was not able to try the flaps as I guessed wrong on the down elevator mix to flaps. I landed on the main wheels without flaring and it came really close to a tip stall. I am going to add some nose weight and trim the aileron neutral up just a little bit and reduce the flap to elevator mix for the third flight.
Sep 22, 2019, 05:59 PM
Failure is not an option
I would call those flights a "success"! Flap usage will help prevent a tip stall since these effectively impart washout to the wings when deployed, forcing the roots to stall first and the plane to mush, which is what you want. With flap, the stall will propagate from the roots to the tips rather than vice versa, and losing aileron control with out them.

Quick Reply