Jun 16, 2019, 03:45 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Tells me you added too much weight and covering to the bum....However, I have had MANY models this size that had carry a 1/2 pound of butter and more.....to get the balance anywhere near the correct spot. If that's what this needs, then that's what this needs. It really rather simple. Will be interesting to see if DW got the calculations right. They messed it up BIG TIME with their Camel and DR1. MANY builders had no idea where the CG should be on those birds, as the marked points were about 30mm out on both. With little stubby noses, that is a LOT !!

Should make for an eventful maiden.......fresh Depends and a stiff drink before connecting the battery for that first flight maybe ...??
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2019, 06:29 AM
Thread OP
Probably that support wire addded some extra weight in the tail, but I rather have a more stabel elevator than some extra weight in the nose. The problem is, that they take the CG from the real aircraft.
I never use the supplied CG from the kits and rather run it through my calculator. From that I got a CG mor like 70mm from the leading edge, which correlates to the wides cord of the wing.
With the doubble or tripple decke to calculate the CG is tricky as you need the centre of ligt of each wing and then integrate over the width of all wings, plus you get a rotational drag on the tripple decker from the top wing, where you need additional CG forward, she is very tricky plane.

The main risk with the Storch is the massive elevator rudder, that can give you quite some reactions, so I tame her down with lots of expo, the rest (touch wood) should be fine.
Jun 17, 2019, 12:23 PM
Try remove the struts from the tail, for better CG.
Jun 17, 2019, 05:59 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Introduce the pilot to the French Resistance...they will fit him with lead shoes, that might help...
Jun 19, 2019, 05:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoik
Try remove the struts from the tail, for better CG.
That would look odd. Naa, 250g weight in the nose does the job. only 10% dead weight ;-)
Jun 25, 2019, 01:24 PM
yes looks worst, i want build lighter version for replacement.
Jun 26, 2019, 06:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoik
yes looks worst, i want build lighter version for replacement.
Gute Idee,
if you build them from balsa they are lots lighter and they don't need to actually hold a lot, as the tail is quite sturdy.

Our weather is crap at the moment, so I had no chance to test her, if the weather allows I'll try her out this weekend.
Aug 06, 2019, 06:56 AM
Nice work!
Aug 06, 2019, 04:14 PM
Work hard, play hard
Saw the link to this build log on the HK Fi-156 Product Page. I'm thinking seriously about picking one up from HK. I'm glad that you posted your build log.

One question: Is there any suspension/articulation in the gear struts, or are they rigidly attached to the fuselage?
Aug 06, 2019, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning11
Well I did it and bought the Dancing Wings Hobby Fieseler Fi 156 Storch 1600mm Wingspan on Banggood. I always wanted to own one, and after building 3D printed planes, Foamies, Scratch build 1.8m rotor diameter museum scale Mi-24 Hind and other large scel helicoters, I though it is time to go back to basics, what my father tought me 40 years ago. Good old balsa stick builds.
What can go wrong?

So I ordered the kit at Ailexpress, got scammed, fought for the refund, orderes it again at Banggood, waited 2 weeks and it landed on my doorsteps...with a bang. The complete box was mangled due to bad packaging and the usual good care of the couriers.
That started out very well, but hey, we are model builders, so lets fix that.
Just received a 1800mm J3 cub from bang good ( dancing wings model ). Box also arrived a bit crushed but all ok inside . It took 5 days to arrive EMS $ 5 shipping !

The moral is , it might be best to get these from HK as they seem to pack them better ( 2nd box ). But $ 30 cheaper from BG and faster . Take your choice .

P.S. I have a dancing wings Tiger Moth 1400mm which is good , after the required mods .
Aug 07, 2019, 06:07 AM
There is a complete DW Storch build video log on RCmodelgeeks youtube channel. There are 35 videos - very comprehensive.

DW Hobby Fieseler Fi 156 Storch Build Pt1 RC Model Geeks (21 min 46 sec)
Last edited by Jcflippen; Aug 07, 2019 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Added info link
Aug 11, 2019, 04:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxotnik
Saw the link to this build log on the HK Fi-156 Product Page. I'm thinking seriously about picking one up from HK. I'm glad that you posted your build log.

One question: Is there any suspension/articulation in the gear struts, or are they rigidly attached to the fuselage?
Hi, It is a very nice model, so I would buy it again. No, there is no suspension, but the wire is very soft, I had some harder landings, and that just bend the wires a bit and I bend them back.
If I build her again, I would fix the slats, that is a waste of time setting them up. Save the weight of the servos.
Last edited by lightning11; Aug 11, 2019 at 05:26 AM.
Aug 15, 2019, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning11
oh, wow, I moved the flight pack all the way forward, the controler is in the nose and I swapped the motor to a number sice up, so I have 3kg of trust
AND
still I had to put 230g of lead in the nose to balance her.

My overall weight is still quite good with 2490g (5.5lb)
I'm watching the RC geeks build and was wondering what size motor did you go to? and did you have the same cowl alignment issues that RC Geeks talks about?

Cheers Daryl B.
Aug 16, 2019, 05:11 AM
I got this plane from Hobbyking and I am also checking RC geeks build but I see some difference/improvements(?) in my kit. For example elevator now has a slot for carbon reinforcement. All I did so far are tail surfaces and today I will start with the wings.

lightning11, your build pics and descriptions are also great help so I don't rush and screw up .

I am thinking of using nitro/glow engine instead of electric motor. My hands are quite big and I don't need the hassle of battery change. Those XT60 connectors are tough to take apart.
I guess nitro engine will also give me more weight as forward as possible,.. to get the correct CG. I believe RC geek's second flight had a CG of 60-65mm from the LE.

What cc size do you guys recomment for this plane? I am considering 2 stroke and 4 stroke options.
Aug 17, 2019, 03:15 AM
Thread OP
That is an excellent change from them, that will be much better now with that carbon strip.

Getting the lipos in and out is not to bad, but you are rights ist a pain ;-) . For a Nitro I would use a .35 engine, that is enough for that light plane, a .50 and you get a sport model ;-).
I'm swinging a 12x8 prop.
Last edited by lightning11; Aug 17, 2019 at 03:20 AM.

Quick Reply