Thread Tools
Jun 09, 2019, 01:12 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy potatoes
I found a site with storch decals in a compatible scale... Anybody else planning on insignia? https://www.pyramidmodels.com/shop/p...orch_decal_set
Tailor made decals makes afull set...pricy though.

Coral draw here I come.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2019, 01:48 AM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Azoic's Avatar
I will be very interested to see how this one goes. I was asked by DW to do a review build, but they never sent the kit. Funny thing was they claimed it MY fault, as I supplied the wrong address for delivery....????? How can they know it's wrong unless they try to send something to it....???

I hope it flies well, curious why you bothered making working slats? Only the Fi-156B variant had them, all other variants had fixed slats, as the heads of the Luftwaffe didn't think the marginal speed increase gained with them retracted was important enough to worry about, it only made them capable of 185kph. This aircraft was ALL about how SLOW it could fly. The 175kph top speed was more than enough apparently. It will be interesting to see if they actually do anything at this size. Good luck.
Jun 09, 2019, 04:26 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
I made some decals, not gone overboard, just the minimum.
They are made for a decal printer, which can print white.
Jun 09, 2019, 04:35 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azoic
I hope it flies well, curious why you bothered making working slats? Only the Fi-156B variant had them, all other variants had fixed slats, as the heads of the Luftwaffe didn't think the marginal speed increase gained with them retracted was important enough to worry about, it only made them capable of 185kph. This aircraft was ALL about how SLOW it could fly. The 175kph top speed was more than enough apparently. It will be interesting to see if they actually do anything at this size. Good luck.
They probably will do not much, as in my setup they only move around 3mm. If they just add weight, I can easily remove the servo and fix them, at the moment is just for fun.
Jun 09, 2019, 03:55 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Azoic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning11
They probably will do not much, as in my setup they only move around 3mm. If they just add weight, I can easily remove the servo and fix them, at the moment is just for fun.
Nothing wrong with trying. I was going to make them full deploy slats aswell if DW ever sent the kit........I don't think they would do what I had hoped, the model is a bit small. I have seen many 1/4 scale models of many types, with slats, and they do VERY little if anything noticable in flight. This is even smaller, so I doubt you will see any effect except some OOH'S and AHHH'S on the ground........I just wish someone would do a 80" or bigger ARF of the Antinov An2. Such potential in there for a floater that flies at 75 degrees nose up down the runway, at walking pace......


Turn on subtitles if you cannot speak German.

AN-2 Pilot shows details & tells interesting storys about his Plane (7 min 37 sec)


How to take-off whilst walking down the runway......seriously??? We drive faster in a carpark than this takes off...

RIAT Fairford 1996 Utterly Butterly AN2 (1 min 34 sec)
Jun 10, 2019, 03:17 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azoic
Nothing wrong with trying. I was going to make them full deploy slats aswell if DW ever sent the kit........I don't think they would do what I had hoped, the model is a bit small. I have seen many 1/4 scale models of many types, with slats, and they do VERY little if anything noticable in flight. This is even smaller, so I doubt you will see any effect except some OOH'S and AHHH'S on the ground........I just wish someone would do a 80" or bigger ARF of the Antinov An2. Such potential in there for a floater that flies at 75 degrees nose up down the runway, at walking pace......


Turn on subtitles if you cannot speak German.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2_XoL-E4gU

How to take-off whilst walking down the runway......seriously??? We drive faster in a carpark than this takes off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdNbAQ34Z7g
Haha, cool video. I like his statement "Wenn der Motor aus geht, Knueppel an den Bauch und warten bis der Wald kommt" Basically no tendency to stall, just move the stick all the way back and let her glide down.

I have a Mig-29 with slates, there you can see quite some change when they are deployed, but on a prop, I haven't tried yet. But you are right, you can't get the plane that slow and with enough angle of attack that this makes a big difference.
Just a party trick :-).
Last edited by lightning11; Jun 10, 2019 at 04:38 AM.
Jun 10, 2019, 04:45 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Decals printed, next step finishe painting, then applying the decals.
Jun 11, 2019, 04:29 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Paint is coming on.
Brush painted, not as nice as spray, but my spray booth is not set up propperly, yet.
Jun 12, 2019, 01:45 PM
Registered User
lightning, you got some nice stuff...
Jun 15, 2019, 06:28 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
a little progress, as I did not have much time tis week to spend on the model.
But the electronics are installed and the windows went in.
Jun 15, 2019, 08:11 AM
Registered User
Nice trick with the magnets. I wish I had seen it sooner... Their assembly sequence is all screwed up.
Jun 15, 2019, 08:42 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy potatoes
Nice trick with the magnets. I wish I had seen it sooner... Their assembly sequence is all screwed up.
Yeah, the instructions are rough guidelines ;-)
Technically you ned to install the windows BEFORE you put the greenhouse together..have fun painting that.
I left the glazing for the downward facing windows out, some aiflow for the cooling.
Jun 15, 2019, 11:15 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Decals are applied, now some drying time.
And then a final cover of semi gloss clear to seal the decals.
And then lets hope that the weather next weekend is nice for a testflight...or two.
Jun 16, 2019, 02:09 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Put her together to check the CG...totally tail heavy.
The flight pack needs to go into the motor box, all the way forward. OK, lets take all apart again.
Jun 16, 2019, 03:37 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
oh, wow, I moved the flight pack all the way forward, the controler is in the nose and I swapped the motor to a number sice up, so I have 3kg of trust
AND
still I had to put 230g of lead in the nose to balance her.

My overall weight is still quite good with 2490g (5.5lb)


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video Durafly Fieseler Fi 156 Storch robertmax Scale ARF/RTF 0 Apr 12, 2017 01:49 PM
Video Durafly Fieseler Fi 156 Storch robertmax Electric Warbirds 0 Apr 12, 2017 01:47 PM
Robbe Fieseler FI 156 "Storch" dave_lilley Scale Kit/Scratch Built 0 Jun 04, 2002 01:16 AM