May 29, 2019, 05:13 AM
Thread OP
Oh, and a bit of doping
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2019, 03:59 AM
Thread OP
OK, the basic build is complete. Tomorrow I'll start with covering the wings and fuselage.

I fixed the elevator. I used the a 1.5mm pushrod and drilled that in. That is now rock solid.

I also had to drill the wing holder on top, the holes don't align, but that is a small problem to solve.
After that I installed the tail wheel, the instructions are very light on that. I made some changes by installing the collect below the aluminum holder, as the main force is upwards, so that is holding the wheel in place. I then bend the rest of the whire to fit into the horizontal slot of the rudder, so it is slaved to the rudder servo.
Last edited by lightning11; Jun 01, 2019 at 05:10 PM.
Jun 01, 2019, 04:00 AM
Thread OP
Getting there ;-)
Jun 01, 2019, 05:36 AM

crushed box

Hi Lightning, Had the same problem with my order from Banggood, arrived at Royal Mail with a crushed box so was rejected and sent back to China. After a delay received a refund via Pay Pal and reordered from Germany. Very well double boxed with no damage at all. Been watching your build with interest as it will be my winter project, gets cold here in the UK. Good luck and hope she flies slow and scale. David.
Jun 01, 2019, 09:51 AM
Thanks for posting the pic of the FMS servo harness. I'm ordering one of them today from Tower Hobby. I've been out of the hobby for the past 30 years, so a lot of things have come and gone while I was away...
Jun 01, 2019, 03:04 PM
Manzano Laser Works
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning11
There is a bit of a trick re the fit of Part W11.
Good tip on W11! Your assembly sequence worked perfectly!

There was a bit of head-scratching when I found a part labeled "W8" that is a duplicate of part "W9-1". Apparently the odd W-8 is mis-labeled, it should be W9-1.

-=t=-
Last edited by TomJacoby; Jun 02, 2019 at 10:51 AM.
Jun 01, 2019, 03:14 PM
Manzano Laser Works
Quote:
I just had a look re the batteries. I use 3S 3300mAh. They seem to fit quite well and can be removed through the top.
The Storch has a fairly short nose, so I was thinking that the battery would need to be further forward, in the motor mount box. Maybe not...

The FMS multi-servo connector is a great idea!

-=t=-
Jun 02, 2019, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
OK, I connected the FMS multiservo wing connector.
I really love that board, it is quite versatile and makes connecting the wings easy.

I use only two connectors, as I slave the slats and teh flaps together and I use chanel 3 and 6 for individual ailerons.
The chanel numbering doesnt fit for my Graupner Hott set, but that doesnt matter. It is very easy to figure out what teh connectors are for.

Someone asked where to get them from: have a look here
Next, covering the wings.
Jun 02, 2019, 08:15 PM
Thread OP
Let the magic begin.
First I applied dope to seal the wood and gave it a light sand after it was dry.
Then a layer of heat glue at all areas where the fabric will be stuck to and let that dry.

Then cut the fabrick and basically work like with oracover to cover the wing.
Once you have done one side and have tacked on teh other side, you need to apply more glue to the overlapping area, let it dry and then fold that over.
Once that is done, you apply another layer of dope and let the whole thing dry.
It all takes a bit longer than with oracover, but the looks is like the real thing.
Jun 04, 2019, 05:11 AM
Thread OP
Most of the parts are now covered and gope applied. after a light sand they are smooth as and ready for painting.

Next step, the control system.
I'm not a fan of the proposed solution with these two sticks, I like my golden rod, so installed a set of those.

Then I went on to the canopy.
A bit of a pain. I cut along the amlost invisible cut line.
Then I installed the two support pieces and did a testfitt.
After around an hour cutting, fitting an cutting she sort of fit.
I use PVU craft glue to glue the canopy to the support pieces while in place. Magnets hold everyting in place while the glue dries.
Looks like it worked.
Jun 04, 2019, 05:24 AM
Thread OP
Final piece..the main body.
I did some modifications, as the glass house did not really look correct.
I used a screenshot from a Kermit Weeks Storch (i'll use his a reference for painting and marking) as reference.
It just did not look right, and also I was not sure how I could cover it that way.
So scrap box out and some bals strips cut and applied. to cover the top gap and the step behind the greenhouse.
I made it that way, that the canopy is also supported a bit better.
Jun 04, 2019, 12:11 PM
Oboy! My kit arrived today! It was in pretty good shape, with only two of the balsa sticks being broken in half. Everything else appears intact, as well. The balsa was some really lightweight stuff, anyway. If i had a local hobby shop I might prefer to replace them with some better balsa, but the shops are all gone. We'll see...
Jun 04, 2019, 01:40 PM
Hello,

i am build current same plane. but i think you have little problems with you cover. Other Problem the aileron rudder horn, it is on my kit a lack construction. the horn has wrong position to work.

I think, the developer has never bulid to final maiden flight. the blueprint is a little bit buggy.

I add photos from your bulid state, problems are in red line. second photos my current build state, but current cover one wing and elevator with oracover.
Jun 04, 2019, 08:39 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoik
Hello,

i am build current same plane. ............................
I add photos from your bulid state, problems are in red line. ..............................
Welcome to the rcgroups forums Stoik! I hope you enjoy this experience as much as I have.
A little tip: I suggest you fill in your avatar with your location. That might assist later on when you, or others, are looking for materials and other such things. Besides, it just provides the reader with some more info on your situation, environment, etc.
But, Wow! You clearly have a critical eye. I could not see the "problems". Please don't scrutinise my recent covering job with laminating film.............much rougher than this one........................

Quote:
second photos my current build state, but current cover one wing and elevator with oracover.
Very nice.
I look forward to seeing some of the detail of the undercarriage employed on this model and how much faithful, or otherwise, it is to the full size original.
The full size undercart is a marvel of engineering.

Jim.
Jun 04, 2019, 10:00 PM
Manzano Laser Works
Quote:
Final piece..the main body.
I did some modifications, as the glass house did not really look correct.
I used a screenshot from a Kermit Weeks Storch (i'll use his a reference for painting and marking) as reference.
It just did not look right, and also I was not sure how I could cover it that way.
So scrap box out and some bals strips cut and applied. to cover the top gap and the step behind the greenhouse.
I made it that way, that the canopy is also supported a bit better.
Lightning, are you going to install the tiny screws around the windows?

I wonder where the designer got the idea for all those screws, as the full-scale aircraft doesn't seem to have them. I will omit them from my model.

-=tom=-

Quick Reply