May 23, 2019, 12:56 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Fieseler Fi 156 Storch

Well I did it and bought the Dancing Wings Hobby Fieseler Fi 156 Storch 1600mm Wingspan on Banggood. I always wanted to own one, and after building 3D printed planes, Foamies, Scratch build 1.8m rotor diameter museum scale Mi-24 Hind and other large scel helicoters, I though it is time to go back to basics, what my father tought me 40 years ago. Good old balsa stick builds.
What can go wrong?

So I ordered the kit at Ailexpress, got scammed, fought for the refund, orderes it again at Banggood, waited 2 weeks and it landed on my doorsteps...with a bang. The complete box was mangled due to bad packaging and the usual good care of the couriers.
That started out very well, but hey, we are model builders, so lets fix that.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2019, 01:04 AM
Thread OP

First step

The kit comes with all the necessary parts, nicely cut, with some limited picture instructions and wing plans.

The first thing was to repay the broken cowling.
I cut the cracks with a disk and looked for the engine firewall. The kit has two options, on for electric and one for methanol, as I'm planning to build electric, I use the nitro formes as my plug to keep the cowling in shape, whike the risine dries.
So glassed the coling up form teh inside and placed the formers so everything can dry.
The next day I clend her up and she was as new.
In the meantime I started on the assembly of the fuselage.
The parts fit perfectly and I dry assembled quite a section without any glue. So far i'm positively surprised.
May 23, 2019, 01:07 AM
Thread OP
The assembled fuselage.
To find the parts, you need to have patients. They are very well nested and finding them in that big stack of parts is a bit of a challange.
Most parts are well labled on the parts itself, so even if they fall out, you know what they are.
Some don't have the marking..good luck finding them later, or find a system to lable and keep them...as a Kiwi, we go by luck.
Last edited by lightning11; May 23, 2019 at 03:37 AM.
May 23, 2019, 03:43 AM
Thread OP
A litt bit of progress this evening.
The kit continues to go together well.
Just finished the motorbox and mounted the motor carrier.
I like those little details like the tail gun and the pilot seat, a little bit of Sanding and some paint and these things lok good. Lets see if I can print a little Pilot figure.
May 24, 2019, 03:55 PM
Congratulations! I just ordered this kit a week ago, and today my status changed to shipped, but I'm sure it'll be a while before it arrives. I'll be following your progress. Good luck!
May 24, 2019, 03:59 PM
Oh yeah... What's your choice of motor, ESC and battery? Is it the stuff they recommend from their site?
May 25, 2019, 05:36 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy potatoes
Oh yeah... What's your choice of motor, ESC and battery? Is it the stuff they recommend from their site?
I used the motor and esc's I'm used to. I'm going with 4S setup.
May 25, 2019, 05:50 AM
Thread OP
The last two days I got the main work done for the fuselage and the tail.
Tomorrow I'll do the ailerons and flaps, and then th ewings.
Tomrrow I'll have an appointment with our local guru for coverings, lets see what he recons I should use.

The cockpit frames are quite a handfull to position. I think the way is to build the frame forst and then fit the side panels.

The first little problem is the bridge in between the elevators. They place the lettering directly in the center and have weakend the part significantly.
The elevator is controled from one side only, so the bridge has to transfere the lode to the other side. That wont happen with that setop, mor than likely it will actually snapp. They should have used a spruce centre spar for the elevator.
I'll cover this with a 1.5mm carbon plate, that should work, too.
Last edited by lightning11; May 25, 2019 at 06:37 PM.
May 25, 2019, 10:29 AM
Man, that's some fast building! Thanks for the heads up on the elevator center. Maybe I can insert a wire brace that goes across between the sides...
Last edited by tommy potatoes; May 25, 2019 at 06:45 PM.
May 26, 2019, 03:04 AM
Thread OP
I'm pretty much done with the Ailerons, Flaps and Slates.
As before the pasrt go pretty well together. The parts are a bit lose, but wehn you apply PVA gloe that is fine.
I use mostly PVA as these pasrt need to be sanded flush later, and CA reates a nasty ridge
For the endpieces A11, I shaped them before I glued them into place. I marked them using piece A13 and the cut tem on my bandsaw and finished shaping them with a sanding block. Only once they fit, I glued them in place. Doing that afterwards would have done a lot of damage.
Next steps covering.
May 26, 2019, 03:13 AM
Thread OP
Now, for the fuselage and wing cover.
I went to my pal who owns Hangar One (www.hangarone.co.nz) and had a chatt what to use for covering the wings and fuselage.
He gave me the advise to use SIG Coverall cloth.
As a good busines man he sold me the lot, so I happily I made my way home this afternoon, to learn some new tricks.
He showd me how to apply that, so what can go wrong? (I heard that before)

First I need to dope the parts (not the model builder ;-) )
Then apply the heat activated glue and the cover like with monocote.
Sounds easy.
Last edited by lightning11; May 29, 2019 at 05:11 AM. Reason: spelling
May 28, 2019, 10:09 PM
Manzano Laser Works
My Storch kit also arrived in a crushed box with smashed cowl.

Anyhow, I started work on the fuselage on Saturday, and am pleased with the overall engineering and parts fit.

BUT there is one major problem: no way to change batteries between flights. There's no room for a nose hatch, and no way to reach into the cabin area when the wings are mounted.

Have you come up with a solution for this?

-=Tom=-
May 29, 2019, 01:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJacoby
My Storch kit also arrived in a crushed box with smashed cowl.

Anyhow, I started work on the fuselage on Saturday, and am pleased with the overall engineering and parts fit.

BUT there is one major problem: no way to change batteries between flights. There's no room for a nose hatch, and no way to reach into the cabin area when the wings are mounted.

Have you come up with a solution for this?

-=Tom=-
Hi Tom,
that is sad!
I complained at Banggood and they refundend $NZ90 to me, have a try.
But I fixed mine, and she looks pretty good again.

I have not come to the Battery Mount yet. Depends a bit on the CG if the battery needs to go into the motor mount box, or into the cabine. But I'm certaily will make it work that you can change the battery at the field.
I'll let you know.
May 29, 2019, 04:59 AM
Thread OP
I just had a look re the batteries. I use 3S 3300mAh. They seem to fit quite well and can be removed through the top.

Quick Reply