May 22, 2019, 10:18 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcposter
Thing is, none of those things alone determines personhood.

Let the women involved make this decision for themselves.
Are some are past the place for decision at all?

I hope this is not real, it is one of the saddest pics I have seen in a while, where is the thoughtful humanity? I would force no one to have a child they don't want, but let's not dehumanize ourselves.
May 23, 2019, 03:30 AM
Useful Idiot
Thanks for posting the article. It is one of the few that I have seen on any controversial subject that acknowledges the arguments of both sides.
May 23, 2019, 04:00 AM
Official Old Git!
I thought it was very balanced and calmly argued, as well.
May 23, 2019, 04:20 AM

population control is observed throughout nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee
What does the latter fact have to do with the former observation?
killing one of your own species varies from species to species

some species will never kill one of their own yet dogs naturally kill an extra one or more in the litter while new dominant male lions will kill all babies not his and a large baby raptor will eat a smaller sibling

humans make ever changing rules for themselves as to who what when is allowed to be killed, is post-natal population control which allows or effectively tolerates infant mistreatment shootings and war and bad medicine etc. more ethical and effective than pre-natal pre-birth?

these are arbitrary social issues for humans since the specifics are not natural
May 23, 2019, 04:54 AM
Official Old Git!
Indeed - 'birth' must be protected - so we can ignore/abuse/kill them as they become adults.

Typical human madness!
May 23, 2019, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
It's been a baby or the equivalent in another language, for many millennia, until scientists adopted the nomenclature. Nowadays, calling it a fetus, is an attempt to divorce the emotive impact of carrying a living being, and the very real emotive cost of killing what one is carrying inside them,
Best post on the internet today.

Remember when we used to say:

"That woman is with child"

"Honey, we're going to have a baby!!"

"Grandma guess what, I'm going to have a brother! ...or maybe a sister. Either way we don't care!"

And "makin' babies" was a euphemism for having sex?

Whether the human life is hours old or 9 months old, abortion kills it.
There is no denying that.
All the word play convolutions in the world will not change that fact.

So, keep explaining how killing a baby is something that should be promoted and celebrated and any defense of unborn human life is an extreme position.

Many, many years from now our society and culture will be lumped together with other cultures like the Canaanites & Aztecs, et al, who practiced human sacrifice as well a genocidal groups like the Nazis.
May 23, 2019, 05:59 AM
Official Old Git!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_
Best post on the internet today.

Remember when we used to say:

"That woman is with child"

"Honey, we're going to have a baby!!"

"Grandma guess what, I'm going to have a brother! ...or maybe a sister. Either way we don't care!"

And "makin' babies" was a euphemism for having sex?

Whether the human life is hours old or 9 months old, abortion kills it.
All the word play convolutions in the world will not change that fact.

So, keep explaining how killing a baby is something that should be promoted and celebrated and any defense of unborn human life is an extreme position.

Many, many years from now our society and culture will be lumped together with other cultures like the Canaanites & Aztecs, et al, who practiced human sacrifice as well a genocidal groups like the Nazis.
Did you miss out things like the Vietnam War, Iraq War etc and so forth from your list - or was it especially selected.

And let's not forget ...

"Whether the human life is hours old or 9 months old, a baby, teen, adult, old person - killing them... kills it.
All the word play convolutions in the world will not change that fact."
May 23, 2019, 06:04 AM
Any guy who announces to his friends that he and his wife are going to have a baby by saying "We're pregnant" should be shot.

I might be a namby pamby commie pinko, but that's where I draw the line.
May 23, 2019, 06:05 AM
Figure Nine Champ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam
And let's not forget ...

"Whether the human life is hours old or 9 months old, a baby, teen, adult, old person - killing them... kills it.
All the word play convolutions in the world will not change that fact."
Yes, we should never forget that.
May 23, 2019, 06:09 AM
Official Old Git!
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
Yes, we should never forget that.
Good.

I'll await your protestations the next time your country starts blowing the crap out of others - and I suspect, looking at the US/Iran situation it'll be quite soon.
May 23, 2019, 06:36 AM
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee
Any guy who announces to his friends that he and his wife are going to have a baby by saying "We're pregnant" should be shot.

I might be a namby pamby commie pinko, but that's where I draw the line.
Heck yeah. And people who call themselves "Pet Parents". We're pet owners people.

----------------

I'll ignore Norms constant droning on about the US.
May 23, 2019, 06:38 AM
Official Old Git!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon Shawn
Heck yeah. And people who call themselves "Pet Parents". We're pet owners people.

----------------

I'll ignore Norms constant droning on about the US.
I'm not sure you did.....

May 23, 2019, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon Shawn
Steady on, our cat is our (my wife and I) "fur baby".... until we have human babies of our own.

We get to play Mummy and Daddy with the cat when we're not playing Dr's and Nurses with each other
May 23, 2019, 07:56 AM

Abuse of words with improper, unclear and unscientific nomenclature?

Questions:

When is gunpowder actually gunpowder?

Is it gunpowder when you get the separate ingredients but BEFORE mixing?? That is, sure it can become gunpowder, but will it work like gunpowder if not mixed into FUNCTIONING gunpowder, able to propel fireworks and bullets?

is THIS gunpowder?

or is THIS gunpowder?

is THIS an omelete?

or does it have only the POSSIBILITY to become an omelete (after some time and work: mixing, cooking)

"I knew you when you were only a twinkle in your father's eye"

Youth Wants To Know
May 23, 2019, 08:49 AM
Figure Nine Champ
Your counter example fails, because the ingredients are not in the process of becoming an omelette if left unmolested, while a fetus will become a person, naturally, if left unmolested.

Quote:
Abuse of words with improper, unclear and unscientific nomenclature?
Yeah, you weren't very scientific there with your analogy.

Quick Reply