May 22, 2019, 09:48 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

AliExpress- too good to be true!!!!

Was looking for some USB/LED modules for some Naza FC's and they seem to have become pretty rare things recently. Web search brought up AliExpress as having the 'barebones' units as fitted to Phantom drones at a decent price.
I have never used AE before because they didn't accept Paypal but it seems they now do so decided to give them a try. Had a quick look on the site at RC stuff (as you do) and found a real bargain of 4pcs of Racerstar 20amp ESC's for a silly price of 4.86. I had recently missed a similar deal on Banggood so was delighted when an order for two sets went through OK.

Well you can guess what happened. I received the package with TWO esc's. Went back to the AE page and sure enough the ad was definitely for four ESC's and even showed a picture of four ESC's. My Paypal notification even stated the quantity was four pieces.
Further down the listing there was 'Color- 1pcs' which I hadn't even noticed (I really wasn't worried about the color!)

Mailed the seller 'Air Toy' and received a polite chinglish response to the effect that I got what I ordered.

Well I guess it was too good to be true and I should have known it but still annoying that the ad was so blatantly offering a set of four pcs. Don't imagine there's much point in trying to take it any further for a few pounds.

Shame of it is that the USB/LED units and two UBEC's I ordered also arrived very quickly and were exactly what I needed (from 'RC Hobby Warehouse' and 'Toy Bar store' respectively).

I suppose the moral of this is to really look hard when ordering from Chinese companies especially small ones and if you can, mail them and check if that 'bargain' really is a bargain.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2019, 03:56 AM
most exalted one
iirc you can claim this with ae because seller doesn't get paid unless you say you got what you ordered or a fairly long time goes by( I forget how long). Don't let them get away with it!!!
I got burned too when they pictured 3 items and minutely stated 1 piece. I did not let the seller off!!
May 23, 2019, 05:17 AM
Drone Collector
+1 on the seller doesn't get paid until you are happy.

Check your my orders section and simply open a dispute. You will most likely be offered a partial refund.

I have found Ali quite dependable if any problems. Once bought a pile of JJRC H8C motors and parts, only half the stated amount turned up. So i disputed it and got a 50% refund.

Ali express standard shipping fairly fast and informative as well.
May 23, 2019, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for the advice. I have just opened a dispute and claimed 75% refund. I'll come back and let you know what happens.

Got to say I was a bit dubious about using AE but am really happy with the other two orders which arrived quickly and were packed well. I've also had no bad experiences with Banggood which I've been using for a couple of years now. Only one problem with half an order not arriving and they immediately sent the missing item and appologised.
Same with Hobbyking who have some really good deals on batteries and props and have always delivered quickly.

Still wish I could get what I want from UK sellers at similar prices. T9 Hobbysport are often very competitive on price and are very reliable but seldom have the bits I want apart from Frsky radio gear. They have great offers on for ESC's but every time I check they are pretty much sold out and haven't restocked.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Chinese stuff and prices if the UK follows the US and ditches Huawei as our 5G supplier???
May 23, 2019, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60
iirc you can claim this with ae because seller doesn't get paid unless you say you got what you ordered or a fairly long time goes by( I forget how long). Don't let them get away with it!!!
I got burned too when they pictured 3 items and minutely stated 1 piece. I did not let the seller off!!
Yeah a few of us noted some unclarities with what was probably a similar style of BG ad, and you can see the reaction we got. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-servo-combo-s
Seen a number of ambiguous ads on sites like AE and BG.

The payment process you mentioned is a good thing and seems to be taking over as the business model, such as AE and BG listing products that are shipped by individual vendors. Done properly, the actual shipper has incentive to ship your stuff quickly, so they can get paid, versus getting your money and dragging their feet. The past model of buying stock, selling it off before obsolescence, paying your bills/employees and making a profit (which a number of vendors failed miserably at) requires both knowledgeable and responsible people. Some vendors have also sold on consignment, and manufacturers are tired of getting burned on lack of payments. I believe the perils of the latter mentioned business model is why a once large distributor seems to be losing ground to AE and BG.
May 25, 2019, 03:24 AM
Thread OP
Well AliExpress were very good about my complaint and the vendor has now agreed to refund 75% of my money as compensation for bad advertising.

I feel a lot more comfortable about using AE now I know they respond well to genuine complaints.

Thanks to you all for the help and comments.

All the best

John
May 26, 2019, 05:37 AM
Drone Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrev
Thank you for the advice. I have just opened a dispute and claimed 75% refund. I'll come back and let you know what happens.

Got to say I was a bit dubious about using AE but am really happy with the other two orders which arrived quickly and were packed well. I've also had no bad experiences with Banggood which I've been using for a couple of years now. Only one problem with half an order not arriving and they immediately sent the missing item and appologised.
Same with Hobbyking who have some really good deals on batteries and props and have always delivered quickly.

Still wish I could get what I want from UK sellers at similar prices. T9 Hobbysport are often very competitive on price and are very reliable but seldom have the bits I want apart from Frsky radio gear. They have great offers on for ESC's but every time I check they are pretty much sold out and haven't restocked.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Chinese stuff and prices if the UK follows the US and ditches Huawei as our 5G supplier???
Way to go on the dispute, and +1 on the whoarewe (Huawei) thing. Crazy if you ask me. I have a Huawei P20, and i can honestly say its the best blower i have ever owned. Picks up a signal indoors, and i live in a thick walled house. So i would guess any 5G equipment they made would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrev
Well AliExpress were very good about my complaint and the vendor has now agreed to refund 75% of my money as compensation for bad advertising.

I feel a lot more comfortable about using AE now I know they respond well to genuine complaints.

Thanks to you all for the help and comments.

All the best

John
Way to go again John!

Result

Quick Reply