May 21, 2019, 07:38 PM
Aviation Nerd
Thread OP
Discussion

Whatís a good IMAC plane for a first time IMAC pilot?

Iím interested in flying IMAC and Iím curious to what is the best starting plane for competition. Iíve been looking at CARF Extras and Edges. Would those be good to start with?
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2019, 09:47 PM
need a bit more information - what wingspan and engine displacement are you looking at? you want as big as you can afford, up to 40%, and pretty much any of the offerings by the known mfrs are competitive.
May 26, 2019, 08:10 AM
Most feel an Edge is not a good choice for IMAC. It seems like most of what you will see at competitions is some version of a Extra. Not saying there aren’t others that are good. Just some information.
May 26, 2019, 09:33 PM
count me among the apparent minority that would recommend an Edge as an excellent airplane for the IMAC lower classes.
May 27, 2019, 07:57 PM
Aviation Nerd
Thread OP
Thanks for the info. I won't be getting an edge.
May 27, 2019, 10:36 PM
Carf 3 meter Extra is a good choice.
May 29, 2019, 03:26 AM
My last airplane was a CARF and I miss it dearly. I wish I could fly another.
Jun 01, 2019, 05:56 PM
If it's an ARF you're interested in, what I've seen at events is a few real nice ExtremeFlight planes. They have a Laser in at least 2 sizes, and there's a guy that's spanking the Sportsman class here in the SW region with a 93" Laser w/DA70 twin. He's done very well They're reasonable money it seems.

My friend just bought and has now flown a Pilot 107" Extra 330SC w/120cc twin engine, which also looks to be a beautiful plane... also available in a few sizes as well. Real nice plane, and he's doing an awesome job handing it... We're heading to a competition next week where we'll both be flying.

Some of it might depend on a persons funds, none of them are cheap. There might be some nice used offerings out there as well....

So yeah... someone mentioned size.. what size would you be looking at?... A larger plane does take a larger vehicle and/or trailer to haul FYI.
Jun 01, 2019, 09:23 PM
RcAiir.com
Super Chipmunk
Jun 01, 2019, 09:52 PM
If you wanted to get your feet wet in IMAC, you don't need to go buy the latest greatest to enter a competition.

You can fly absolutely anything in Basic class... size doesn't even matter. Of course it's nice to have an IMAC worthy plane, but not necessary to give it a try. Of course an IMAC specific plane will fly better then most sport planes of different varieties, and that's nice too, it would give a new pilot a better chance no doubt.

In the upper classes(Sportsman and beyond) there is a criteria for entrants to have a plane of certain characteristics, but even that is nothing unknown, and many/most aerobatic style models will fall into that criteria. Be aware though, not all models fly the same.

Depending on what you might have planned or already know, I would suggest going into the IMAC site and looking up the sequences, and studying a bit about those. I did that quite a while ago, while I studied up on the rules a bit.

It's great friendly competition, and I've learned so much in the last year or two just by studying and being involved with some locals, and just started into competition this year. It was a real eye opener.
Jun 04, 2019, 08:21 PM
There is no "best" IMAC design.
There are "best" fliers tho
So-- buy something that is very easy to feed and fly
Straight n light and excess power are needed
A good .50 gasser at 20 or less pounds is a reasonable target.
Then fly it a LOT
there are no magic trim arrangements - trim it however it makes it easy for you to fly it
If you are lucky ,you will have a friend who will help you learn to fly straight and round maneuvers
It is too easy to fall into habits which look good to you but wrong to most judges
If you lack building skills and or time - buy a good straight LIGHT model
You can likely have two good 50 birds for the price of one 150 size and this leaves you a backup for practice
My personal favorite was a 80 powered one - but two of those requires a van or trailer
there are really good 50 sizers out there .
Jun 04, 2019, 09:02 PM
I started this year with a 27% scale Midwest Extra 300S I'd built 17yrs ago. I have a 50cc engine, and it's perfect for Basic and learning the ropes. Very affordable(well, I already owned it)... point is, I've placed at each event with it. My very first event out I got first place. We've got a contest this weekend, and I'm hoping for another one!

As Mr. hanson says too, fly fly fly!!... and yes, hopefully you have some locals that are well into the game. I do, and they're great friends, as well as mentors... and it's definitely paid off. You will learn a whole new level of discipline when flying... far more challenging then just keeping a plane in one piece and boring holes in the sky.

After flying for 40yrs I thought I knew how to fly... haha... well... what I was is very good at keeping a plane in one piece and not crashing.... After studying and learning a bit about IMAC and what it's about, my eyes are just now opening. I'm really enjoying it too.

I definitely agree with richard though that a 50cc is a great size... and flying ALOT is key... and learning what straight and round is... good stuff right there!

Quick Reply