This thread is privately moderated by bill_delong, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 21, 2019, 07:20 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
Mini-Review

PR Racing SB401-T (1/10 Mini Truggy)

This will be an evolving thread as I build and review a PR Racing SB401-T (1/10 Mini Truggy). Look for regular updates to this post as I plan to race this buggy in the 4WD Mod Truck class at Thornhill Racing Circuit (Turf Track). Full disclosure, I recently picked up a sponsorship through PR Racing so be prepared to expect some bias, but I will do my best to identify potential areas to consider making upgrades to improve the quality of this kit where applicable.

A quick background on me: I started club racing around 2010 and have slowly improved my skills to where I'm one of the slowest of the fast guys at the club in my area, ha! I typically average between 96% -98% consistency and will occasionally pick up a win for club racing and often make the A Main for regional events. My first 1/10 Truggy was the HoBao Hyper10TT which I raced about 5 years ago until the class died. Then the class came back about about a year ago when TEKNO released the ET410 which I have been racing since 2018. I look forward to comparing the PR truck with it's predecessors!

Hits:
  • Loaded with upgrades in the kit for exceptional value!
  • Global Team Driver Support with setups posted on Facebook and PetitRC
  • One of the lowest LCG designs I've seen on the market!
  • Thin 2mm aluminum chassis with carbon reinforced spline offers one of the most flexible chassis's I've seen to date!
  • Aluminum: hangers, caster blocks, rear hubs, gear box support
  • Carbon: towers, center brace, battery strap, ackermann, steering support
  • Easy access diffs for super quick tuning changes between rounds
  • Slide lock aluminum motor mount with Center slipper which is perfect for stock racing on medium to high traction surfaces
  • Aluminum shafts and shock standoffs are available as upgrade options for stock racing
  • Floating servo to increase chassis flex
  • Wire management channels under center braces for super clean wiring jobs
  • Aftermarket support from RideLow Racing (center gear cover) and Ardntcraft fan shroud

Misses:

• Only 5 labeled bags A - E, will need to spend some extra time organizing parts during build
  • E clips used in gear diffs, probably worth it because they don't leak
  • Currently only 2 distributors in the US, but there is promise of a large distributor picking up PR soon!

Summary:
If you want a car that offers tons of corner speed and as low as 14mm ride height out of the box then look no further than the 401R. I am still in the middle of the tuning window for most options and the car just wants to throw itself into tight corners. I'm able to make inside passes with confidence... not sure how they managed to make the car feel both smooth and aggressive, it's like you get the best of both worlds! On a high traction turf track, it's common to see many folks struggle with traction rolls, but the 401R just demands more throttle than I ever though would be possible in the tightest of corners. The shocks are butter smooth too, with very graceful landings, the car just plants itself on flat areas without down ramps... it just sticks the landing with no bounce giving full/even traction immediately. On occasion I have been tangled up with lap traffic and more often than not, the low profile towers allow the front wheels to get a pinch more bite allowing me to blip the throttle and get the car back on all fours again which makes it far less likely to require marshaling as a huge bonus. I have already picked up a full lap after switching to PR by my second race day, the car keeps getting faster with each run... my only regret is not getting the 401R sooner!

Tips:

Check out more stuff on My Bookmarks page!
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2019, 07:23 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
A BAG

* Wrong size set screws provided for the center CVD's... needed to buy two M4x3 set screws. I was told this issue will be resolved for all new kits distributed.
* Missing rear body mount in Step A5, had to dig around to find parts tree for the mount was placed in the C Bag.

Quick Reply