May 21, 2019, 07:09 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Wrongfully convicted man to receive $1.5 million after 46 years in prison

Quote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/richard...ars-in-prison/

Before becoming America's most unlikely art phenom, Richard Phillips was in prison. In 1971, he was arrested for a murder we now know he didn't commit. To pass the time and temper the injustice, he painted.

"It was something to do, occupy my mind," Phillips said. "I could get off into one of my paintings and just be in there for hours."

That's how it was for 46 years, until he was exonerated last spring. That's more time served than any other exoneree in U.S. history.

After all that, they just let him go, without so much as a bus ticket. Failing him for a second time, until now. One year into his newfound freedom, the state attorney general finally agreed those lost years were worth $1.5 million. Now state legislators just need to approve the money.

His paintings are now selling for thousands of dollars and it's all because after nearly half a century of wrongful imprisonment. But Phillips said there was no time left for self-pity.

"I'm gonna be alright regardless, whether they compensate me or not," he said.

Which brings us to the most impressive pat of this story: Despite mistreatment after mistreatment, Phillips has actually found a bright side in all this.

"It would be remiss of me to actually want to keep all of this stuff rather than share it with the American public," he said.

A poignant reminder of what he lost, and what he found.

Clyde
May 21, 2019, 07:48 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I believe that works out to be a $15.68/hr job working a 40 hour week, 52 weeks a year for 46 years.
May 21, 2019, 08:08 PM
No Country for Snowflake Men
That's odd...the link in the OP contains a video that shows the man who was wrongly convicted, yet the normal insinuations of racism are missing. What gives here?
Last edited by n00b-E; May 21, 2019 at 08:32 PM.
May 21, 2019, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b-E
That's odd...the link in the OP contains a video that shows the man who was wrongly convicted, yet the normal insinuations of racism are missing. What gives here?
The person in this story is not being criticized.
May 21, 2019, 09:04 PM
whiirrrrrr
He should have been given $1,000,000 per year in prison, if it was gross negligence that put him there and not a fair trial that just went against him. *Haven't read the article yet.
May 21, 2019, 09:24 PM
1.5 mil? Jesus, they didn't drop overly hot coffee in his lap, they wrongfully imprisoned him for FORTY SIX YEARS. That's almost 2 life sentences.
May 21, 2019, 09:49 PM
No Country for Snowflake Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda466
The person in this story is not being criticized.
Interesting. So is it that the people in the other stories are beyond reproach, or is it simply that a white man is sharing the story?
May 21, 2019, 09:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b-E
Interesting. So is it that the people in the other stories are beyond reproach, or is it simply that a white man is sharing the story?
White???

I'm more like a Cool 5 or Neutral 2

Clyde
May 21, 2019, 10:26 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness
He should have been given $1,000,000 per year in prison, if it was gross negligence that put him there and not a fair trial that just went against him. *Haven't read the article yet.
That is probably unrealistic, but certainly more than $1,500,000.
May 22, 2019, 07:17 AM
They call me Crash!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemakr40
1.5 mil? Jesus, they didn't drop overly hot coffee in his lap, they wrongfully imprisoned him for FORTY SIX YEARS. That's almost 2 life sentences.
Is that 1.5 million before or after taxes? Look at it this way...1.5 mill in the bank..he should be good for life. I do agree with you though.
May 22, 2019, 07:22 AM
Would anyone here spend the next 10 years in prison if they were paid 50 million to do it?
May 22, 2019, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000
Is that 1.5 million before or after taxes? Look at it this way...1.5 mill in the bank..he should be good for life. I do agree with you though.
Good for life eh?... ...whatevers left of it anyway...sheesh...
May 22, 2019, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee
Would anyone here spend the next 10 years in prison if they were paid 50 million to do it?
I'd do it standing on my head doing inverted pushups for 50 million...
May 22, 2019, 08:26 AM
I think this is the best argument against the death penalty. It's not an isolated incident which was made plainly obvious with the advent of DNA technology.
May 22, 2019, 08:35 AM
You never know who might do what! Anymore
Last edited by Jim409; May 22, 2019 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply