May 22, 2019, 01:08 PM
I've been flying RC since the very early 70's; mostly gliders but in recent years I've been on a power (electric) surge.

No more blowing holes through the sky, I got my hands on a Telemaster 72 to putt around with. Currently assembling a VQ Turbo Porter Swiss version and I think I got the last VQ Twin Otter from VQwarbirds in Texas. I wanted the Swiss version but settled for the Nature Air bird version.

Cheers
May 22, 2019, 01:37 PM
Thread OP
I think most of the people here fly other than drive/sail etc because this forum is mainly r/c airplanes, but has the other sections in secondary because they are r/c as well.

If you went to a mainly r/c car forum you would find all the r/c car people.
May 22, 2019, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
The question was fly, I used to race 1/12 scale oval stock car, contact racing.
I also have several RC bikes and a few boats. Mostly newish, but also an Aerokits Sea Commander, whose 1970s electric motor has died, so am looking to stick a brushless in it as well as a 2.4 radio.
Used to love Aerokits models when I was a LOT younger
I used to have both their MTB and the Solent lifeboat
Now I am (deliberately) far from any navigable water(even RC navigable water) so don't "do" boats any more
May 22, 2019, 03:44 PM
Single-task at best...
I'm a fixed wing kind of bloke.

All electric since I came back this daft hobby in 2000.

Last year I got an interest in old diesel engines.

So sports, scale and vintage as a rule.

Tim
May 22, 2019, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam
Sounds interesting!

I'm not interested in competition stuff, but am in using tech to do things.

I'll have a look at the thread, and see what i think. Mind you, we do have a bit of a problem with getting enough sun....
At the end of the thread, Ukanduit has a short video of his latest 4v flying wing, the thing scoots for it not being a clear sky day.

I donít care about the competition angle of it either-I was going to build one for fun anyway because I wouldnít have anyone to fly with competitively (itís a distance flown over a period of time event), now Iím going to put supercapacitors in it to buffer between turns where the airplane decelerates and has to reaccelerate. Should help with the CG quite a bit.
May 22, 2019, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim hooper
I'm a fixed wing kind of bloke.

All electric since I came back this daft hobby in 2000.

Last year I got an interest in old diesel engines.

So sports, scale and vintage as a rule.

Tim
I like small diesels, not so much vintage, but even the high performance diesels I like will be vintage sooner than later.

My favorites are my Schlosser .25 and .5 but IMO the MP Jet .061D BB R/C is the finest small engine ever made. The Norvel .074 is a close second and makes for a fantastic diesel conversion as well. I have a lot of time on them, but haven’t flown my diesel converted motor yet. Maybe this year....

I only own one vintage motor, a screaming Barbini 1cc. Really strong for the 1950’s.
May 22, 2019, 06:22 PM
I'm a fixed wing flyer and have leaned in recent years toward more lazy fliers. I'm mostly into giant scale in the 20cc - 35cc range.

Converting Saito engines to gas is another recent trend that has fit with the more lazy fliers. My favorite plane last year was a 91" Cub powered by a Saito 125a converted to gas and flown 108 flights.

I also like to plan build and have done four giant scale scratch builds in recent years, the last of which a Fly Baby was finished this week and not yet maidened. The previous three were Big Red an eight foot span sport aerobatic 1930's era looking self design, an eight foot span 1929 Travel Air 6000, and a 90" up scaled Das Box Fly Bipe, a design from the 1970's.
May 22, 2019, 07:13 PM
Took forever to dig them out but here is one of my old GT's and the dragster i made out of a 300BD kit...
This was like 1991 maybe? Also have some pictures of the Draggin Wagon radio flyer made from a 300BD kit but can't find them. .also had a LeMans car i built as well...to dang many pictures to go thru to find them..
That ramp was fun with that GT..i used to launch that thing off of there...lol..drawer rollers on the end of wheelie bars..lol
May 22, 2019, 07:35 PM
Eye of The Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY
I'm a fixed wing flyer and have leaned in recent years toward more lazy fliers. I'm mostly into giant scale in the 20cc - 35cc range.

Converting Saito engines to gas is another recent trend that has fit with the more lazy fliers. My favorite plane last year was a 91" Cub powered by a Saito 125a converted to gas and flown 108 flights.

I also like to plan build and have done four giant scale scratch builds in recent years, the last of which a Fly Baby was finished this week and not yet maidened. The previous three were Big Red an eight foot span sport aerobatic 1930's era looking self design, an eight foot span 1929 Travel Air 6000, and a 90" up scaled Das Box Fly Bipe, a design from the 1970's.
I like that Travel Air. I bet you are the only one that has one at the local hangout.

This ARF stuff is funny to witness sometimes at the bigger events when there are multiple copies down the flight line.
May 22, 2019, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudahBenHur
I like that Travel Air. I bet you are the only one that has one at the local hangout.

This ARF stuff is funny to witness sometimes at the bigger events when there are multiple copies down the flight line.
The story behind the 1929 Travel Air 6000 build.

A full scale collector brought one to a small county fly in. He offered me a flight and even some yoke time and I was inspired to model it. I've seen one other at Big Mike's Hobbies in Dallas hanging in the shop that he and his dad built together as his father flew a Travel Air 6000 as his first airline gig.

The 1929 Travel Air was a six passenger. One sat across from the pilot where there was a yoke, but no rudder pedals. There were then two rows of single seats each side of a narrow isle and finally a seat across from the cabin door.

They did not stay in airline service very long for several reasons.
  • Fixed undercarriage had lot of drag
  • Low passenger count
  • Ford Tri Motor and other designs made them quickly obsolete

They did find a niche however. About 350 were built and found homes in rural areas where they served very well carrying hunting and fishing parties into rural mountainous areas and onto valley lakes. An exception climb rate allowed them to carry good loads into and out of mountain lakes. One example served a smoke jumping unit for thirty four years.

Interestingly, the 1929 Travel Air 6000 was designed and built before flaps were invented. Having flown in one and even had some flight time was heady stuff when thinking of how old the thing was. I say flight time, but the seat I was in had a yoke but no pedals and the owner/pilot was preoccupied with taking pictures of another plane we were flying near. The high aspect wing does not allow the ailerons to turn the plane well without rudder coordination.

That dynamic was even more true of the model. The maiden was quite interesting and a bit hairy. 60% aileron differential and 30% aileron to rudder mix later, the plane is an absolute putty tat to fly.
May 22, 2019, 08:44 PM
Eye of The Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY
The story behind the 1929 Travel Air 6000 build.

A full scale collector brought one to a small county fly in. He offered me a flight and even some yoke time and I was inspired to model it. I've seen one other at Big Mike's Hobbies in Dallas hanging in the shop that he and his dad built together as his father flew a Travel Air 6000 as his first airline gig.

The 1929 Travel Air was a six passenger. One sat across from the pilot where there was a yoke, but no rudder pedals. There were then two rows of single seats each side of a narrow isle and finally a seat across from the cabin door.

They did not stay in airline service very long for several reasons.
  • Fixed undercarriage had lot of drag
  • Low passenger count
  • Ford Tri Motor and other designs made them quickly obsolete

They did find a niche however. About 350 were built and found homes in rural areas where they served very well carrying hunting and fishing parties into rural mountainous areas and onto valley lakes. An exception climb rate allowed them to carry good loads into and out of mountain lakes. One example served a smoke jumping unit for thirty four years.

Interestingly, the 1929 Travel Air 6000 was designed and built before flaps were invented. Having flown in one and even had some flight time was heady stuff when thinking of how old the thing was. I say flight time, but the seat I was in had a yoke but no pedals and the owner/pilot was preoccupied with taking pictures of another plane we were flying near. The high aspect wing does not allow the ailerons to turn the plane well without rudder coordination.

That dynamic was even more true of the model. The maiden was quite interesting and a bit hairy. 60% aileron differential and 30% aileron to rudder mix later, the plane is an absolute putty tat to fly.
Thanks for the history of it. I like!!!
May 22, 2019, 08:56 PM
In a widow with Grumpy cat.
I did cars, cars got boring. I doubled to voltage on my car, it was fast but it got boring.

I learned to fly planes, had fun

Bought a helicopter. Spent more time working on it than flying it so I sold it.

Got out of the military and took a long break from R/C.

Decided to get a car that could do ramps and jump, got board. Got a motor cycle, the novelty woe off and it was as boring as a car.

Bought new plane stuff. Flown R/C since

I found after you learn to fly cars just don't cut it.
Latest blog entry: Later peeps
May 22, 2019, 09:25 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks
I did cars, cars got boring. I doubled to voltage on my car, it was fast but it got boring.

I learned to fly planes, had fun

Bought a helicopter. Spent more time working on it than flying it so I sold it.

Got out of the military and took a long break from R/C.

Decided to get a car that could do ramps and jump, got board. Got a motor cycle, the novelty woe off and it was as boring as a car.

Bought new plane stuff. Flown R/C since

I found after you learn to fly cars just don't cut it.
The thing about cars is you need to go with a friend and do some Racing. Otherwise agree it would get boring.
May 22, 2019, 09:28 PM
Oh man..i just found a pic of my baby fellas..i keep digging through this stuff, it going to send me into a midlife crisis...
May 22, 2019, 09:32 PM
I was awarded a trophy for the most tickets on one court docket the judge had ever seen...crap i loved that car...damn...

Quick Reply