May 22, 2019, 07:20 AM
F-117, F-22 , F-18 c , F-18 Super Hornet , P- 51 , Blade 450-x , Blade mcpx Bl , ...VS1 , Thundercat , Top Speed 2 , Miss Geico 29 , Mirage Jaguar, STV Pro Comp........this Harley needs some tunnels....
May 22, 2019, 07:51 AM
.40, .60, and 1/4 scale Nitro burners.
May 22, 2019, 08:07 AM
My next project is another solar powered plane. There have beeen some advancements that make a battery free plane totally practical now
May 22, 2019, 08:15 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Interesting that most of us fly Vs boat or drive cars.

I see a few glow fliers. I used to fly glow exclusively but the cost of a gallon and the slime to clean up finally got to me when i discovered gasoline and lipos a decade or so ago
May 22, 2019, 08:22 AM
Official Old Git!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
My next project is another solar powered plane. There have beeen some advancements that make a battery free plane totally practical now
OK, that's cool!

I think you need to keep us updated with the progress of the project!
May 22, 2019, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk

I see a few glow fliers. I used to fly glow exclusively but the cost of a gallon and the slime to clean up finally got to me when i discovered gasoline and lipos a decade or so ago
I used to do the cars as well...T-Maxx 3.3 , Jato 3.3 and boxes of old RC10 GT stuff and 300Bd kits I used to make a 1/8 scale Nitro dragster and a little radio flyer draggin wagon way back in the day..and other cars as well...my passion lies with the boats tho...planes got boring for me as did heli..plus its ALWAYS wind here...I would sell all my planes if they were shipable and probably fixing to unload this heli stuff as well..they just take up space most the time...
May 22, 2019, 08:35 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yort69
I used to do the cars as well...T-Maxx 3.3 , Jato 3.3 and boxes of old RC10 GT stuff and 300Bd kits I used to make a 1/8 scale Nitro dragster and a little radio flyer draggin wagon way back in the day..and other cars as well...my passion lies with the boats tho...planes got boring for me as did heli..plus its ALWAYS wind here...I would sell all my planes if they were shipable and probably fixing to unload this heli stuff as well..they just take up space most the time...
I have one RC truck , a Ruckus, that I must admit, is ridiculously fun. Have swapped the motor out with an out runner and it’s stupid fast now. Only problem is I keep shredding the main plastic gears. Replaced it with a metal gear set and it seems fine now. Otherwise it was dead reliable. It’s nice not having to deal with a crash when something goes wrong.
May 22, 2019, 09:04 AM
I've been workin on this in my shed for a bit,
not had time to get it in the air yet,
but it's got plenty of take off speed,,
also I need to work out a good transition for the launch ramp first,,
it's a bit of a ride and has given me a handle of what an rc boat feels like,,
it's a bit dicey,, lol,, but very more-ish,,
hope all is good
Mark
DIY JETBOARD 43.5 KPH GPS (HD) (3 min 4 sec)
May 22, 2019, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam
OK, that's cool!

I think you need to keep us updated with the progress of the project!
There is a thread in the high performance forum about the new F5E event that is for these batteryless solar planes. There are a few Germans doing it already that spent a lot of effort getting things just so, then the FAI crowd rewrote their event and is requiring batteries now, so that people can compete on cloudy days. The deal is you have to finish your flight with a lower pack voltage than you started with or some such BS.

I don't know if they chased the Germans off, but they definitely did me and the guy who makes the MPPT controller I'm using (ukanduit). Basically you use the controller to govern the throttle using an ATT Tiny85 micro arduino chip. The cells are flexible and have the solder tracings only on one side so if you crack one it will still be full power (becomes a series cell) and will produce some power until all three solder pad paths are compromised. The cells are .55V at 6A and 125mm square. Cost about $4 a pop, and you can run as low as 8 cells to mimic a 1S lipo setup. The servos should be lower startup current type, the chinese 3.4g cheapies work well as does the YellowRX 6 channel. You can hold the airplanes 1 foot off the ground using half cells and it still runs the radio....

I have all the cells and equipment, foam cores for my wing etc. don't have the fuselage figured out yet (balancing will be an issue without a battery so I need to figure out where things will go) and I have to run some tests to see what covering has lowest loss from reflection.

It will basically look like a DLG but with a thinner airfoil and a little outrunner. 8 cells on Ukanduit's airplane turn a chinese 3 blade quadcopter prop at 9k, so he zips right along.
May 22, 2019, 10:53 AM
Official Old Git!
Sounds interesting!

I'm not interested in competition stuff, but am in using tech to do things.

I'll have a look at the thread, and see what i think. Mind you, we do have a bit of a problem with getting enough sun....
May 22, 2019, 10:56 AM
Thread OP
I have a DLG, armsoar vibe 2.

It's fun and a bit different.
May 22, 2019, 11:58 AM
Old Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Fast
I'd like to say I'm flying an Autel Evo video drone, but it does all the flying. All I do is give suggestions where to go and summon it home again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WmvFfXdcNM
I also fly the Evo.
May 22, 2019, 12:26 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Most fun I am having right now is with the UMX F27, always bring it to the field so I can chase around the racing quads.
About 20 others, all electric, gave away all my nitro stuff years ago.
May 22, 2019, 12:50 PM
Anything I can buy or borrow*. (all electric as that is all that the club lease allows)
Most of what I buy to fly (or drive) tends to be classed as "toy grade" but I own an Orbit wing and a bixler as well. I half own a Huawei drone too

*For some strange reason people often lend me their planes to fly. Must have flown 40 over the last year
May 22, 2019, 01:01 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk

The question was fly, I used to race 1/12 scale oval stock car, contact racing.
I also have several RC bikes and a few boats. Mostly newish, but also an Aerokits Sea Commander, whose 1970s electric motor has died, so am looking to stick a brushless in it as well as a 2.4 radio.

Quick Reply