May 21, 2019, 11:28 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Advice with charging a transmitter lipo battery pack

Hello,
Still new to battery world. I got a new Lumenier 2500mAh 3s Radio Transmitter Lipo Battery. Getting ready to charge it but questions have come up. The battery has a 1c charge rate. What I like to know is it alright to just use the balance plug into the balance board to charge? Or do I need to connect the main power plug into the charger too?

My other question is what do you do to maintain the battery when not using like week to week? Do you do a storage charge?

Thank you.
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2019, 12:44 PM
Some chargers will charge through balance wires, but most don't.

Use both but adjust the amps rate to where you want.

Yes bring down to storage voltage
May 21, 2019, 12:48 PM
If your charger has a main plug you want to use it. If that battery is LiFe, make sure you put the charger in LiFe charge mode. I know you said Lipo but many transmitter batteries are LiFe.
May 21, 2019, 08:02 PM
That Luminier battery is a LIPO but it is low C, just charge and use it.

It is generally the rule of thumb that unlike their high C breatheren, low C lipos are not susceptible to damage from being stored fully charged.

I have never storage charged any low c transmitter batteries in my radios, no real point using them over Nimh if you are going to all that trouble.
May 21, 2019, 08:36 PM
The reason storing full is ok with low C context, is you get so many more cycles lifetime anyway.

Not that most care, but you would get Even More by storage charging, storing cooler, shallower cycling, low C charging etc, all the same care factors.

Same with LFP.
May 21, 2019, 08:52 PM
OP, my old cellpro 10S did balance plug charging but I am unsure of any charger that has continued this trend.

This was one reason I held onto the charger but it finally died on me.

One reason I purely fly my Nirvana these days is the fact it uses 18650 batteries, but in my opinion NiMh are a better option for radios that do not support 18650.

***remember this is a forum and it is my opinion, use what you like***
May 24, 2019, 10:00 PM
Entropy is happening!

LiFe

Of all three main battery chemistries, LiFe offers the most advantages for use in a transmitter.
Much more tolerant of being left fully charged, or allowed to run down low (but not flat!).
Far less maintenance that NiMh.
And less maintenance and attention required than LiPo.

The greatest advantage?
Safety,
Safety,
safety!
May 25, 2019, 04:28 PM
Nimh require maintenance?

In my opinion LIFE are the worst battery for a radio with little to no advantage over other technologies.
May 25, 2019, 04:30 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbedfellow
Nimh require maintenance?.............
Yes, they need cycling periodically.
And they need more frequent charging due to a higher self discharge rate.
And.........they are seriously inferior when used to power high current demand digital servos.

Vollrathd has several excellent threads discussing these factors in detail including oscilloscope read out, voltage sag curves and more.
This is just one that focuses on A123 cells, which are the best LiFe cells available:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Battery-Packs

Take a look at the discharge test comparison of A123 LiFe batteries and NiMh batteries in this post:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7&postcount=63

Quote:
In my opinion LIFE are the worst battery for a radio with little to no advantage over other technologies.
Please state your reasoning for your "opinion".
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; May 25, 2019 at 05:02 PM.
May 25, 2019, 06:49 PM
The only disadvantages of LFP are lower energy density and initial investment cost.

Actually turn out to be the cheapest per mAh per year because of their extreme longevity.

Even compared to Deka lead lasting 8 years at $1 per 1000mAh
May 25, 2019, 07:43 PM
Did you guys even read the OP's initial question, lol, I love this place, it is so entertaining!

p.s. no point me stating my opinion, you A123 guys are relentless!
May 25, 2019, 07:59 PM
Thread OP
Yes guys read what I asked. And I did not ask about LiFe batteries.
May 25, 2019, 08:18 PM
Did you sort it out Chucky, you should get the most life out of the battery storage charging, but the evidence of this is purely anecdotal and not worth the convenience of charge and use. And did you find a charger, it's been so long since I used a lipo in a transmitter I cannot really remember what I did.

I don't know if balance port chargers still exist did you find one?
May 25, 2019, 10:04 PM
Jim started it
May 25, 2019, 11:54 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbedfellow
Did you guys even read the OP's initial question, lol, I love this place, it is so entertaining!

p.s. no point me stating my opinion, you A123 guys are relentless!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky732
Yes guys read what I asked. And I did not ask about LiFe batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John61CT
Jim started it
Yes I did John; guilty as charged.

And Chuck(y), yes, thanks to all of you for pulling me back on track.
I need a bit of disciplining now and then!........................

But seriously, I would never charge a LiPo battery for tx. use in the device or out of it.
There.............
Does that address your opening post?

All the best,

Jim.

Quick Reply