Jul 22, 2019, 10:25 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1
Solo- yep I will check profiles and see what is there and see what BF version is on it.

I too thought it was strange and a let down after so many good reviews.

Next time out I will diagnose deeper.

Maybe they already did some changes again, I remember being quite disappointed when I first got the R349. It flew badly, but that was because Diatone switched to 3028 props, but didn't update the tuning. The only real hardware differences between regular R349 and the ER349 are the frame shape, ESC, and LEDs in the canopy. The FC is the 405 Mk2, but that is also being installed on recent batches of the regular R349, so not really a difference.

Here's my first flight with it:

First flight with the Eachine/Diatone ER349, stock PIDs, 3S 750mAh LiPo (3 min 39 sec)
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2019, 06:23 PM
My er349 came with 3.5.1.
My stock pids were higher than the ones shown in your review post though. I should have taken a photo of them, but just changed them to something similar to Andyrc's gtr349 pids
Jul 23, 2019, 11:38 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.shadey
My er349 came with 3.5.1.
My stock pids were higher than the ones shown in your review post though. I should have taken a photo of them, but just changed them to something similar to Andyrc's gtr349 pids

That's interesting. If these ship with different PID settings, I can understand why some say it flies like crap with stock PIDs, and some say it flies pretty good out of the box. I think the PIDs mine came with could be optimized, the tune isn't perfect, but you do have to stress the quad to see any small vices that might be related to the tune not being 100% there, but more like 90 or 95% ok.

You didn't make a cli dump before changing your settings? I have learned myself to always do that first, before making any changes, even when the stock settings contain some odd things, like on mine the accelerometer being disabled.
Jul 25, 2019, 08:35 AM
My accelerometer was also turned off.
Didn't really think to save a dump. The general consensus seemed to be that the stock setting were potentially iffy. I just used the tune from Andy RC for the gtr.
He has just done a full tume for the er349 and has shared his cli file. It seems he has just turned the p gains up a bit from his original gtr settings, to make it a bit more crispy.
Here is a link to his er349 review. The cli file is in the video decription.
EACHINE & DIATONE?? ER349 (18 min 49 sec)
Jul 25, 2019, 09:30 AM
I've mounted my stock vtx antenna. Out of the rear, on a tpu print I've been working on, for the foxeer lollipop. I've cut off most of it and just left what's necessary.
If it improves the reception from the stock position I'll knock up a design and post it here. Might not need the lollipop after all. Don't want to add the extra weight.
Jul 25, 2019, 09:38 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Yep I plan to add a Lolli myself....
Jul 25, 2019, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.shadey
My accelerometer was also turned off.
Didn't really think to save a dump. The general consensus seemed to be that the stock setting were potentially iffy. I just used the tune from Andy RC for the gtr.
He has just done a full tume for the er349 and has shared his cli file. It seems he has just turned the p gains up a bit from his original gtr settings, to make it a bit more crispy.
Here is a link to his er349 review. The cli file is in the video decription.

I have also noticed this review, and will try his tune as well. I have it set to the second PID profile now. But there seem to be some different stock settings, which might explain why some deemed it just about unflyable with stock PID settings, while mine flies pretty nice with stock settings. I asked on another video what BF the review sample came with, as it could very well be some early samples were shipped with BF 4.0.x and default PIDs, which will likely not work. Didn't get a reply yet though. Mine was purchased, so must have been produced later, and this could affect settings. Like with the R349, there have been quite a few different sub-versions, first RunCam VTX mounted on the back of the camera, then on top of the stack, replacing plastic nuts on canopy front with metal threaded inserts, some o-rings on the rear standoffs to raise the canopy a bit, updated Mk2 flight controller and possibly updated ESC, switching from 3052 to 3028, then including both props with the quad. So when these things may vary, settings could vary as well.
Jul 25, 2019, 11:47 AM
the 369 was sent out unflyable now my tune is the one its shipped with. So hope that answers the question of different setups @SoloProFan just wished they dished out a little remuneration for the work seen as "the best pid tuners in the world" dont seem to like tuning 3 inch
Jul 25, 2019, 12:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-RC
the 369 was sent out unflyable now my tune is the one its shipped with. So hope that answers the question of different setups @SoloProFan just wished they dished out a little remuneration for the work seen as "the best pid tuners in the world" dont seem to like tuning 3 inch

Good thing that Diatone does at least partially seem to realize the value of your efforts. You mean remuneration from the companies? That would be nice, though others might say that getting the latest quads for free, assuming that applies to most of the stuff you are testing, can also be considered a reward in it's own. Though these are distributed also to people regardless of any tuning efforts, and in some cases you end up being a beta tester for a less than finished product which in some cases might be so bad, that you should get paid to take the risk of flying it.
Jul 25, 2019, 05:52 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Nice Job Andy. Great review....I could tell you were feeling a bit FED UP in your video.

No matter what, your Youtube peeps appreciate your videos. Keep on doing a great job.

Start charging a standard fee for your tunes to these companies... "Best Tuner In the World" type talent demands a nice fat paycheck.

Kudos bro.
Jul 26, 2019, 12:38 AM
Thread OP
I tried Andy's tune yesterday for a short flight, because it is so hot here at the moment. The quad feels more direct, more responsive, which is nice. There is a bit more propwash effect during hard turns, so it takes more effort to work around that and avoid a short shudder.

A short blackbox analysis (I'm definitely no expert on this, just learned a few basic things about it) confirms the feeling during the flight. The rise time (time for the quad to move after stick input) is a little bit lower with Andy's ER349 PIDs, and the lower the better the "connection" between pilot and quad. There is also a bit more overshoot, mostly on roll. I might consider raising D a little, perhaps combined with slightly less P, to get closer to the ideal response of low rise time, and then a mostly straight line showing the controls remain on the set value, until stick is moved again.

Mind you, apart from each individual quad being unique at some point, that this data may not be valid for other ER349, and could show different logs with the same settings. Also flying circumstances can affect log data. It's almost impossible to give a tune that works perfect for every quad, but it's more like having a good starting point. The stock tune that mine came with, is a decent starting point, but I think most would prefer Andy's tune, because it makes the quad more responsive.

Meanwhile, I think I will experiment a little with the tune, to find my personal sweetspot. If there is anything to report, I'll post it here.
Jul 26, 2019, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-RC
Now that 3inch quads are becoming as good or better to fly than 5inch, surely you can create some income by selling them off once you have completed your review and any comparisons to newer models. It would be good if you could receive something more from the companies that profit from your efforts. However, surely that would devalue your reviews somewhat, if you were being paid to make them fly well. It would also create a lot of pressure on yourself, to deliver results regardless of the quality of the model sent.
You have also gained a lot of respect from suppliers and the community due to the tuning you've done, which I'm sure will stand you in good stead for the future of your channel. The majority of reviewer seem to just test them with the stock tune. Others have moved on to betaflight 4.x.x which just doesn't work well in general.
You are at the forefront in the 3inch revolution.
You've already been dubbed the king of pids by uav futures.
Jul 26, 2019, 11:57 AM
Thread OP
Here's a short flight using Andy's PIDs:

Eachine/Diatone ER349 - Flying with AndyRC's PIDs (1 min 58 sec)

And the remainder of the battery on stock PIDs:

Eachine/Diatone ER349 on stock PIDs (2 min 10 sec)

And a flight I made today, using some PID settings that are more or less in between stock settings and Andy's tune:

Eachine/Diatone ER349 - trying some custom PIDs (3 min 14 sec)
Jul 27, 2019, 04:38 AM
Thread OP
This morning's flight, with same custom PIDs as yesterday, and some summer breeze, before temps would climb up to 30C again...

Flying the Eachine/Diatone ER349 on a windy summer morning (custom PIDs) (3 min 50 sec)
Jul 27, 2019, 07:27 AM
What are the lipo recommendations for tge er349
850 or smaller ?

Quick Reply