May 20, 2019, 10:14 AM
Thermals, Tom
Thread OP
Video

Yes, balsa is a hardwood

The Difference Between Hardwoods and Softwoods (I Swear, More Interesting Than It Sounds) (4 min 47 sec)
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2019, 08:52 AM
.....tough it is quite light.....!
May 22, 2019, 09:49 AM
Another source of balsa, although not always the lightest grade: Old cigar boxes....!

May 22, 2019, 11:04 AM
My grandfather's cigars used to come in some kind of mahogany veneer. I think they were Philly brand. Not sure.

Andy
May 22, 2019, 01:18 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand
Another source of balsa, although not always the lightest grade: Old cigar boxes....!

I think that's where Guillows sourced their balsa back in the "good ol' die crunched" days....
May 22, 2019, 01:23 PM
Summit Model Aeronautics
I'll bet it smelled good...
May 22, 2019, 02:54 PM
Cigars come from various countries: Germany, Holland Jamaica but the real thing: Havanna Cuba. Here I s box by H. Upmann with a sheet of wood (balsa?) inside to protect the cigars (I can't remember if I smoked them but I still have some Romeo & Julieta's...
Yes, the wood smells good.. but it's heavy.
May 22, 2019, 04:20 PM
Summit Model Aeronautics
You know, if I were a balsa tree, I think it would be a toss-up as to whether I'd want to contribute to a model airplane or a box of Havanas...

Steve
May 24, 2019, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand

...And Panama hats!
May 25, 2019, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=nickharp;41919259]. Here I s box by H. Upmann with a sheet of wood (balsa?) inside to protect the cigars ...[QUOTE]

The wood separation sheets that are in cigar boxes, which I've discovered to be Mahogany and obtained, in my case, for free at the downtown cigar store, are used on some of my static plastic model projects as truck bed liners and for automobile/truck dash enhancement. I also use it as a cockpit liner material on my RC models, for example, on my scratch/plan built Astro-Hog. The liners are quite thin and pliable.

Joe
Last edited by piperjoe; May 25, 2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Added photo
May 25, 2019, 09:01 PM
Hardwood....Well yes it is........Sometimes.
This morning I searched for a sheet of 1/4 X 4 X 36 to built a couple of POLY B chuckies, and I gave up after going through about twenty sheets, because I could have replaced the palings on our fence with them.
I walked of course. Hopeless situation.

Quick Reply