May 22, 2019, 03:38 PM
Heligamist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog
See that's why you need this! It's a 550 to 575.
Nah .. I have the Goblin 500, Hirobo Shuttle 550, and Trex 500E as well as a Trex 500EFL Pro Super Combo kit sitting. I also have a D380 super combo kit not built along with other stuff. I don't mind repairing I just hate building. I'm sure people with few helis and budget just hate those of us with kits gathering dust.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2019, 04:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
Yeah, you are probably right, for a heli of it's quality then it's maybe priced 'about right'. As i said, i hope they sell plenty because Oxy are doing good things for the hobby.

I guess my expectations on price have been somewhat skewed recently by the Soxos Strike 7 pre-order price and the new KDS .......
Those two helis are/were incredible deals. Usually oxy comes down after a while. We'll see.
Wish I needed a 550/570!
May 22, 2019, 04:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad
Nah .. I have the Goblin 500, Hirobo Shuttle 550, and Trex 500E as well as a Trex 500EFL Pro Super Combo kit sitting. I also have a D380 super combo kit not built along with other stuff. I don't mind repairing I just hate building. I'm sure people with few helis and budget just hate those of us with kits gathering dust.
Yeah, hard to buy more when you got ones sitting in boxes still. I got off my butt and finally built my tdf. Only took year and a half! Also built my veloxity 3d plane and my glue n go edge 3d plane and starting on my multiplex easystar 2. That's only been in a box for 4 or 5 years!

Glad I sold some 8 helis, many parts and 3 rc cars this past early spring. I was overwhelmed.
Last edited by Thickfog; May 22, 2019 at 04:18 PM.
May 22, 2019, 05:52 PM
Quote:
another kit wont hurt will it?

if you examine the pic of the three guys holding one of this model each with orange see through canopies, am I mistaken or is the guy one the left sporting one with 570 mm blades on it? A goblin 500 borders on the 600 size in presence and size compared to an Align 600, same thing I ran into with my old 1991 Hirobo Shuttle zx,(mine no longer resembling the original in many aspects) a model with lots of stretch potential .

I feel there really isn't need for more than a 300, 500. 700, and possibly a 900 heli in a persons rc heli hangar, case of less is more and more is less (flown perhaps).
May 22, 2019, 08:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanflyheli
another kit wont hurt will it?

if you examine the pic of the three guys holding one of this model each with orange see through canopies, am I mistaken or is the guy one the left sporting one with 570 mm blades on it? A goblin 500 borders on the 600 size in presence and size compared to an Align 600, same thing I ran into with my old 1991 Hirobo Shuttle zx,(mine no longer resembling the original in many aspects) a model with lots of stretch potential .

I feel there really isn't need for more than a 300, 500. 700, and possibly a 900 heli in a persons rc heli hangar, case of less is more and more is less (flown perhaps).
I don't care for 500 size helis one bit. A 570 like the oxy 5 that can run 6 to 12s is cool with me. 500 helis are battery hogs. I don't do 5 mins and land flights. And that's at low headspeed. I sold all 5 of my 500 helis.

I've only kept a 190/210, a 380, a 625, and 690 and two 700 helis. I'm covered. I have two more logo 600 helis and they are on a shelf with no electronics. I mean really if I fly a 600 might as well be the 700. It's just that I got the 600 helis first and never sold them.
I'd never buy another heli between 500 and 650.
But some love them. I never felt my goblin 500 had that much presence in the air. My now sold old logo 550 did! It might have been the canopy shape and orange color!
Who knows.

Oh my now sold logo 480 seemed to be easier to see than my 3 goblin 500s in any color.

Helis... They are weird and we all have different experiences and likes /dislikes.

Think of this: If you could only be allowed to have one heli, what size and what one?

Me? Oxy 4 max. 380 is a cool size that you can fly anywhere. Cheap, small batts, fun and a decent size where it starts to feel like one of the bigger helis.

You guys?
May 22, 2019, 09:25 PM
you know, you're right about the 500 thing, how about 550, anything that fits a blade with the typical blade chord of a 600. I neglected to remember the goblin 500 blades were the thinner chord variety like 40/42mm where-as the 550 chords are closer to 55mm wide. I tossed a pair of shortened 700 blades (550) o0n my Shuttle a few years back for the heck of it and got fair results, chords were 65mm wide. For lack of a more powerful nitro motor the heli flew very well otherwise, awesome sound. A 500 would be less attractive now that my 420 now sports my customized 440mm blades and my 380 is looking more like a smaller 450 due to a smaller canopy I found and put on, motor sticks out the top and looks quite interesting by comparison.

Certainly not something to emphasize, my Align 450's and 300 don't even get my interest anymore and a 700 I'm completing to use this summer is not far from completion, I hear when you fly the larger helis you really loose interest in the tiny ones. I get the size thing.

What is curious is what oxy will do in a 700.

So at what point do you gain interest in a heli? how complicated it is or how simple and easy it is to assemble and put in the air?

btw, do you feel the tail servo on boom is a Align 450 kind of thing, more a carry over from oxy's smaller models? A thing I would move to under the tail boom chassis block.

My long and short is this oxy5 as an alternative to my nitro shuttle (which needs an os42 to really get going). An electric in the 550 size is on my mind lately and I'd consider the oxy over a goblin a little..
Last edited by icanflyheli; May 22, 2019 at 09:37 PM.
May 22, 2019, 10:50 PM
Thread OP
My logo 550 on 6s was nice. Better than a 500, but still hard on batteries with short flights.

I like tailboom mounted servos myself.

Either the logo 550 se (can run up to 600 blades) the goblin 570 or oxy 5 max are all great helis.
Overall the logo 550se is pretty amazing and so flexible. I've run 500mm blades no problem up to 600mm blades. Set it up 6s to 12s too. Very flexible heli. Light, few parts, large canopy.

I buy according to ease of assembly, repair, parts count, parts availability, looks. Not in that order necessarily.

Yes for me I lost a lot of interest in small helis after flying a 700. Not everyone does, but it's a different world. There's cost, space, danger, batteries, etc.

Man this oxy 5 sure looks nicer and nicer every day.
Last edited by Thickfog; May 22, 2019 at 11:01 PM.
May 23, 2019, 12:13 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Tail boom mount is good on a belted heli because it means you dont loose tail pushrod adjustment when you tension the belt. Aesthetically some might prefer to 'hide the servo away' and I get that, but from a practical viewpoint boom mount wins.

It's certainly not a copy of Align. Helis had boom mounted servos long before Align even dreamed of making an RC heli, and in any case, align dont boom mount servo on their helis and havent done for many years.
May 23, 2019, 07:46 AM
lipo selection, what was the recommended mah and cell 6 or 12? how about 10s or 8s?

And then the matter of mah. It makes me think of a time when I experimented with my align 450 and tossed on a 13mah from the 300 just to see what would happen. The heli was more spritely in the air due to it's lightness and the 1300mah lipo almost matched the 2200mah standard lipo in flight duration around 6 minutes at 85% throttle tx setting (more in hover mode than full out speed pass type flying where the 2200mah got 8min). Balance wasn't all that much of a problem with the smaller lipo all the way forward (memories of yesteryear, lol).

It's understood the boom mount servo thing was not specifically a "Align" thing", just for reference. The non slider tail side plates of the 5 were overlooked, that would have nixed the servo boom mounts though.

details details this was the first I saw of it in flight
OXY 5 Testflight | Pre-release model (2 min 34 sec)

who knew rc helis could get that nimble.
Last edited by icanflyheli; May 23, 2019 at 07:52 AM.
May 23, 2019, 10:39 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
First reports over on HF are saying that the Oxy 5 is coming in at 2.55Kg in 550 format with typical hardware (RTF less batteries).

That's not as light as i was expecting. It's about the same as the Goblin 570 which most people would consider to be a bit on the heavy side. Seems strange because just looking at the two helis I'd have sworn that the Oxy looked a more minimalist and lighter design. The XLPower 550 is a good 500g lighter.

Maybe more data points are needed to be conclusive.
May 24, 2019, 07:15 AM
hmm, same weight as a Goblin 570 at +5 lbs, it's easier and less expensive to stretch an alz505 but some people don't care about anything except flying. They would fly a tank if it flew, all very interesting though ateotd these are some cool high tech toys.
Last edited by icanflyheli; May 24, 2019 at 11:52 AM. Reason: "less" is more
May 24, 2019, 09:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
First reports over on HF are saying that the Oxy 5 is coming in at 2.55Kg in 550 format with typical hardware (RTF less batteries).

That's not as light as i was expecting. It's about the same as the Goblin 570 which most people would consider to be a bit on the heavy side. Seems strange because just looking at the two helis I'd have sworn that the Oxy looked a more minimalist and lighter design. The XLPower 550 is a good 500g lighter.

Maybe more data points are needed to be conclusive.
That is blowing my mind. Not what I expected.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
May 24, 2019, 10:34 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog
That is blowing my mind. Not what I expected.
Me too, it's hard too see where the weight is coming from. But even at the reported weight it's not a overly heavy heli, pretty much average for the size class, just not the lightweight that the looks had me expecting.
May 24, 2019, 11:51 AM
Perhaps the weight goes with maintaining the quality on a larger scale - an exponential thing, maybe?
May 24, 2019, 11:59 AM
This is your brain on heli's

interested

Looking at the manual to figure out what motor to run as a 550.

I like the canopy color. Remind me of my old 550E which was easy to see. Newer Align 550 canopies were too thin and mostly white....hard to see.

Quick Reply