May 20, 2019, 09:37 AM
Thread OP
Help!

How to create a mylar valve

Hi,

Is there anyone who can help me to create a valve for my mylar 'Fish blimp'
I use a plastic clamp to close the balloon, but there should be an other way...

Hope some one can help me out.

Pep.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2019, 04:24 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Pep,

I make a thin strip out of baking paper (also called 'grease paper' / 'non-stick' paper) and seal some 'mylar' around it to make a long floppy straw (say 10cm / 4"). Depending on how your blimp works you may be able to do this as part of sealing your gores together. If you can get it so that the straw is internal to the blimp it should 'self seal' after inflation, because when the long floppy straw is inside the blimp the pressure won't open the internal channel, if that makes sense :-).

Alternatively just have the tube outside, reinforce it with some sticky tape and after inflation just double it over and put a paper clip on, or just a little tab of sticky tape?

Gary Felix at balloonkits.com used to sell some rather nice little plastic 'valves' that were essentially the same principle - a long thin straw - but you could heat seal them in more easily - he doesn't seem to be trading any more, and I don't know where to get them which is a shame, they were pretty nifty.
May 23, 2019, 09:30 PM
Or you can cut them off the bottom of any commercial foil balloon. Just weld them into the 'mylar' (actually nylon) of your own envelope
May 26, 2019, 03:18 AM
Thread OP
Hi Pegacat,

Thanks for your answer! I'm working on it right now! Think it will work.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply