May 20, 2019, 09:00 AM
DominicM
Thread OP
Video

Giant P-51 Mustang destroyed on take off

A very expensive electric conversion destroyed within seconds of take off. Even the most experienced pilots make small mistakes which can have disastrous consequences.

CRASH ! Giant scale P-51 Mustang DESTROYED on maiden flight (2 min 39 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2019, 10:36 PM
rrg
rrg
Reason or cause??
May 21, 2019, 06:41 AM
DominicM
Thread OP
Steep climb, lack of power, stall, kablamo
May 21, 2019, 02:03 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang converted to electric power.

So a fairly heavy model to start with as it was designed for the rigours of IC power. Then add a weighty battery pack .......

If you want electric power, buy, (or preferably build), a model designed specifically for electric power only, they're lighter and have a lower stall speed.

May 21, 2019, 10:04 PM
Scott
I'm not so sure. I doesn't look like it ever stalled to me. He pulled it into a tight turn and too much elevator drove it into a spin. It was flying all the way to the ground. Some opposite aileron would have pulled it out.

Scott
May 22, 2019, 04:49 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
From the video's Youtube site comments --

'CRASH ! Giant scale P-51 Mustang DESTROYED on maiden flight
This was a fairly horrific crash of a Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang converted to electric power with very little surviving the impact. The pilot confirmed that the cause was a stall that sadly he did not have enough altitude to recover from. This things happen to the most experienced RC pilots but this was an especially expensive and unique model so sad to see it happen.
'

May 24, 2019, 11:09 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylonracr
I'm not so sure. I doesn't look like it ever stalled to me. He pulled it into a tight turn and too much elevator drove it into a spin. It was flying all the way to the ground. Some opposite aileron would have pulled it out.
Scott
I think Scott is correct!
I would also add, the turn was not balanced to start with. This led to increased pilot work load and increased demand for pilot attention and skill.
The model appeared to be flying plenty fast enough and was not climbing when it dropped a wing.
Pilot error, simple as that, and very common. Shaky over control with the elevator and no rudder compensation is what I am seeing here.
Sorry to see another fine scale model go in.
Builder/pilots of large scale models do tend to be overly nervous on maiden flights.
Ask me how I know?.......................
Jun 28, 2019, 02:11 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Uncoordinated stall into a spin. just before the spin starts you can see the elevator increase dramatically with no rudder input throughout the climb and turn. Classic stall spin. Also at the point he is really pulling up near the ground it starts to spin again.
Jun 29, 2019, 04:13 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Sometimes I wish folks would watch videos of full scale aircraft, and replicate the way they fly.. P-51 Mustangs take thousands of feet in a take-off roll, and climb at 3-5 degrees.. Modelers use all of 55 feet and climb at 18-45 degrees ! The aerodynamics just can't keep up....

That model had plenty of power for scale flight, but the pilot seemed to have no experience with the 'type'.

It doesn't matter if the landing gear was retracted or not, in this case....he bled off too much air speed and lift in the tight turn he was making..
Full scale Piper Cubs can do that, at a weight of 700lbs..... A P-51 can't , at 3,000 lbs on the same wingspan. (around 35 feet).
Jun 30, 2019, 12:08 PM
IMO, Earl offered the magic words "tight turn" with the inference that the inboard wing lacked adequate airspeed and indeed stalled. Possibly contributing to the stall (lack of adequate air flow over the foil) was the degree of bank and sideways descent causing some lateral air flow forces that further disrupted the aft foil air flow.... remember the famous B-52 crash with the hot dogging pilot banking too hard.

Again.. Earl points out the issue... a lightweight air frame doesn't a have the gravity forces that would cause the down hill slide that disrupts the aft airfoil flow of a heavier air frame.
Jun 30, 2019, 12:48 PM
I suspect the silver wings against the cloudy background disappeared, and he turned more than he realized.
A note on a full scale P-51. They had a longer rollout because if you gave it power too fast it would turn off the runway. Many high powered prop planes would also do that.
Jul 01, 2019, 07:02 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
My next question was answered (" Why did he turn so hard ?"), when I saw the traffic on the Highway below him.

Quick Reply