Jun 02, 2019, 12:20 PM
Aircraft Life
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawf56
Another motor I would recommend is the Aerotech E-6RC.

This is a reload motor, that requires a casing ($45). The performance is slightly lower thrust, but for twice as long (so, actually a more powerful motor).

See info at Dynasoar rocketry: https://dynasoarrocketry.com/

Also some launch videos at The Rocketry Forum: https://www.rocketryforum.com/forums...ed-gliders.44/
I just purchased the case and reloads you recommended. Are those reloads the only ones that can be put in this case? Can a more powerful one be put in without the ejection charge?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2019, 02:13 PM
other reloads for the standard 24/40 are slightly longer so won't work. Aerotech does make an e12 blackjack reload with higher average thrust, but same total impulse for this case, in my exoerience these don't boost any higher than an e6, you just get a faster boost harder to control and only useful if the model is too heavy for an e6.

People make the mistake of wanting a fast boost but really you want a nice gentle easy boost it's much easier to control and less drag and stress on the airframe.

Btw I am dynasoar rocketry....

Frank

QUOTE=wunkus;41997677]I just purchased the case and reloads you recommended. Are those reloads the only ones that can be put in this case? Can a more powerful one be put in without the ejection charge?[/QUOTE]
Last edited by burkefj; Jun 02, 2019 at 03:27 PM.
Jun 02, 2019, 06:41 PM
Aircraft Life
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
other reloads for the standard 24/40 are slightly longer so won't work. Aerotech does make an e12 blackjack reload with higher average thrust, but same total impulse for this case, in my exoerience these don't boost any higher than an e6, you just get a faster boost harder to control and only useful if the model is too heavy for an e6.

People make the mistake of wanting a fast boost but really you want a nice gentle easy boost it's much easier to control and less drag and stress on the airframe.

Btw I am dynasoar rocketry....

Frank
Nice to meet you and thanks for the info! I look forward to using the reloads I just ordered from you. Hopefully they work better than the Estes motors and I can quit digging the ejection charge out.

-Will
Jun 16, 2019, 06:07 PM
Aircraft Life
Thread OP

Maiden Launch!

Just sent it on its maiden launch today. It flew great! It is so fast! The first launch was on an Estes E12. Second and third launches were on an Aerotech RMS-RC 24/40-40. Had a frightening moment when the glider slowed down on that launch and seemed to stall non stop all the way to the ground (not shown in the posted videos). Turns out the CG was wrong. While the Aerotech empty casing is about the same weight as an empty Estes E, it is shorter and requires a spacer. This put all the weight further aft and the CG on this glider is touchy (as warned in the build manual). Luckily there was no damage and the issue was easily fixed on the next launch by pushing the casing all the way forward without a spacer and taping it in place. It flew better than the Estes like this! I'm very happy with this newest edition to my rocket glider fleet.

-Will

Estes Astro Blaster First Launch (1 min 41 sec)

Estes Astro Blaster Launch on Aerotech Motor (2 min 35 sec)
Last edited by wunkus; Jun 16, 2019 at 06:47 PM.
Jun 16, 2019, 07:16 PM
Glad you had success!
Jun 17, 2019, 10:23 AM
Yes very nice!

Richard
Jun 21, 2019, 05:57 PM
Nice. I have the plans at home. I would find it difficult to locate a blue, grey and white rocket in the clear blue sky though.

Jim
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
Jun 22, 2019, 01:59 PM
Shut up and fly
wow so cool great job. i have this same kit not built yet if some one offered me $100.00 plus shipping i will part with it
Jul 25, 2019, 05:24 AM
That thing flies really well!
Jul 26, 2019, 05:33 PM
Aircraft Life
Thread OP
Thanks. It glides so well I feel it would make a good slope plane. One of these days I should try a rocket launch next to a cliff lol.
Sep 10, 2019, 11:47 AM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunkus
Covered the wings and installed the control surfaces, along with the pushrods. When attempting to connect the pushrods to aileron horns, I realized there was not enough clearance to allow movement without the horn hitting the top of the fuse. Even after screwing them in all the way (using needle nose pliers with little access) they still scrape the top a tad, luckily without threat of binding up.

It looks like a plane! Just a few things left to finish: stripes on the bottom, engine tube install, and install of electronics. I will have to create a servo tray.
SHARP!!! Reminds of an F-5 Photoshooter!!!!
Sep 10, 2019, 11:53 AM
AeroDan
Quote:
Covered the wings and installed the control surfaces, along with the pushrods. When attempting to connect the pushrods to aileron horns, I realized there was not enough clearance to allow movement without the horn hitting the top of the fuse. Even after screwing them in all the way (using needle nose pliers with little access) they still scrape the top a tad, luckily without threat of binding up.

It looks like a plane! Just a few things left to finish: stripes on the bottom, engine tube install, and install of electronics. I will have to create a servo tray.
SHARP!!! Reminds of a Lockheed F-5 Photoshooter w/D-Day stripes to boot!!!
Sep 10, 2019, 11:54 AM
AeroDan
Quote:
Just sent it on its maiden launch today. It flew great! It is so fast! The first launch was on an Estes E12. Second and third launches were on an Aerotech RMS-RC 24/40-40. Had a frightening moment when the glider slowed down on that launch and seemed to stall non stop all the way to the ground (not shown in the posted videos). Turns out the CG was wrong. While the Aerotech empty casing is about the same weight as an empty Estes E, it is shorter and requires a spacer. This put all the weight further aft and the CG on this glider is touchy (as warned in the build manual). Luckily there was no damage and the issue was easily fixed on the next launch by pushing the casing all the way forward without a spacer and taping it in place. It flew better than the Estes like this! I'm very happy with this newest edition to my rocket glider fleet.

-Will.

https://youtu.be/mLR-d5aTSL8
https://youtu.be/kWi3mwFhqBg
. VERY NICE!!!! I love your launch system, too.
Sep 21, 2019, 09:14 AM
Aircraft Life
Thread OP
Thanks! And thanks for watching my videos.
Sep 23, 2019, 12:23 PM
AeroDan
Oh, you bet, Will!!! Yeah, I’ve been looking for a launch site here in SoCal, where I don’t need to drive forever, join a clique, or get arrested. Someone once told me there’s spots in Moreno Valley, but he wasn’t exactly sure where.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Oct 04, 2019 at 01:34 AM.

Quick Reply