May 20, 2019, 07:05 AM
Aircraft Life
Thread OP
Build Log

A new Estes Astro-Blaster is born

So I've been working on this model for about a week and decided to post my progress. This Astro-Blaster will be rocket powered when finished, in case anyone is wondering. In the past I have built the Sweet Vee and Centurion, but this is my first Astro build. The experience is a little different as there are no large plastic parts. I find the build on the easy side, yet tedious as the all-wood construction requires much sanding.

Last night I cut the hatch and this morning I sanded the parts to where the wing will finally test fit. Not sure of what design it will be covered in, but I'm leaning towards a WW2 Normandy invasion theme.
Last edited by wunkus; May 20, 2019 at 07:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2019, 04:53 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Looking good
Thanks for posting
May 21, 2019, 01:51 PM
Nice, with modern equipment/batteries and long burn motors this should be a nice flyer now, back in the day it was sort of a slug with the bp D11P motors available when I built mine.....Pics circa 1991-92 I think.

Frank
May 21, 2019, 11:24 PM
Good to see a build on this model.
May 22, 2019, 06:23 PM
Aircraft Life
Thread OP
Thanks for the encouragement.
I've decided to veer from the instructions and secure the hatch with magnets. Next step is covering.
May 22, 2019, 11:48 PM
What are you planning to use for motors?
May 23, 2019, 05:33 AM
Aircraft Life
Thread OP
Estes E12-4 that I have plugged myself.
May 23, 2019, 02:22 PM
Another motor I would recommend is the Aerotech E-6RC.

This is a reload motor, that requires a casing ($45). The performance is slightly lower thrust, but for twice as long (so, actually a more powerful motor).

See info at Dynasoar rocketry: https://dynasoarrocketry.com/

Also some launch videos at The Rocketry Forum: https://www.rocketryforum.com/forums...ed-gliders.44/
May 28, 2019, 10:27 AM
Aircraft Life
Thread OP
I'll check out those motors, never used reloads before.

This morning I started covering.
May 28, 2019, 02:33 PM
Aircraft Life
Thread OP
Parts put in place to decide if I should cover the wings or leave them with the wood look. I think covering might look better...
May 30, 2019, 12:34 PM
Aircraft Life
Thread OP
Covered the wings and installed the control surfaces, along with the pushrods. When attempting to connect the pushrods to aileron horns, I realized there was not enough clearance to allow movement without the horn hitting the top of the fuse. Even after screwing them in all the way (using needle nose pliers with little access) they still scrape the top a tad, luckily without threat of binding up.

It looks like a plane! Just a few things left to finish: stripes on the bottom, engine tube install, and install of electronics. I will have to create a servo tray.
Last edited by wunkus; May 30, 2019 at 12:48 PM.
May 30, 2019, 12:43 PM
Looks very nice.
May 30, 2019, 12:49 PM
Aircraft Life
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
Looks very nice.
Thanks!
May 31, 2019, 09:55 AM
Aircraft Life
Thread OP
Engine mount is in and finished.
May 31, 2019, 11:13 AM
Aircraft Life
Thread OP
Servo tray built and installed with servos, control surfaces rigged. The only thing left is to balance it and this model will be ready for a maiden launch.

Quick Reply