May 19, 2019, 09:44 PM
Thread OP
Idea

<<<4600kv Castle Creation motor in a PLANE?>>>

soooo i had a great stupid idea to put a 4pole 4600kv Castle brushless motor in my 58" spitfire buid.

The motor has a 3mm shaft and was wondering if anyone knew some ways to mount a prop on that type of motor shaft weather ts a cone spinner or not shoot me any thing you got!!!

thanks,
Liam
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2019, 11:34 PM
It will work just fine - if you use a 6.7:1 gearbox or a 4" prop.

Just not even remotely a feasible option direct drive
May 20, 2019, 08:26 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Agree - fine choice with a gearbox, crappy choice direct drive.
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
May 20, 2019, 09:08 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Alternatively, please video the smoke and post online.

May 20, 2019, 07:53 PM
Thread OP
hey guys love to here all the "POSITIVE" feed back, i have spent a couple hours on the lathe turning down a piece of round stock and made my own 3mm to 6mm* adapter and almost ready to fly i cant wait to watch my esc catch on fire... but isnt that all the fun....

naw jk I dont wish for my esc to catch on fire but when i get that thing in the air i will definitely post that on youtube so yall can have a laugh at my amazing creation, its more power than most things ive seen out there so i dont have a doubt about if flying but more about just the life of my electronics!

i'll do my best to keep yall posted on the build.
May 20, 2019, 08:40 PM
Thread OP

Images of my build

heres my build in its current stage
May 21, 2019, 08:34 AM
I guess you didn't like the answer you got in other thread so decided to try again?

Same answer, it won't work point blank period,.

There are many successful combinations available to successfully fly your plane,. I even linked some components to help you out.

Why the urge to ruin a motor an esc? Why bother asking if it will work when you intend to do it regardless?
May 21, 2019, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhooks6
I guess you didn't like the answer you got in other thread so decided to try again?

Same answer, it won't work point blank period,.

There are many successful combinations available to successfully fly your plane,. I even linked some components to help you out.

Why the urge to ruin a motor an esc? Why bother asking if it will work when you intend to do it regardless?
Just ran the numbers of that motor through www.motocalc.com. Motocalc predicts 41,000 RPM on a 3S LiPo, pulling 42 Amps on a 4 inch propeller. The blade pitch speed is 150 MPH, thrust is only 28 ounces on what is likely going to be a model with three times that 28 ounce weight. Motocalc predicts only around 50% motor efficiency at that power level. Properly sized motors will run in the mid to high 80% range.

Proper propeller size for an electric motor on this size airplane will run in the 12 inch diameter range. That motor will burn up if a 7 inch prop is hung on the front of the motor.

This motor is designed to run a surface vehicle, NOT an airplane. As everyone has indicated in this thread, it won't work.
Last edited by vollrathd; May 21, 2019 at 04:54 PM.
May 21, 2019, 05:35 PM
Thread OP
yeah i know thats the funny part, its just for fun i dont care what happens to that motor. that motor has lasted pretty long and have no intentions to use it ever again. lol
May 21, 2019, 05:49 PM
Thread OP
heres the 3mm to 6mm adapter i mad on the lathe i still need to dill the grub screw hole.
May 21, 2019, 08:37 PM
If you're not planning on destroying the ESC as well, better use a big one. Expect about 70A on 2S with a 6x4 prop. Or about 120A on 3S
May 21, 2019, 08:55 PM
Thread OP
i could use my big ass castle mamba x ecs up to 6s but when the motor dies im putting a proper aircraft style motor/electronics is the plane
May 21, 2019, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco
If you're not planning on destroying the ESC as well, better use a big one. Expect about 70A on 2S with a 6x4 prop. Or about 120A on 3S

Yea in another thread he was asking about an 11x 8 I believe
May 21, 2019, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_360_NOOB
i could use my big ass castle mamba x ecs up to 6s but when the motor dies im putting a proper aircraft style motor/electronics is the plane
That so called big ass Mamba is not going to like lots of amps. It might be 6S - that doesn't make it big ass - it's current handling that is important in this case - and car applications run way way lower average amps than aircraft. In aircraft terms its actually a fairly small ESC.

Please make sure you video the first run up. It should be entertaining
May 21, 2019, 10:35 PM
Thread OP
i definitely will dont worry but it might be a little while till i can actually have it in the air meaning i need to install my servos and get my transmitter and receiver all hooked up.

I WILL MAKE 100% SURE TO VIDEO THE PLANE IN ACTION... or in ashes

Quick Reply