May 19, 2019, 12:57 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

First tank

After decades of cars, boats, planes, helis... I bought a tank. Have looked at them pretty much since I started RC 40+ years ago. I always wanted to build one of the Tamiya tanks but just never bit the bullet. Last few weeks I had been looking at tanks again and got sticker shock when I looked at the Tamiya tanks I had looked at in the past, seems the price has tripled if not more in the last few years. I started looking at these Heng Long tanks and figured what the heck. I bought the Leopard 2A6 with the all metal tracks and wheels. Also the 360 turret. Seems to be lots of bang for the buck.

One day out of the box and metal tracks with rubber pads is on my short list. Also wish there was a way to turn the lights off and on via the remote. Also on the short list is to paint the wheels and weather the tank. I'd also like to go brushless for the motors. At some point I pull the control box out and see if I can pick off a suitable PWM signal to drive some brushless controllers. Would like to keep the rest of the functionality.

So far pleased with the Heng Long and the price.

I'd post a pic, but it looks like every HL Leopard out of the box. Maybe after some detail work.

Joel
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2019, 09:50 AM
HL have actually went up lots in prices. Original issue HL Tiger 1s used to cost $55.00...nowadays...not so cheap. Quality is much better, but it came at a price.

Tamiya's haven't went up that much. Sherman's cost $475 5 years ago. Now, they're $500.

Heck, even Taigen Shermans cost more than Tamiya Shermans these days.

It's an expensive hobby, but so is golf.

Quick Reply