May 19, 2019, 08:56 AM
Honorable Deplorable
Thread OP
Discussion

Simple release, non permanent

Planning on traveling this next weekend and flying with my father. He is more of a power guy, for now slowly moving him to gliders, and he is wanting to try towing. So I was curious as to what you guys would suggest for a temporary type of release. My current gliders are a cheap phoenix 2600, snipe dlg, and a zenith 3.7m. I am planning on using the phoenix to start with due to the lowest cost.

So being as that plane is a motor glider, is there a way to have a temporary release or something? Suppose I could find a spare servo and mount it somewhere, but figured I would ask the minds here first.

Any thoughts or ideas?
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2019, 12:04 PM
Take the prop off and arrange a small pivoting pin on the spinner. Tape a paper clip so that it overlaps the spinner. Put the tow ring on the pivoting pin, and stick the pin antipropwise into tje paper clip. When you hit the throttle, the pin will be pulled out of the clip,and release,tne tow line. Just an idea. I've also seen Velcro under the nose. Pull up and it peels off. Not sure how reliable.
May 19, 2019, 01:31 PM
DS will change your life
Or something like this:
3 meter rc glider, tow coupling. (0 min 54 sec)

And on the Phoenix 2000
2:28 in video

Phoenix 2000, Aerobatic set up. (2 min 43 sec)

Cheers
Soren
Last edited by SpeedsterDEN; May 19, 2019 at 02:12 PM.
May 19, 2019, 02:41 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Thread OP
Awesome ideas

Will dig through my parts bin and see what I have.
May 19, 2019, 06:00 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
You can also create a piggy back system for the Snipe. Something like this:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-another-plane

Ryan
May 22, 2019, 09:07 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Thread OP
Well went with a permanent mount. Cut a hole in the phoenix noise and mounted a carbon plate for structure.

Thanks Soren for the spm file! Now to figure the switches and get her in the air.
May 23, 2019, 09:03 PM
Ninja Master
Surprised no one said Velcro. A strip along the length from the nose back is surprisingly strong, and a swift pull on the elevator releases it.

*Edit*

I see Lincoln did mention it.
May 24, 2019, 09:10 AM
D1 AVP AMA Foundation Board
I've been looking into this as well as we are looking to get folks at our field more into gliding. I have 4 Telemasters, two set up for towing, one that has a partially completed piggyback cradle. I'm also looking to use the velcro but I don't think the standard stuff will do the trick. I play on using this stuff, I've used it on other stuff and it's pretty strong (maybe too strong?).

https://www.cdw.com/product/3M-Scotc...g!341828584280!
Latest blog entry: F4D Skyray Glider
May 24, 2019, 02:30 PM
Just remember the first rule of aerotowing

- Make sure the tow release works reliably -
May 25, 2019, 10:14 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Thread OP
Well tested today...release worked, but the Timber, sorry wrong plane, tow plane not so much. Was not able to break free from ground contact and the Tundras esc literally burst into flames.

Release will stay in glider for use further down the road. One good thing though is that the down Tundra forced my father to fly his glider. He said its the most he had flown that plane, bandwidth some simple coaching he caught a thermal and road it for quite a while. Slowly sinking the hooks into him on the glider thing
Last edited by woogie_man; May 26, 2019 at 08:44 AM.
May 26, 2019, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogosi
I've been looking into this as well as we are looking to get folks at our field more into gliding. I have 4 Telemasters, two set up for towing, one that has a partially completed piggyback cradle. I'm also looking to use the velcro but I don't think the standard stuff will do the trick. I play on using this stuff, I've used it on other stuff and it's pretty strong (maybe too strong?).

https://www.cdw.com/product/3M-Scotc...g!341828584280!
I wouldn't want to use anything stronger than regular Velcro. Remember, you want it to release when peeled, and be able to take shear loads, primarily. I also wouldn't want to use valuable models with this technique. I watched some pilots do this with Easy Gliders and a tri-motored Lazy Bee.

I'm surprised the Tundra couldn't handle the Phoenix. Are you sure you have the right prop? Larger, finer pitch props are probably better for towing, but it seems to me something like the Phoenix 2.5 shouldn't need THAT much extra thrust.
May 26, 2019, 08:40 AM
Honorable Deplorable
Thread OP
Not really sure what happened. But the ground was anything but smooth and the grass was fairly long. Dad is getting new parts and we will try again. So ok worries.

Guess it is a timber not a tundra...sorry
May 26, 2019, 01:29 PM
DS will change your life
Hobbyking Durafly Tundra Towing a 2,8 M vintage Graupner Cumulus, at the maiden day for the Tundra, and also first flight with the Cumulus for me Not a very power full plane, but due to the light weight of the glider is was ok to tow this size glider

Hobbyking Tundra Towing 2,8 M glider (1 min 21 sec)

Cheers
Soren
May 26, 2019, 01:41 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Thread OP
Would the tow line length make any difference?
May 26, 2019, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woogie_man
Not really sure what happened. But the ground was anything but smooth and the grass was fairly long. Dad is getting new parts and we will try again. So ok worries.

Guess it is a timber not a tundra...sorry
Just how long is that grass? That might be it. Normally, I'd suggest larger wheels to deal with stuff like that, but the ones on the Timber are pretty big already. Bigger probably wouldn't hurt, of course. Also, you already have a large, relatively low pitch prop, so I doubt you can gain a whole lot there. Do you know how many watts that motor is rated for?

A guy in our club once staked out a large tarp, flat on the ground, with significant tension on it. It made a great runway but, being plastic, it damaged the grass underneath it after a few hours in the sun. A bit on the expensive side, too. Maybe a canvas tarp wouldn't kill the grass as fast, but that would be even more expensive.

Quick Reply