Jan 24, 2020, 09:25 PM
'Extreme Fabricator'
I've also noticed changes in characteristics with just where the mass is located. Having weight at the extremities versus the same weight close to centre has a promounced damping effect on sharp attitude changes and how smooth the plane flies.
I'd even considered making wing fitted inline liion packs for a build to test differences.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2020, 06:01 PM

45km Autonomous flight over ocean Bianary with Maxwell S2 wing

Just finished editing and uploading this flight. It's long, but you gat to see some pretty scenes when it reaches the islands halfway through. Enjoy:
EPIC 45km OCEAN SEARCH MISSION by MAXWELL MINI1600 UAV to Remote "Todos Santos" Islands at 64km/hr (49 min 47 sec)

BTW I tested adding weights to the wings of a Skywalker 1900 once, and it had only positive effects on handling. Totally viable as fas as I'm concerned. done moderately, will reduce stress on wing in high G maneuvers as well, but will increase shock loading downward on wing in a high rate of Descent landing.. but if moderate, probably perfectly okay. even better would be to put some of the batteries in the wing. Some aircraft put them in the wing spar, and some even carry fuel in the spar too. that way no external drag, but if they only fit in pods, so be it. pretty minimal effect on CD.
Jan 26, 2020, 03:31 PM
Binary, this model is great

Sonicmodell Binary - highway inspection (4 min 17 sec)
Jan 26, 2020, 05:02 PM
FPV Geek

SonicModell Binary - New Camera Runcam Hybrid VS Gopro Session 5

SonicModell Binary - New Camera Runcam Hybrid VS Gopro Session 5 & Weight Optimisation

SonicModell Binary - New Camera Runcam Hybrid VS Gopro Session 5 &... (5 min 12 sec)
Jan 28, 2020, 05:58 PM
FPV Geek
and now
Jan 31, 2020, 03:13 PM
Looks like Lots of people having good success with the binary platform DESPITE the short, relatively low aspect ratio wings! and finding solutions to extend them. GLAD to see it!!
Jan 31, 2020, 06:06 PM
'Extreme Fabricator'
I'm making a new 360 degree pan servo for mine. I've spent way too long machining these pieces to be as light as possible. With the servo it should end up around 25g which is my limit.
Feb 01, 2020, 04:51 PM
WOW
Assuming the pan servo will be for a pilot's view camera in the "cockpit" area, on the forward deck?
If so, what camera will you be using?
Why not just use a 360 servo? or are they too large to fit your setup, or not smooth enough?
I've found some good 170 deg. mini servos that are smooth, and not expensive:
K-power servo brand M0170 .
with a relatively wide angle camera, and assuming that there is nothing directly behind the
camera that you wanted to look at anyway, may be a good solution.
The GWS 360 1T servo does not weigh that much, as it has plastic gears, but it's also cheap, and smooth enough for most applications. and it actually turns 360 degrees.
will you be putting the potentiometer externally on the main shaft? In my understanding, it would provide much smoother operation, and slower, but that is desirable.
I wish someone woudl bring something like that to market.. but i guess partially solved by tech such as in the gopro 7 and newer cameras, so that they are not that sensitive to jitters or vibrations.
Feb 01, 2020, 05:08 PM
Just wanted to share my solution for mounting my FPV cam and VTX and still retain the clear canopy for aesthetic and aerodynamic reasons. I designed and 3D printed this vent system so that the air flows around the camera, then through the vent which is where the VTX is mounted. The air then flows the through the fuselage and out of the preexisting outlet vents.
Feb 01, 2020, 06:12 PM
'Extreme Fabricator'
Thanks for the heads up on servo options. I have modified a few servo's for extended range, but I've found they get a bit weird at full (ccw) rotation once more than about 45 more angle is added, possibly due to potentiometer limitations.
It is only for the flight cam, but I may attach a second 808 camera to it sometimes.
I would prefer metal gear also, I had a plastic one shear off with a slightly hard landing once, but it was carrying a tilt servo plus a bigger camera than I now use.
I might try using nylon bushes instead of the flanged roller bearings in this one, it will save almost 10g.
The thing I like with this set up is I can feed the camera wires down the shaft directly into the plane. The camera shaft passes up through a small hole in the canopy and that flange mounts the camera bracket, then slides onto the protruding shaft locking with a grub screw once the canopy is in place. I have two gear options for the camera shaft, one 2.25:1 the other 1.8:1 I'll need to test the range of both with the camera in place.
The parts look a lot bigger in the pictures, the belt is only 4mm wide, I have smaller ones, but this one is just 1.3grams and with the pulleys total 6.3grams.
I may also need to dampen the servo to stop jitters if necessary but on a previous (vehicle) version of this system, leaving the belt slightly slack makes for a much smoother motion, it dampens some of the rotational stepping.
Feb 01, 2020, 09:22 PM
'Extreme Fabricator'
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera0to60
Just wanted to share my solution for mounting my FPV cam and VTX and still retain the clear canopy for aesthetic and aerodynamic reasons. I designed and 3D printed this vent system so that the air flows around the camera, then through the vent which is where the VTX is mounted. The air then flows the through the fuselage and out of the preexisting outlet vents.
Looks good, with low drag and cooling.
Good engineering solves multiple problems with single solutions.
Feb 02, 2020, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera0to60

WOW looks great!
I'm assuming that the vents to the side of the camera continue as channels back to the VTX in the middle of the piece?
I have my airspeed Pitot tube mounted in the same location as your camera, and it works well there, and is very protected, but nothing wrong with it being on the side of the fuselage. I like your simple mount for it, and may do something similar for mine. I tried using the PT-60 aluminum Pitot tube that you can find on ebay, and ran autocal on Arduplane, but found that the airspeed ratio bottoms out at the minimum ratio of 1. This results in airspeed readings that do not match the groundspeed readings, even in still air, but have an offset. Not a problem for the airplane, as it flies great, but means that i cannot duplicate the system until it is corrected, the airspeed can autocal to match the groundspeed (succesful autocal), and i will have to adjust the percentages of value of all of the airspeed values that i entered in Arduplane to match. Currently reading 50kph airspeed, and 64 Ground speed in still air.

What motors, props and voltage/batt type are you using?

Will you make the VTX and Camera mount STL file available on Thingiverse? Either way i understand.
Feb 02, 2020, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicecooper
Looks good, with low drag and cooling.
Good engineering solves multiple problems with single solutions.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Webb
WOW looks great!
I'm assuming that the vents to the side of the camera continue as channels back to the VTX in the middle of the piece?
I have my airspeed Pitot tube mounted in the same location as your camera, and it works well there, and is very protected, but nothing wrong with it being on the side of the fuselage. I like your simple mount for it, and may do something similar for mine. I tried using the PT-60 aluminum Pitot tube that you can find on ebay, and ran autocal on Arduplane, but found that the airspeed ratio bottoms out at the minimum ratio of 1. This results in airspeed readings that do not match the groundspeed readings, even in still air, but have an offset. Not a problem for the airplane, as it flies great, but means that i cannot duplicate the system until it is corrected, the airspeed can autocal to match the groundspeed (succesful autocal), and i will have to adjust the percentages of value of all of the airspeed values that i entered in Arduplane to match. Currently reading 50kph airspeed, and 64 Ground speed in still air.

What motors, props and voltage/batt type are you using?

Will you make the VTX and Camera mount STL file available on Thingiverse? Either way i understand.
Correct, the vents on the sides of the camera are "Y" into the vent duct directly behind the camera.

Specs are:
Scorpion M2212-930Kv motors spinning Master Airscrew 8x6x3 props. 30a ZTW ESCs
Been using 4s anywhere from 3300 to 8000 mAh batteries.
Flight controller Matek F765 wing with Arduplane 4.02 with analog airspeed sensor. Beitian BN-880 GPS
RMRC 1.3 VTX 400mw
EZUFH

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4150259
Last edited by carrera0to60; Feb 07, 2020 at 05:58 PM.
Feb 02, 2020, 12:51 PM
RC Crazy
Ok guys carrying on with my Binary build here whist it is no good for flying in my neck of the woods. So I did some weighing of the all up weight of the airframe without battery but including my 360 Runcam 5 and my Caddx Ratel dedicated OSD camera and canopy and it comes to 1387g.

Now as my model will fly on 3s 5000mahs's as I have loads of these lying around that all my FPV fleet fly on my weight with battery will stack up like this:-

Binary and one 5000mah battery 1740g
Binary and two 5000mah batteries 2093g

The latter will give me 126 watts of power available for that weight of 2093g.

How do these weights stack up against yours?

I have attached a photo of my canopy with both camera's installed, the mount is a two to one gear ratio mount whcih doubles the travel (and it works very well with all 3D printed parts). I used a simple 90 degree servo modifed for close to 180 degree travel then with the doubler on my mount it gives me just shy of 360 travel not bad from a single 90 degree servo!
Feb 05, 2020, 08:07 AM
'Extreme Fabricator'
I decided to mod a digital Emax for 180 degree's, as I have done this servo before in another build. The K-power servo M0170 was just a bit too heavy at 21 grams, and I have plenty of these Emax's around. For anyone contemplating doing the mod, it's easy if you have good SMD level soldering skills. I use 0805 series resistors (on hand) and anything else used needs to be very small. I have also used through hole micro 1/32 watt metal film before, but they are virtually unobtainable so SMD is now my only option.
The modified servo is prone to end point runaway at full deflection if end point limits are exceeded, and is worse at full CCW (looking from top) hence the different resistor values either side. It will still runaway above 2060ms, and below 940ms, but keeping the control values between 1000-2000 will keep it safe.
With these values placed in the order shown, you will get precisely 180 degrees and exactly 90 degrees at 1500ms.
The servo model is ES09MD and it provides pretty smooth motion even at 50Hz.

Quick Reply