Aug 21, 2019, 09:01 AM
Maintain Thine Airspeed !

Thank you foam Gods!

Excited to receive my Binary today and it appears the foam gods divine protection worked, because BG (EU) and the courier (Hermes) did their best to screw it up. Single boxed and large hole punched through the box. I still can't believe the parts are undamaged, I had to check them all twice to convince myself they were OK.

BTW I just want to add that initial impressions are that the foam is one of the toughest and best moulded I have seen

A question for you owners - did your kit come with the mapping camera mount? Looking at Andrew Newton's build video it seems it was supplied in his kit. If that is the case then mine has disappeared through the hole in the box presumably?
Last edited by Redbrickman; Aug 21, 2019 at 11:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 03:49 PM
No, the mapping camera mount kit is optional ...
Aug 21, 2019, 06:43 PM
Thanks, they obviously threw one in for his review. I'm not planning to use it at the moment but may do in the future.

I'm now looking at the parts put togther (dry fit) and it looks a real nice machine in real life. Part of me has a mad idea of adding retracting U/C like the Tecnam P2006T but I haven't got the design skills for that
Aug 21, 2019, 08:31 PM
'Extreme Fabricator'
Maybe if Banggood are de boxing them, SonicModell should just glue the plane box into the shipping box, it might make them think twice. It's the one thing currently stopping me from ordering a second one, risk factor is just too high, with zero Banggood support when needed.
Aug 22, 2019, 06:43 AM
That would be an easy solution - glue them together and stop the nonsense I think Sonicmoddell would sell more if people had more confidence in them arriving undamaged.

BG are probably using the outer box to ship other stuff
Aug 22, 2019, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiro_Sky
Fixed wing lamination is easy. Binary has a lot of bends and it is not so simple. The bottom of the plane is secured with tape. Waiting for nice weather to do the tests.
It should not be too difficult to laminate the fuselage. I have laminated the Nano Talon with good success and it has more compound and smaller curves.
Aug 22, 2019, 08:43 AM
My Binary that I ordered directly from Sonic Modell arrived in perfect condition today. I definately recommend them even if it costs more than Banggood. The reason is that they are deboxing the planes to save shipping costs.
Aug 22, 2019, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabo
My Binary that I ordered directly from Sonic Modell arrived in perfect condition today. I definately recommend them even if it costs more than Banggood. The reason is that they are deboxing the planes to save shipping costs.
You know that or just guess?
As someone who has work in logistic / shipping many years with a number of chinese factories, I can tell you that the shipping prices are negotiated in volumes & size / weight slots in this order. So basically you have this price if you ship with a courier a certain volume of UP TO 10kgs large boxes, lets say. If BG choose to de-box as you say they might save a very small amount as the packages will be 1cm slimmer and 500 gr lighter but the saving will be insignificant or event could be no saving (same weight / size slot).

However they will lose a lot more by de-boxing as that takes time (people needs to be paid to do it) and raise way too many complaints / refunds later; that will be a very bad business decision and even BG are not that stupid.

My "guess" is that this is how they are delivered from Sonic Modell. Reasons could be many: first cardboard & extra packaging its a cost and not a small one, specially if we talk about retail boxes; you have artwork , printing etc; If BG is pushing the manufacturer for very low prices then the later needs to "cut" something to preserve his margin. And they cut on the retail packaging, quality control, cheaper raw materials, etc Then you have some scale economies, smaller boxes means more boxes / pallet (or container) and that leads to cheaper shipping between factory and retailer.

However the manufacturer will never admit that, they will always blame the "retailer". :-)
Aug 22, 2019, 11:37 AM
Well Sonicmoddell have not directly said that the they are double boxed but on replying to one post about damage have indicated that:

SonicModell [42456251]
This is completely unacceptable, and for sure is not the way we pack and send our planes out of the factory, otherwise they'll be certainly all obliterated by now.

So it seems to infer that Sonicmoddell send them out packed differently than BG.

@Jabo - perhaps you can show or tell us what was different about the packaging of your model?
Aug 22, 2019, 12:11 PM
This is how it looks:
Aug 22, 2019, 02:29 PM

2212 980 kv ?

I have some of these motors on hand and was wondering if these would do the job. Thanks in advance.
Aug 22, 2019, 05:13 PM
be friendly and have fun
I am building my Binary and would like to know from someone more knowledgeable than me if I can fly with this 4s 10.500 mah ( i believe 3P) which weight is 629 grs.
it fits nicely in the fuselage but my only concern is weight and discharge
TIA
Aug 22, 2019, 06:31 PM
Long Range FPV addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreskin
I have some of these motors on hand and was wondering if these would do the job. Thanks in advance.
I use the Sunnysky 2212 980kv motor with 4S and 8x6x3 props.
You can see from the video they work well but I still feel a higher kv may be better.
Sonicmodell Binary 26km flight (56 min 28 sec)
Aug 22, 2019, 06:34 PM
Long Range FPV addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by esadanger
I am building my Binary and would like to know from someone more knowledgeable than me if I can fly with this 4s 10.500 mah ( i believe 3P) which weight is 629 grs.
TIA
I have flown my Binary with a 17.5 amp 4S5P pack that weighs 1012 grams. See video above.
Aug 22, 2019, 08:06 PM
I'd rather be flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by esadanger
TIA
Yes no problem. I use 10,500 with about same weight. Just verify that battery will fit with the hatch closed though. I had to use a long narrow battery as the hatch would not fully close with my fat 10,500 battery.

Quick Reply