Jul 17, 2019, 11:38 PM
Flight school dropout
I'd recomment the sunnysky 2212 1400kv as well but with 8x6 e-props, even if you run low throttle because of the extra pitch. They will be more efficient.

I just recieved my binary. It looks really good. List of pros and cons:

Pros -

+ Arrived undamaged despite single box with puncture wounds
+ Fuselage is perfect size, plenty of room for everything but not too big to grip for hand launching
+ Extra parts like landing skid are welcome
+ Quality foam
+ Great locking mechanisms for hatches and wings

Cons-
- Holes for lights (would be simple to have dents for where to cut for those using lights)
- Everything is glued together (I don't mind the fuselage glued and the required wood being there, but the extra weight of the battery tray isn't needed and the wood on the canopy is a good option but I'd rather make my own without all the extra holes or 3D print something. The wood is way thicker than it needs to be for those parts as well)
- Wingspan is a little small and chord is shallow (will fly fast and stall deeper)
- The scale nacelles are okay, but this is an FPV plane so they just add drag. Would much rather see a motor mount that is only marginally bigger than the motors
- Nose is a little long. Will be impossible to get it out of a gopro shot and hard to get out of the FPV cam if you don't want to see it.

Compared to the Twinstar:
+ Twinstar has the perfect size wings for this category, 1400mm and thicker chord

- Twinstar wings have dihedral so the flat wings of the Binary will likely fly better as long as your moving along
- Twinstar body is hard to fit FPV and FC gear in

Compared with the Crosswind Mini:
+ Crosswind Mini comes in parts so you can build it as you like
+ The wings have the carbon spars built which slot into a central carbon rod so theres no need to carry a long spar around
+ Crosswind Mini has spots in the foam to glue plastic hinges in for all surfaces
+ Crosswind Mini has a shorter nose

- Crosswind made for up to 2814 motors which is bigger than needed in this class
- Crosswind fueslage is too big, hard to hold to throw and is just full of empty space
- 1600mm wingspan of the the crosswind mini is a bit big where the Binary is a bit small
- Crosswind mini is twice the price!
Last edited by toypilot; Jul 18, 2019 at 12:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2019, 05:08 AM
Fly it then we can talk about stall ... and flight speed.
Jul 18, 2019, 06:49 AM
Flight school dropout
Where do you run the CG paunFD?
Jul 18, 2019, 07:26 AM
'Extreme Fabricator'
Running steeper pitch props is way less efficient in a slow moving plane. The pitch works like gears in a car, and steeper pitch props suffer more prop stall at lower flight speed, especially at the root. It's effect is like driving a car uphill in too higher gear. An 8x6 is more efficient at speeds above where a Binary flies best, 8x4.5 or 8x5 will be more efficient. You'll also find your rate of climb will be higher with a shallower pitch prop, and with less current drawn for that ROC. Again like car gearing, less pitch actually lets the prop spin faster for a given throttle setting, making the motor run closer to sync reducing current draw, as that increase in prop speed helps the motor to run cooler, it also adds to it's electrical efficiency, as hotter windings have higher resistance which wastes even more energy as heat.
You can run the numbers through E-Calc, I ran extensive prop testing several years ago for my own applications, both static and in the tunnel, and the results made prop selection pretty easy for the motors and aircraft I was using, although in general, planes, motor's, esc's and props are all different and even prop numbers are not consistent with actual performance, so my advice is, spend twenty bucks on a few different pitches and brands, fly them all on a dead still day, log the figures and choose what's best for yourself.
Last edited by alicecooper; Jul 18, 2019 at 07:41 AM.
Jul 18, 2019, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toypilot
Where do you run the CG paunFD?
3mm nose heavy from given CG marks.
But be aware that i installed that thingy which acts like VG's. Check photos of my plane posted here.
Jul 19, 2019, 08:47 AM
'Extreme Fabricator'
PaunFD, you weren't flying your Binary near any US carriers lately were you?
Nobody seems to know who's fixed wing drone it was they 'claim' to have shot down...
in reality, they just jammed its radio signals, but who knows if it actually crashed.
There's the reason for your RC freeze! lol
Jul 19, 2019, 09:24 AM
AC i never flown anything since the passed that "outstanding" law that forbid it ... All that i've done was taking planes in my hand, running and screaming "vruuuuum, vruuuuuum, vruuuuum" ...
Sometimes, there are sheep near me and i strap my plane to one, and while she runs, i scream "vruuuuum, vruuuuum, vruuuuum" and watch the video feed that comes thru my goggles.
Most of the times dough, i stay in my lawn-chair with my Taranis in my hands, turned off - of course, and pretend that i'm piloting the A320 that flies above me ...
All the video that i post are done by a very distant friend of mine, who live very far away, like far, far, far, away from me, and from any US carrier ... like thousands of miles away ...

Don't spread that rumor further, because some people might actually believe that was me and send me away to Guantanamo ...
Jul 19, 2019, 01:34 PM
Well, my Binary finally made it.
Single boxed and battered, but with the plane in perfect shape.
Really impressed with the kit, cant wait to start building.
Jul 20, 2019, 06:22 AM
'Extreme Fabricator'
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunFD
AC i never flown anything since the passed that "outstanding" law that forbid it ... All that i've done was taking planes in my hand, running and screaming "vruuuuum, vruuuuuum, vruuuuum" ...
Sometimes, there are sheep near me and i strap my plane to one, and while she runs, i scream "vruuuuum, vruuuuum, vruuuuum" and watch the video feed that comes thru my goggles.
Most of the times dough, i stay in my lawn-chair with my Taranis in my hands, turned off - of course, and pretend that i'm piloting the A320 that flies above me ...
All the video that i post are done by a very distant friend of mine, who live very far away, like far, far, far, away from me, and from any US carrier ... like thousands of miles away ...

Don't spread that rumor further, because some people might actually believe that was me and send me away to Guantanamo ...
That's exactly what I thought, and I will convey that to Donald.
(Maybe suggest they put lost model alarms in their planes, and setup working failsafe to prevent it from happening again)
It's a national embarrassment.
Jul 21, 2019, 02:59 PM
So mine is built, and ready for maiden.

AUW inc 4S6600mah lipo is 1638grams.
Post build summary video to come after maiden hopefully tomorow.
Jul 21, 2019, 03:06 PM
Not bad!
Good luck, fingers crossed!
Jul 23, 2019, 08:55 AM
Hi SonicModell,

Are there any plans to design and offer slightly larger twin motor airframes? I think there is a gap since I don't know any twin motor airframe between 1200mm and 1600mm ...
I think the Binary is just slightly too small to carry a gimbal with some resonable battery for longer flight time. I know it wasn't designed for that and it's probably optimized for what it is.
My dream twin airframe would feature a 3-part wing with the nacelles connected to the fuselage, a "faster airfoil" (travel speed at 60kmh) and enough weight carrying capability for a 3-axis gimbal and enough batteries for at least 45 min flight time.
Jul 23, 2019, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra
@SonicModell
Many thanks for your feedback and kind offer. That is great support from manufacturer.
I received feedback from Bangood and it seems the default shipping option ( and the one I choose) has a size limit.
It is bad they allow this. There is no indication there is a size limit. And it is bad they just cancel order with no reason or even option to pay extra.

So I have raised a third order at their suggestion with a different postal option – a whole 1.28 more. Lol.
Nothing to thanks Shikra. I'm glad you sorted that out. I'm not going to get tired to say that any problem you guys encounter with the retailers, shipping, products, mother in law... please let us know, that's the only way we can improve the circuit.

Cheers!
Jul 23, 2019, 09:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicecooper
I wouldn't use any collet style motor, so a 1400kv 2212 sunnysky would be a good choice, coupled with an 8x5e 2 blade prop. Possibly even a 4.5 pitch as the plane is fairly slow, so it will pick up some efficiency.
Having you, Keith and Paun in this thread, I don't really need to answer anything! Thanks AC!
Jul 23, 2019, 09:46 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by paunfd
ac i never flown anything since the passed that "outstanding" law that forbid it ... All that i've done was taking planes in my hand, running and screaming "vruuuuum, vruuuuuum, vruuuuum" ...
Most of the times dough, i stay in my lawn-chair with my taranis in my hands, turned off - of course, and pretend that i'm piloting the a320 that flies above me ...
All the video that i post are done by a very distant friend of mine, who live very far away, like far, far, far, away from me, and from any us carrier ... Like thousands of miles away ...

Don't spread that rumor further, because some people might actually believe that was me and send me away to guantanamo ...
lmfao!!!! :d:d:d:d:d:d

Quick Reply