May 18, 2019, 10:39 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Build Log

Kyosho Beneteau First 53 F5

Just picked up a classic little kyosho kit. An out of print beauty ! Straight out of the box the kit isnít bad, however there is lots of room to improve, so.... Here I go again!
Pictured is the bare hull with all flash removed. I am framing out the main deck for planking King plank and margins are 1/16 inch mahogany strip. Planking will be 1/16 basswood. I will plank the main deck and cockpit areas only.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2019, 08:13 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Margins and king planks in place, planking begins using 1/16 x 1/32 inch basswood strips. A sharpie marker provides caulking effect.
May 21, 2019, 02:29 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
I've amassed a portfolio of actual Beneteau pics. Here's a few , to show what I'm shooting for. A lot of the kit supplied parts will be re-worked or replaced to emulate the delicate grace of the original. The kit doesn't include wood planking for the main deck. Either planked or unplanked is accurate as it varied by individual boats.
May 22, 2019, 09:31 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Last nightís progress. Iím about halfway through the the main deck planking. I think I will do alternating basswood and mahogany on the cockpit seating. Just to spice it up a bit
May 22, 2019, 09:58 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Main deck planking complete. Cockpit next.
May 25, 2019, 09:02 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Main deck done and Iím starting on the cabin. Iíve cut away all the excess plastic on the underside of the main hatch section. The kyosho molding is very thick and heavy. Iíve saved much topside weight here. Also a visit to the jewelry maker section of the local craft store yielded these tiny working compasses. Iím cutting out the frames of hatches and ports to glaze them with polycarbonate for some additional interest.
May 26, 2019, 12:33 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Cockpit planking complete only missing the wheels and a few coils of line. Next on the list is ports/ skylights. On a model of this complexity I paint as I go, so the topside is painted in satin white . Once the port and skylight frames are in place , I will give her a shot of satin clearcoat prior to glazing.
May 26, 2019, 08:45 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Ports and skylights are in. I replaced the black stickers from the kit with polycarbonate painted with Krylon stained glass aqua blue. All the wood has been treated with Tung oil. All of the chromed pieces got a coating of testers dull cote to knock down the obnoxious shine.
May 27, 2019, 02:42 AM
Hi Stephen
That is looking really nice, well done. Keep the Pictures coming please.
Regards

Daniel
May 27, 2019, 06:28 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Thank you , more pics coming. I’m painting the hull now
May 27, 2019, 10:04 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Under hull will be aqua (Krylon ďSurfĒ) white boot topping.
May 28, 2019, 06:59 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Topsides done, mast done. I sanded down the chunky chrome finish on the boom and spreaders added some lightening holes to the boom and sprayed them with Krylon gloss ivory. Rigging will commence once the inner works are done .
May 28, 2019, 07:39 AM
That's looking really nice Stephen! It is going to look great under sail.
May 28, 2019, 02:18 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Thanks Carl.
May 28, 2019, 09:49 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
The devil is in the details! Iíve added the bow pulpit and stern railings. I pinstriped the boot topping and applied some of the kit provided decals

Quick Reply