May 18, 2019, 07:28 PM
All aboard Flight 666
Thread OP
Discussion

Heli Porpoising in forward flight

Hi all, I have a V1 Blade 230s and 2 Blade 250 cfx's (all stock) that all porpoise and seem to actually oscillate (the porpoising gets worse as it goes).

The symptoms are usually during or right after fast forward flight

What might be causing this? Gyro related? Any fixes?

Thx
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2019, 01:55 AM
How is their centre of gravity? The main shaft should be your point of balance - I would check that first. A correct CoG is an important part of the set-up that is often overlooked. Porpoising can be an indication that the heli is tail heavy(rearward C of G).
Last edited by Cyclone 7; May 19, 2019 at 02:55 AM.
May 19, 2019, 06:31 AM
I added 3/4 oz. of stick on lead to the very front of my 1k mah batteries. She flies great. This on my 230s. V1 & V2.
May 19, 2019, 06:56 AM
All aboard Flight 666
Thread OP
Ah, didn’t think of that. I’ll take a look. Thx
May 19, 2019, 06:57 AM
Is it happening with the stability function on or off? If off, it could be as simple as CG. I would also check the main shaft to make sure it's not starting to warp.

But if it's the same symptom in all 3 heli's the one common piece between the 3 is the transmitter. Not sure how it would cause a problem like that but it's something to look at.
May 19, 2019, 06:59 AM
All aboard Flight 666
Thread OP
So far I’m noticing it in stability mode

In the other modes I tend not to perform fast forward flight.
May 19, 2019, 07:36 AM
230's are very light. CG is mandatory. They are tail heavy out of the box. The 800mah battery is light also. Balancing it will be a cheap (and necessary) first fix.
May 19, 2019, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22
So far Iím noticing it in stability mode

In the other modes I tend not to perform fast forward flight.
If it's just in stability mode the gyro could be trying to compensate for some sort of mechanical(CG) or setup(using trim) deficiency. When you first plug the battery in, it's imperative to not move the heli until the gyro is fully initialized as this will also cause stability problems. Also, make sure all trims are set to 0. Using the radios standard trim like you would a plane will cause FBL gyros to act weird.

If you have room, try moving the battery forward a bit and see what happens. If after shifting the CG forward some and making sure the heli isn't moved during the initialization process, I would suggest doing a trim flight.

That's a few options but remember to only make 1 adjustment at a time and then test so you know what each adjustment has done. Sorry if I am feeding info that you already know, just spewing what's coming to mind. These are great little heli's when they are setup right! Have even thought about getting a V2 as my V1 is getting tired.
May 19, 2019, 09:00 AM
All aboard Flight 666
Thread OP
Thx sir

My battery has been a 1/2” forward from the rear stop (1000mah)
All trims have been zero
I always leave the heli still when initializing

I’ll keep playing with CG (my V2, the battery is in the same spot and does not porpoise. )
May 19, 2019, 12:31 PM
It is very important that you address the C of G issue before doing anything else, which might involve adding unwanted weight to the nose but that is infinitely better than struggling on with a heli that is tail heavy. Never try and compensate for a bad C of G with trims or linkage adjustments - you will only be introducing inconsistencies and compounding the problem .
May 19, 2019, 12:45 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Agree with all that's been said so far, CG needs to be right. If that means adding lead to the nose so be it but the heli needs to balance on the main shaft.

Having said that.. Stability mode does often cause some unusual flying characteristics even in a properly balanced heli. The whole concept of the stability function is that the heli constantly tries to self level. This tendency to always be trying to fight against any input that takes the heli away from 'level' can cause issues if you try to fly aggressively.
The simple solution if this is the case is to transition away from stability mode as soon as possible. Stability is really only intended for basic learning i.e. hovering and slow circuits etc. You should be comfortable flying with stability off before you try more advanced flying, like fast flight.
May 19, 2019, 01:38 PM
All aboard Flight 666
Thread OP
If I understand correctly, self leveling completely goes away when I switch to agility mode, correct?
May 19, 2019, 02:01 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22
If I understand correctly, self leveling completely goes away when I switch to agility mode, correct?
I've not used the blade system but i'm pretty sure you are correct.
May 19, 2019, 02:47 PM
All aboard Flight 666
Thread OP
Ok, thx all

I’ll focus on CG at the mast and also start forcing myself to fly in Agility mode

Thx for the tips
May 19, 2019, 03:30 PM
A good initial set-up which includes establishing a correct C of G is the key to a happy heli and in turn, a happy pilot

I agree with JPF about getting off Stability mode as soon as you feel comfortable enough to do so - I can well imagine how it could easily become more of a hindrance than a benefit.

Quick Reply