Jun 05, 2019, 05:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT
Doom, you have to be excited about this . I hope you get one of the first.
I am very excited but I am waiting on purpose. I'm getting some custom work done on the 2 or 3 I'm ordering and have to wait till Gaspar gets the first batches out the door.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 05, 2019, 05:50 AM

Thoughts please

Are you guys worried at all about how to fit all the turbine gear for this motor in a 90mm size jet?

I have a HSD Super viper which is 105mm in EDF form. Mine is the turbine version with a Kingtech 70 and even that is challenging to get all the gear in.

Dont get me wrong, I looooooovw the idea of putting turbines in 90mm jets as these jet are so readily available and affordable.

Just like to hear your thoughts.
Jun 05, 2019, 07:03 AM
I have a super viper and a k70, honestly bags of room in that for a turbine install?.

As for 90mm jets there is a huge amount of room left from not fitting a big 6s 5000mah battery in most cases, balancing is the only thing that can get tricky without a bit of forward thinking. Oh and a suppose getting the tank somewhere near CG.
Jun 05, 2019, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raydar
I have a super viper and a k70, honestly bags of room in that for a turbine install?.

As for 90mm jets there is a huge amount of room left from not fitting a big 6s 5000mah battery in most cases, balancing is the only thing that can get tricky without a bit of forward thinking.
Yes I realise that but... my question is how easily can you put all that gear in a 90mm airframe?
Jun 05, 2019, 07:11 AM
No worries mate!
Choose a conversion where the fuel tank can fit over the CG and the turbine can be moved up from the edf location so it sits just behind the tank. Then, most of the support equipment will fit where the 5000 lipo used to sit.

I made a composite photo showing the equipment area of the Scorpion for the K30.
The 2100mah 9.9v ECU battery and 800mah 2s lipo RX pack are stuffed in the air inlet at the nose - no lead needed (pic 2)
Jun 05, 2019, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanning
No worries mate!
Choose a conversion where the fuel tank can fit over the CG and the turbine can be moved up from the edf location so it sits just behind the tank. Then, most of the support equipment will fit where the 5000 lipo used to sit.

I made a composite photo showing the equipment area of the Scorpion for the K30.
The 2100mah 9.9v ECU battery and 800mah 2s lipo RX pack are stuffed in the air inlet at the nose - no lead needed (pic 2)
Do you use an airtrap?
Jun 05, 2019, 07:16 AM
2 oz uat with a felt clunk - look under the fuel filter in the picture - right next to the fuel pump - at the forward end of the battery tray.
Jun 05, 2019, 08:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronn
Are you guys worried at all about how to fit all the turbine gear for this motor in a 90mm size jet?

I have a HSD Super viper which is 105mm in EDF form. Mine is the turbine version with a Kingtech 70 and even that is challenging to get all the gear in.

Dont get me wrong, I looooooovw the idea of putting turbines in 90mm jets as these jet are so readily available and affordable.

Just like to hear your thoughts.
This turbine will fit easily. It's much smaller than a k70. I was a to install a k70 in my hsd 90mm viperjet that flew fine. In fact 80mm jets will work fine too. The X45 will be a easier install than the new K45G3 too as its kero plug is fully internal and so is the delicate thermocouple.
Jun 05, 2019, 09:14 AM
Could be neater. Ecu and uat in batt bay, pump and flight batt's further forward. All in a 90mm Skysword.
Jun 05, 2019, 09:56 PM
Philjac94
As the Australian Sales and Service Agency for Jets Munt and Xicoy Engines and Products I received an X45 to help with real world testing, before final release to the public. It has passed with flying colours with only a few minor tweaks recommended but not critically needed in the final release engine.

I retrofitted the X45 into a CARF Spark, I purchased the jet as a RTF jet soley as a test bed for the X45. The Kingtech K60 was removed and the X45 fitted. The weight difference means a thorough revamp of the existing setup as now no ballast is required and only the 1 Rx battery and 2200mah ECU battery is all that is needed.

The X45 pushes the Spark around beautifully with an average 1:1 flying power to weight ratio. Unlimited vertical performance and blistering straight and level speed. The engine is very economical with 10mins flight times seen on 1L of fuel. The tank fitted to the Spark actually carries 1.3L so there is plenty of reserve if need be. A massive difference in the 3.5mins this very jet used to fly for with its previous engine.

As you can see, the X45 is almost lost in the Spark fuselage and the Ancillary equipment takes up very little real estate. This was tested almost a week ago and I am still smiling, and looking forward to more airtime.
Jun 05, 2019, 10:46 PM
Wheels make the world go-round
Absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing your experience.
Jun 06, 2019, 02:38 AM

Which airframe?

Just after everybody's thoughts as to what the best airframe would be for this motor?
Jun 06, 2019, 04:16 AM
Money no object micro t1 would allow you to get the absolute max out this motor. Yes I did not recommend a foamie as absolute best option, not to say you can't fit in a foamie as I will and many other will too.
Last edited by raydar; Jun 06, 2019 at 04:26 AM.
Jun 06, 2019, 04:36 PM
Hello,

received mine yesterday (I am located in France), sharing some photos of unpackaging and content.
Some comments about photos:
The other engine side by side is a Jet munts VT80
The USB key at credit card format is the user manual, coming on top of the quick reference guide provided at paper format.
I've attached user manual to the post.

I will install turbine into a Sebart Mini MB339. Setup will be Intairco Mini trap + Tony Clark 1000 cc tank, and grumania pipe (single walled, diam 46mm)

Hope it helps.

Phil
Jun 06, 2019, 04:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil0ufr31
Hello,

received mine yesterday (I am located in France), sharing some photos of unpackaging and content.
Some comments about photos:
The other engine side by side is a Jet munts VT80
The USB key at credit card format is the user manual, coming on top of the quick reference guide provided at paper format.
I've attached user manual to the post.

I will install turbine into a Sebart Mini MB339. Setup will be Intairco Mini trap + Tony Clark 1000 cc tank, and grumania pipe (single walled, diam 46mm)

Hope it helps.

Phil
Thank you Phil for this, gives me even more motivation to save up for a couple of these mini monsters

Quick Reply