Sep 16, 2019, 01:00 AM
Adelaide South Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronn
Good point! This is my first EDF conversion so still lots to learn!!
Tronn, I really think that you need to split your electrical system. At least a 2s 2000mah LiPo for the RX and a similar high c 2s LiPo for the turbine. The very small battery that you are using will possibly cause a brown out if say one of the retracts binds. You have a almost $4000 turbine jet relying on a single small LiPo! I have been flying turbines for 20 years and redundancy is the only safe way to fly these jets. I generally use a two battery input, two output BEC of at least 10 amps for the RX and a minimum 70c LiPo for a kero start turbine. If you want to stay with a single LiPo , at least use around a 3000mah type and remove some lead. Also, if you use aluminium tape around the thrust pipe, you don't need dual wall. I use single wall pipes on all my foam jets and they are very light. I don't mean to tell you how to operate these jets, but be very careful doing high speed taxi runs on dirt or grass, as fine particles can be sucked into the engine and damage it. Use some flap and the Avanti will take of in 25 meters with the amazing little X45 and keep the power low when taxiing on dirt. This is the one that I mostly use as it has dual input/dual output.
https://www.lindinger.at/en/rc-elect...linear-10a-bec
This is the minimum battery that I use on my X45's and I now have three of them!!
https://www.modelflight.com.au/duals...ah-2s-70c.html
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2019, 01:16 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
I use a single 2S 18650 in most cases. This makes for a whole day of flying. Where needed I go 2S2P instead of lead.

18650 can be discharged lower then 3v per cell so when my BEC set at 6V no longer can do 6V my Tx is set to sound the alarm at 5.9v which still makes it plenty to land. Obviously I never let it go that far but it's a safety feature.

In many cases the engine likes 3S and then my way is no good
Last edited by henke; Sep 16, 2019 at 01:24 AM.
Sep 16, 2019, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie1au
Tronn, I really think that you need to split your electrical system. At least a 2s 2000mah LiPo for the RX and a similar high c 2s LiPo for the turbine. The very small battery that you are using will possibly cause a brown out if say one of the retracts binds. You have a almost $4000 turbine jet relying on a single small LiPo! I have been flying turbines for 20 years and redundancy is the only safe way to fly these jets. I generally use a two battery input, two output BEC of at least 10 amps for the RX and a minimum 70c LiPo for a kero start turbine. If you want to stay with a single LiPo , at least use around a 3000mah type and remove some lead. Also, if you use aluminium tape around the thrust pipe, you don't need dual wall. I use single wall pipes on all my foam jets and they are very light. I don't mean to tell you how to operate these jets, but be very careful doing high speed taxi runs on dirt or grass, as fine particles can be sucked into the engine and damage it. Use some flap and the Avanti will take of in 25 meters with the amazing little X45 and keep the power low when taxiing on dirt. This is the one that I mostly use as it has dual input/dual output.
https://www.lindinger.at/en/rc-elect...linear-10a-bec
This is the minimum battery that I use on my X45's and I now have three of them!!
https://www.modelflight.com.au/duals...ah-2s-70c.html
I do have a second redundancy battery in all my expensive models.

I use the Optipower Ultra-gaurd with a 450mah battery.

If something goes wrong with the main battery, my telemetry tells me and 450mah is enough to get most planes back on the ground.

It self charges as well from the main battery so you can leave it in the model.

https://shop.mikadousa.com/Optipower...bo_p_1800.html

Good point too about taxing on dirt and grass!
Sep 16, 2019, 01:36 AM
Adelaide South Australia
Quote:
I do have a second redundancy battery in all my expensive models.

I use the Optipower Ultra-gaurd with a 450mah battery.

If something goes wrong with the main battery, my telemetry tells me and 450mah is enough to get most planes back on the ground.

It self charges as well from the main battery so you can leave it in the model.

https://shop.mikadousa.com/Optipower...bo_p_1800.html

Good point too about taxing on dirt and grass!
Yes, the Optipower is certainly better than nothing, but 450 mah just seems very small to me. Have you flown it yet, because my Avanti and X45 is now my favorite jet!
Sep 16, 2019, 01:42 AM
Adelaide South Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by raydar
Apparently, 3D flying will void the Xicoy warranty, looks amazing, though!!
Sep 16, 2019, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Yes, the Optipower is certainly better than nothing, but 450 mah just seems very small to me. Have you flown it yet, because my Avanti and X45 is now my favorite jet!
If the Ultra guard kicks in, the receiver voltage drops .5 of a volt.

I have the telemetry alarm set to 5.7 V so I will know if the voltage drops.

Also have telemetry alarm for the main pack set at 7.2 volts.

If the main lipo dies which is pretty unlikely these days, the 450 battery will keep the radio and servos running long enough to get the plane back on the ground.

You can use larger batteries than 450mah however it is only there for redundancy.

Haven't flown it yet except for the brief time yesterday when it accidentally took off and flew for approximately 20 or 30 metres. (Thank God I set the rates and C of G)

Still got a few more small modifications to make then it should be ready to go.

Need to drive two hours each way to get it inspected and signed off so trying to make sure everything is good to go before the inspection.

My EDF FW Avanti is my favourite EDF so pretty sure the Turbine Avanti will also be my favourite turbine.

The only other EDF that I enjoy flying more than the Avanti sometimes is my little FW stinger 64.

The only reason I like the stinger 64 a bit more than the Avanti sometimes is because it only owes $100 so it does lower, low level knife edge and lower, inverted passes better than the Avanti!

After flying the stinger, the Avanti feels so incredibly locked in.

Over 300 flights with my EDF and all of grass using a heavy 6S 6200 battery.

Full credit to Freewing for making such a great flying plane and landing gear that just keeps on taking the abuse. Who would have thought you could have landing gear glued into foam that would stay put after 300 flights?

That must be close to 1000 landings as I regularly do a lot of touch and goes.
Sep 16, 2019, 03:22 AM
Adelaide South Australia
Quote:
If the Ultra guard kicks in, the receiver voltage drops .5 of a volt.

I have the telemetry alarm set to 5.7 V so I will know if the voltage drops.

Also have telemetry alarm for the main pack set at 7.2 volts.

If the main lipo dies which is pretty unlikely these days, the 450 battery will keep the radio and servos running long enough to get the plane back on the ground.

You can use larger batteries than 450mah however it is only there for redundancy.

Haven't flown it yet except for the brief time yesterday when it accidentally took off and flew for approximately 20 or 30 metres. (Thank God I set the rates and C of G)

Still got a few more small modifications to make then it should be ready to go.

Need to drive two hours each way to get it inspected and signed off so trying to make sure everything is good to go before the inspection.

My EDF FW Avanti is my favourite EDF so pretty sure the Turbine Avanti will also be my favourite turbine.

The only other EDF that I enjoy flying more than the Avanti sometimes is my little FW stinger 64.

The only reason I like the stinger 64 a bit more than the Avanti sometimes is because it only owes $100 so it does lower, low level knife edge and lower, inverted passes better than the Avanti!

After flying the stinger, the Avanti feels so incredibly locked in.

Over 300 flights with my EDF and all of grass using a heavy 6S 6200 battery.

Full credit to Freewing for making such a great flying plane and landing gear that just keeps on taking the abuse. Who would have thought you could have landing gear glued into foam that would stay put after 300 flights?

That must be close to 1000 landings as I regularly do a lot of touch and goes.
You will love it! Because of the power available, you'll probably fly around at half throttle most of the time, and one litre will last 10 minutes!! It would be interesting to see the TOW difference between the EDF and the X45 version. Generally, the turbine version will be lighter than the EDF version.
Sep 16, 2019, 07:14 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Generally, the turbine version will be lighter than the EDF version.
Hm... I would estimate a GOOD conversion with X45 would be at EDF weight dry.
Sep 16, 2019, 07:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Apparently, 3D flying will void the Xicoy warranty, looks amazing, though!!
Which is odd because there are types of flying that to me would be much harder on the engine that are not 3D. For example in composite gliders, like the opus, or in fast deltas like a fun jet, sab tortuga, sky runner etc. The 3D flying I have seen lately is actually quite easy both on g-force and low speed. Hovering around isn't hard on the turbine like high speed, high G maneuvers. I know they are mindful of the gyroscopic forces on the engines rotating assembly.
Sep 16, 2019, 08:10 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom 3D
....like high speed, high G maneuvers. I know they are mindful of the gyroscopic forces on the engines rotating assembly.
Haha....

Sep 16, 2019, 08:43 AM
used to build now i fly
looks like an opus carbon to me...great fun go fast turn fast....................
Sep 16, 2019, 09:17 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefeet
looks like an opus carbon to me...great fun go fast turn fast....................
Look closer, speaking of engine warranty
Sep 16, 2019, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke
Haha....

Yeah, I hope Gaspar can clarify that about warranty, most casual 3D usually isn't that hard on engine like the crazy fast composite stuff. Just simply hovering around is "3D" but obviously not hard on engine. I won't make any plans for 3D on my X45's yet until I get more info about it from him. I will keep the easy 3D to my kolibri and big block engines
Sep 16, 2019, 09:53 AM
Offt some extra clearance there now Henke! !!.
Sep 16, 2019, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke
Look closer, speaking of engine warranty
Woah! I didn't notice it either, just a LITTLE bit of contact

Quick Reply