This thread is privately moderated by kallend, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 22, 2019, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
Flicker is easy if you have a spare channel and a Tx with a sequencer. Create flicker with the sequencer, mix with throttle, and use that channel to drive the afterburner controller.
You can do this same thing in the radio too if you want... but you sir are a brilliant thinker... good stuff!
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2019, 02:08 PM
What I noticed so far is that brushed ESC for airplane will light up the LED once throttle up, even just barely throttled up. Any way to light the LED after half throttle with airplane brushed ESC?

Just ordered some LED and car brushed ESC, thanks Kallend!
May 22, 2019, 02:13 PM
Fly as high as the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
Flicker is easy if you have a spare channel and a Tx with a sequencer. Create flicker with the sequencer, mix with throttle, and use that channel to drive the afterburner controller.
THAT sir, is a mighty good idea! I'd love to see that flicker programmed with the sequencer option, the only thing I managed so far was sequenced main landing gear on my dynam hurricane
May 22, 2019, 02:15 PM
Fly as high as the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33
You can do this same thing in the radio too if you want... but you sir are a brilliant thinker... good stuff!
Gooniac, I think Kallend meant the sequencer menu option in his spektrum tx
May 22, 2019, 02:23 PM
Fly as high as the sun
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/12-led-cluster-orange.html

That's not too different from the leds in an rcgeek centerburner

I have this in white version and it's unbelievable bright!
May 22, 2019, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus the 2nd
Gooniac, I think Kallend meant the sequencer menu option in his spektrum tx
OHHHHHHHHH!!!! I am going to check that out and see...

Quote:

That very well could be the cluster being used... looks the same!
May 22, 2019, 03:37 PM
Quote:

Have you checked its amp draw from UBEC power? Looks like we can directly Y this light with throttle, without brushed ESC.

P.S. According to one of the reviews, the estimated amp is 0.2 A?
May 23, 2019, 04:29 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303
What I noticed so far is that brushed ESC for airplane will light up the LED once throttle up, even just barely throttled up. Any way to light the LED after half throttle with airplane brushed ESC?

Just ordered some LED and car brushed ESC, thanks Kallend!
Yes, use brushed ESC for car, tank or boat that has zero output at mid stick, and add the diode as described to block it when in reverse. Then the light doesn't come on until throttle > 50%
May 23, 2019, 04:31 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Thread OP
I used a 1N4001 diode in my F-35. Works just as well as the Schottky, and I got 250 of them for $5 from Amazon. That should keep me in diodes for the rest of my life.
May 23, 2019, 04:34 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33
you sir are a brilliant thinker... good stuff!
Perhaps you can tell that to my wife.

(However, I do have a PhD in physics from Cambridge.)
May 24, 2019, 10:49 AM
Fly as high as the sun
Quote:
Have you checked its amp draw from UBEC power? Looks like we can directly Y this light with throttle, without brushed ESC.

P.S. According to one of the reviews, the estimated amp is 0.2 A?
Didn't measure it myself but a friend did and I believe he said it was under 0,3A
May 25, 2019, 12:38 PM

Test flight with full after burner

I got my first flight with my home made center burner. Mine is using a HobbyKing RC electronic switch to turn the burner off and on. The burner is using the full 6 cell voltage. The brightness was the same with only 11 volts but 24 volts is more convenient. I will post the 3D printed part on Thingiverse later today. It is mounted on the 6 cell stock 90mm out-runner Freewing fan in my F4 Phantom II. I drilled four holes in the stock fairing to assist with motor cooling. The 3D part is a tight fit in the original opening and the LED bulb is glued in with Zap Goo. The only modification to the LED bulb was to sand the sides of the bulb mount to reduce the width to the same as the round part of the bulb. The jet exhaust were lined with A/C metal duct tape with the peel and stick backing from the fan unit to the tail cones. Thanks to Kallend for the great ideas to get me started.
May 25, 2019, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettsmums
I got my first flight with my home made center burner. Mine is using a HobbyKing RC electronic switch to turn the burner off and on. The burner is using the full 6 cell voltage. The brightness was the same with only 11 volts but 24 volts is more convenient. I will post the 3D printed part on Thingiverse later today. It is mounted on the 6 cell stock 90mm out-runner Freewing fan in my F4 Phantom II. I drilled four holes in the stock fairing to assist with motor cooling. The 3D part is a tight fit in the original opening and the LED bulb is glued in with Zap Goo. The only modification to the LED bulb was to sand the sides of the bulb mount to reduce the width to the same as the round part of the bulb. The jet exhaust were lined with A/C metal duct tape with the peel and stick backing from the fan unit to the tail cones. Thanks to Kallend for the great ideas to get me started.
Looks great and amazingly realistic! Looks like you are using this type of LED, a little less wattage than Kallend's choice?

https://www.amazon.com/Antline-Yello...omotive&sr=1-8
May 25, 2019, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Looks great and amazingly realistic! Looks like you are using this type of LED, a little less wattage than Kallend's choice?

https://www.amazon.com/Antline-Yello...omotive&sr=1-8
I used the one the Kallend recommended. I did not cut it apart like he did. It also has a lens which focuses the four LEDs that face aft which might make the light brighter.
May 25, 2019, 01:49 PM
Fly as high as the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettsmums
Looking very good!!

Quick Reply