May 27, 2019, 10:03 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Well congrats Jim,
I'm sure you are on Cloud 9. It's very gratifying to see all those hours come to a successful conclusion.
And it has always been the plan to bring the SS to St. G. Going light this year, cramming what I can get in the truck and heading out, no trailer this year. So far it's the Me-263, A-1H, and SS. They should pretty well fill the back of the truck.

Rodger,
Hard to weaken the main spar when there isn't one. The sub spar carries loads across the gear cut out, sub spars will spread the load on the gear itself, and the foam/balsa skin will carry the rest. I'm not worried, it will be plenty strong, even if Nut puts his foot through the firewall.

Have the wing panels all trimmed and sanded on the ends. As I usually do, I had a few places that weren't quite compressed well enough. Used Titebond slipped into the cracks with a playing card ( aka Sparky) and taped them tight. Next up for the wings will be to install the tube and sockets and locator pins. While they are curing I need to draw up my horizontal and hot wire those panels. Then I should have all the airframe parts.

J
Latest blog entry: A2D Skyshark at 1/8th scale
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2019, 01:43 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
So got a good set of cores for the stab. I just used the cross section on the three view, enlarged it for the root and reduced for the tip.
They're ready to skin now.

J
May 27, 2019, 06:29 PM
Parkcityflier
J, light as it is, that is going to be an interesting load. Three new airplanes.

Jim
May 28, 2019, 03:18 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Jim,
Light load but it's the volume that fills it up.

Time consuming work today but making progress. Wing panels were all trimmed and sanded so I wanted to connect them to their respective inner sections.
Only got one done but the other will go faster. I'm out of plastic tubing that 5/16" dowel fits in snugly so I had to make my own by wrapping paper around it and soaking with ca. Determined the location of the socket & tube, jigged up the tube, heated and melted a hole in each panel the proper depth. This makes a nice loose fit for the FG socket and I used white GG to glue the socket in with both panels together and lined up correctly.
Once cured, slipped a saw in the seam and cut the socket apart. Checked the fit with the tube and located the locator pins. Used 5/16" dowel and my homemade sockets, glued one side at a time. Finally it was done. Now they need the ends capped and retaining pins.
Got a little anal and built a jig to get an accurate airfoil at the fuse location for my wing saddle. I want to cut the wing saddle out of the fuse.
And I need to get back on the fuse before I go much further with the wing. It still needs a tremendous amount of work.

J
May 28, 2019, 06:10 PM
Classic jets rule
nice work J great set up !
May 29, 2019, 03:21 AM
Just posting a video of when I was flying the Skyshark in Xplane10.

A2D (4 min 52 sec)

Also attached more information about the Skyshark.
May 29, 2019, 06:20 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901
Just posting a video of when I was flying the Skyshark in Xplane10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQMcfVELabI&t=4s

Also attached more information about the Skyshark.
Didn't know you had flown a Skyshark! Thanks for posting that and the article, was interesting reading another writer's view on the design.
But be careful watching that video, took me about 45 minutes. You Tube kept taking me down the CR rabbit hole with other videos and I got caught up.

Thanks Rodger,
It's a system that has worked great for me for many planes.

J
May 29, 2019, 08:44 AM
Classic jets rule
so I found out the one of the AD-2's that crashed from Edwards was about 30 miles away ,in Lake LA https://www.air-and-space.com/Dougla...20Skyshark.htm
the pics from Chino are how I saw it back in the day ...also note in the pic is the Northrop N9M(first pic ) as I saw it when they trailered it to Chino back in the late 80's or early 90's ..I had brent with me that day but I doubt he remembers it .
the last pics are of it restored as shown by Tony and miss E in their video.
click the link for some stories on this plane .
Last edited by AIR SALLY; May 29, 2019 at 08:53 AM.
May 29, 2019, 09:24 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks for the link Rodger.

I moved back to the fuse since the wing is now way ahead of the fuse. Made a template and marked the wing saddle on the fuse for later cutout.
Did more sanding finding my low spots. Had a rather bad one where I interpolated the extra former, thankfully it was too low and not high. About 1/8" of spackle required to fill that are on each side of the fuse.
I spackled the needed places and then moved it outside in the wind and expected 90F temps.
That makes spackle dry FAST! instead of waiting overnight like I have to during winter months.
While it's drying, I'll start on the other wing tube and socket.

J
May 29, 2019, 09:28 AM
Classic jets rule
looking good J ..it is a interesting looking plane , due to the high canopy and it's forward location ...it looks cool in the Game Vid that P901 did.kinda like a jet and a prop plane mixed in.
May 29, 2019, 09:32 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Rodger,
That first pic in your link shows the SS with a A-4 Scooter nose scabbed on. They later found a CR propeller unit in the Alameda junkyard and fitted it to the SS.

J
May 29, 2019, 12:02 PM
Classic jets rule
yeah I thought it was a spinner from a p-51 or something ...but yeah if you stare at it ,it is a early A-4 nose .....they had spread a few of these around ,before most were scraped. Lucky to have the one in San Diego. it was never flown . two of them crashed here one cost the life of a pilot ,the other was able to bail out ....I think gear boxes had to do with it .
any word from Wade on the C/R set up ? .....know him it will just show up in a box ready to fly .
May 29, 2019, 04:20 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Rodger,
I imagine one day I will walk to the mailbox and it will be there. No pressure, no hurry. In fact as soon as it gets here, I'll need to run some prop tests and that will slow down my building.

The spackle did dry on the fuse quickly today but I got busy with other things. Did get the other wing socket & tube in plus the locator pins. Capped the fist wing ends with 3/32" balsa. It's ready to sand and dress up the seam. I'll cap the other wing ends tomorrow. Then they are both ready for LEs. Elevator is ready for LE too. I can sand on the fuse while the LEs are drying.
I'll probably start skinning on the fuse tomorrow, I can do a lot of it before addressing the canopy area.

J
May 30, 2019, 10:31 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Sanded the caps down on the port wing, glued caps on the starboard wing.
Glued 3/8" balsa LE on port wing panels and stab panels.
I'm measuring this horizontal stab at 10 degrees dihedral per side. Seems like a lot but that's right off the 3 view.
The wing measures 7 degrees dihedral each side which equates to 4" at the wingtip so I guess the stab is close to
being correct. You can see the difference on the 3 view.
Have a little sanding to do to the fuse and I'll start skinning.

J
May 30, 2019, 12:48 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Well...... at least it's a start.

J

Quick Reply