Aug 27, 2019, 03:31 PM
Classic jets rule
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2019, 11:02 AM
John, I do have a question. looked back through this thread, and didn't see any thoughts on redundant systems for the Rx in case you lose main battery power. Maybe you don't do that, but I want to consider incorporating something in my bigger electrics in case the main battery or a connection fails. There are several backup devices on the market, but you can also add another battery just for Rx power. Any thoughts?
Aug 28, 2019, 11:50 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstormer_12
John, I do have a question. looked back through this thread, and didn't see any thoughts on redundant systems for the Rx in case you lose main battery power. Maybe you don't do that, but I want to consider incorporating something in my bigger electrics in case the main battery or a connection fails. There are several backup devices on the market, but you can also add another battery just for Rx power. Any thoughts?
Sorry, I looked back through the attachments and couldn't find a pic of the batts location with the dual rec batts. Plenty of pics of bugs and armadillos but no battery pics. I have a fail-safe type device that you plug two rec batts into, if one goes low it switches to the other. The SS has like my A-1, a 5 cell 5000 mah and a 5 cell 3300 mah rec batt in it. They could fly all day if the main batts would hold out.

J
Aug 29, 2019, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the quick answer John. With RX batteries that size I'd never be concerned about a brownout. Sorry I can't see Skyshark maiden at St. George. That's a long haul from Ohio. Maybe someday on my bucket list. Safe travels.
Aug 29, 2019, 01:14 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstormer_12
Thanks for the quick answer John. With RX batteries that size I'd never be concerned about a brownout. Sorry I can't see Skyshark maiden at St. George. That's a long haul from Ohio. Maybe someday on my bucket list. Safe travels.
I've always run huge rec batts, like a margin. I had to use both of these just for weight up front. It is a long haul fro Ohio ( and TN).
Gets tougher every year. I just have so many left in the tank though.

J
Aug 29, 2019, 01:31 PM
RV7guy

Wow!!!

That is interesting. Probably in 2013 I was flying medical helicopters for Air Evac in Buckeye. It was about this time of year and we had a big storm coming in from the south. I walked outside to a small porch at our facility to watch. I felt something on my right calf but didn't think anything about it. The next night we flew a patient into Phoenix and while helping unload the patient I bumped my right calf and it hurt like hell. When we got back to Buckeye I looked at it and I had a huge red bump about the size of a cherry on my calf.

The nurse was looking at it and was sort of squeezing the edges to check if it was hot. It broke open and was nasty. Didn't really think of a spider bite but he thought it might be. We slathered neosporin on it and covered it up.

I went to the doctor and confirmed it was a brown recluse bite. It healed fine without any necropsy. Only sign now is a small discoloration.

I was lucky compared to what you went through!!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
*WARNING* Ugly picture!! This was the result of my Brown Recluse bite in 2013. Took six weeks to heal cause they couldn't stitch it and it had to fill in and seal up itself otherwise I would have had a huge hole in my hand!
Sep 20, 2019, 10:04 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
THE A2D MAIDEN- sort of.
OK, maiden flight was short, story not so much so settle in. I'll try to cover everything.
Winds finally subsided at St. George and I wanted to get the maiden done before they came back up so this morning was perfect.
Unwrapped the SS from its packing and put it all together. Hooked up rec battery and lowered the gear and tested the systems. Seems we developed
a stripped servo on one flap on the way out. Other than that could find no other problems. But I was apprehensive of this maiden because she weighs
14 lbs and the rotating main gear might not be up to the job. Nut asked me whether I wanted to try w/o flaps and I thought why not, we have a long runway
and clear overruns.
So batts were loaded and the power checked out. Plenty of power but now it had developed a rubbing of the spinner baseplate, could smell burnt plywood.
I figured it would "wear in" while flying and decided we would go ahead with the flight. But it also had a vibration at high end throttle( don't forget that as you are reading this).
So Nut taxied out on the runway and started his takeoff run. She didn't want to track straight and he had to stop and start over. The starboard main has some play in it and can toe in and out sometimes( they are used gear). But he got her started straight, tail lifted, and she rotated off the runway impressively.
I was pretty pleased because it looked nice and balanced and that calmed my nerves about CG. After turning downwind things were going good when we heard a loud BANG! Not knowing what happened Nut chopped the throttle and immediately turned for the runway. Luckily he had enough altitude and speed to make it make to a very nice belly landing. Of course it was a belly landing of a 14 lb airplane on wing tanks that weigh 3.5 oz each. The wing tanks were damaged but that is about it. The cause of the loud bang? The handmade spinner EXPLODED! We found that it still had power and all was well with the controls. The plane could have continued the flight but Nut nor anyone else knew what had happened and he took the prudent course.
So what is needed now is a little more work, new flap servo, new main gear, and new 3D printed spinner. I'll work on that when I get home, have no desire to fly an injured bird which could lead to more problems. We'll get it right but will just take more time.
Here is a short video that Hans took of the flight.

A2 maiden flight crash (1 min 38 sec)

J
Sep 20, 2019, 10:55 PM
Great job Nut saving the Skyshark.

Now to get the plane ready for the re maiden. Safe trip back everyone.

Have a great time
Last edited by p901P901; Sep 21, 2019 at 12:27 AM.
Sep 20, 2019, 11:58 PM
They call me Lipo...

Douglas A2D-1 Skyshark - Maiden Flight...

Here's the maiden flight of John's beautiful A2D-1 Skyshark !
Douglas A2D-1 Skyshark - Maiden Flight and CRASH! St. George Utah, 2019 (6 min 11 sec)

Now, the flight did end with a belly-landing (as you've already seen), but now you'll see all the events leading up to it, and the fateful flight itself...

I'm sure John will have her all patched up and ready for SEFF in no time

Sep 21, 2019, 12:10 AM
When cows fly!
Wow! Made my heart almost stop!
Sep 21, 2019, 07:04 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Of course hindsight is 20-20. But the SS could actually have gone ahead and completed the flight. Power was still available just no spinner but we didn't know what had happened until it got close enough to see. And Nut didn't have time to deploy the gear since it takes 7 seconds with the sequencer. The tank repair is a piece of cake, or build new ones.
But too much for on site repairs so we'll take her home and get it ready for the next time. I think it will fly fine then.

J
Sep 21, 2019, 10:54 AM
What a great looking model when you see it on the field. Hadn't appreciated how big it is.

Climb out seemed really nice. Good job by Nut in keeping it out of the badlands.

Have fun!

Alec
Sep 21, 2019, 12:31 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Glad she's still in once piece ,great decision making and emergency landing by Nut.

Congrats on the maiden

Bart
Sep 21, 2019, 01:55 PM
Father by day, hacker by night
Congratulations on another beautiful bird Sorry for landing
Sep 21, 2019, 10:36 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks guys.
Like I said, there is very little damage. The wing tanks sacrificed themselves for the belly landing.
I can lay up a couple of tanks in two days, no problem. Only other thing is that she is missing a spinner. But that problem will be solved easily too. I do plan to replace the main gear as they were used on my previous A-1H and have developed excessive play in them.
I was very encouraged by the power and smooth climbout. I do believe it will fly very well next time.

J

Quick Reply