May 23, 2019, 12:02 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Wow!! Awesome project! I love the Skyshark…..a bucket list plane.

Here's a video I recorded on April 3, 2019:
Douglas A2D-1 Skyshark - Gillespie Field, CA (4 min 13 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2019, 06:14 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Great video Tony. Thanks, couple of things I noticed I can use but I'll rewatch it and sure I'll come up with more.

J
Latest blog entry: A2D Skyshark at 1/8th scale
May 23, 2019, 08:43 AM
Parkcityflier
I didn’t realize how big that thing was. Could have been a problem on an Essex class carrier

Jim
May 23, 2019, 10:29 AM
Pro Hoarder
She was a beast of a plane...
Latest blog entry: In flight
May 23, 2019, 10:44 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Jim, Scott
It was big! Here's a quote from Rear Adm Metzger

When Rear Adm. A. B. “Abie” Metzger, BuAer class desk officer for the A2D, inspected a mock-up of the aircraft in September 1947, he shook his head. “The Navy isn’t going to use a big monster like that as a fighter and it probably isn’t much good for attack, either,” said Metzger. The biggest problems with the Skyshark, Metzger later said, were:

1. the troubled T40 turboprop engine; and
2. the Navy’s reluctance to accept an aircraft so large and heavy.

J
May 23, 2019, 12:28 PM
Classic jets rule
nice vid guys .....man those props are huge !
John did you notice the cowl looked a bit faceted ..not really a smooth round shape.
that thing was a beast for sure ,Thanks for sharing that . you guys always go to the coolest places .
May 23, 2019, 12:41 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
shaping up nicely! definitely look for a prop with a lil more pitch on the back. hopefully you can make those gruapner props work!
May 23, 2019, 04:05 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
I did notice that Rodger. Looks like the lower half of the front is faceted but the upper portion is more rounded panels.

Nut,
Not sure what props will work best yet, guess we'll just have to experiment to see.

Have the fuse skinned. The first half with the keel and inner pieces of the formers still in there was 9.5 oz. Removed the keel and inner sections of the formers while I skinned the other side. Now with the skinning complete the weight has ballooned up to 12.5 oz.
I do have a few spots that will require a bit of filling, little starved horse effect going on with a couple of panels. But all in all, not too bad with only 5 formers to start with, I think it's pretty close to giving the correct shape.
It does need a lot of block sanding. I'll probably do that but not skin with balsa yet, would like to have the wing roughed out before I do. I'll start on the wing tomorrow.

J
May 23, 2019, 06:38 PM
Moving right along, looking good!
May 23, 2019, 07:14 PM
Scale Builder
VERY cool subject John. I have liked this airplane since I was a kid when I had opportunity to see it at Chino several times before it was restored. I remember purchasing a plastic model of it in the Planes of Fame gift shop when I was about 12 years old. My recollection of the airplane was that it had a much more faceted and angular canopy than what I see on your fuselage. I did some research and it turns out that there were two different canopy shapes. One like I remember (as seen in pics 1 and 4) and one that was much more rounded in appearance. Even on the latter though there is clearly a flattened area above the pilot's head as well as the front windscreen being totally flat. Probably bullet proof glass I would imagine. At any rate I apologize if you've already planned for this but thought I would point it out just in case. Can't wait to see the finished product, it's going to be spectacular!
May 23, 2019, 08:00 PM
Classic jets rule
Pics 1&4 it really looks like skyray canopy....as seen on the first two prototype skyrays
Last edited by AIR SALLY; May 23, 2019 at 11:22 PM.
May 24, 2019, 12:17 AM
Subscribed!

raipe
May 24, 2019, 05:48 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Mike, raipe

Chad,
Thanks for checking in, always appreciate your insight.
This isn't the final shape of the canopy. It's just roughed in. I'm thinking that with the light airframe and two motors up front that just maybe the main batts would have to go a bit more toward the CG than you would expect. So I was planning a hatch on top that goes from the firewall back to at least the aft portion of the glass canopy. The canopy portion of that will be vac formed so it will be redone while making the plug.
But after studying the book and other pics, I'm pretty sure that the protos had two different canopies, I guess the one the survivor has must have been the one they settled on. I did read some info on it in the book. Can't quite quote from it but it had something to do with avoiding heat buildup in a glass canopy vs plastic.
I think they used a glass canopy on the earlier ones which had all flat panes( due to the difficulty in forming curved glass) except the top which had a slight curve. I think that is where we are seeing that angular look. I need to do some further reading on it but from what I remember that makes some sense.
And thanks for mentioning it since I don't always relay everything I'm thinking or planning.

J
May 24, 2019, 09:07 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
So this doesn't look a lot different but it's almost 3/4 oz lighter. This is after about an hour of block sanding, one of the many hours of sanding I have to look forward to.
Just rough sanded, now I will give it a light coat of primer before sanding again with a smaller grit. This will show me better the low places that need some work before skinning with balsa.
I did realize that the two main "starved horse" panels I was a little worried about are actually in the wing saddle so they really shouldn't be a problem.
Now to lay out the wing.

J
May 24, 2019, 10:27 AM
Classic jets rule
Nice ...so you going to sheet with 1/16" balsa ,or ???

Quick Reply