Aug 18, 2019, 06:25 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
I just stumbled across this unique aircraft.

Well done!

Denny
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2019, 07:06 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Denny
Plan on getting her final balance done today.

J
Aug 19, 2019, 04:17 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
I finally got around to getting a final balance on the SS today. Paint certainly didn't help any. I knew it would need a little more weight up front. I decided to go with a CG at 28% of MAC. That should be a good start. It took an additional 4 oz of lead in the nose to balance. Didn't weigh it but I imagine it's about 14 lbs now. Heavy metal, getting more scale all the time.
Then got to setting the throws and that opened up another can of worms. My starboard flap is acting up again. Not sure what is wrong this time, I changed the servo before. So now I need to get in there and figure it out.

J
Aug 19, 2019, 10:01 PM
Once again you did an amazing job. Absolutely awesome ��
Aug 20, 2019, 08:35 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks deuce

Well, things went well this morning. Took the cover off the flap servo that was struggling. Found that the geometry as the pushrod moved caused it to lift up into the ply frame that secures the servo cover. Cut a small section of it out and all works well now.
Also found out that this deep blue shiny finish is a dust magnet!
But the SS is done and ready to load.
That means I need a new desktop image.

J
Aug 20, 2019, 10:56 AM
Pro Hoarder
O goody..I love Ju88..I have a part built kit on the shelf..What specs? I have all the canopy parts we could copy if the same scale...If you really want to be cool make it a Mistel
Latest blog entry: In flight
Aug 20, 2019, 11:40 AM
JU-88 !?!

The gear and doors always kept it off of my build list (actually I was leaning toward the JU-188 or JU-288.)

I assume you plan to simplify the gear/doors?
Aug 20, 2019, 11:46 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
O goody..I love Ju88..I have a part built kit on the shelf..What specs? I have all the canopy parts we could copy if the same scale...If you really want to be cool make it a Mistel

This is from Don Smith plans. It's 116" ws. I have the plans, FG cowls, top of the nacelles, gondola, and nose blister and canopy. I'll use the plans basically just for outlines, formers, airfoil, etc.
I also have Tom Jacoby's wood kit that I believe is around 50", hand launch.
My goal is to build a VERY light weight plane. All I have seen( wood built) are at minimum around 40+ lbs. I saw one that was around 40 lbs and then needed 14 lbs of lead shot in the nose to balance. Needless to say, I don't think it ever flew. I think 25-28 lbs is doable but we won't know until we build it.
Been collecting parts and just about have it all together. The 88 had TEN gear doors!!!!! Mine will have NONE!
Won't start until I get back from St. G. Meanwhile I have a serious job cleaning up my shop. Planning on a deep clean to get it ready for yet another big build.
Always like the 88 and am looking forward to this build.

J
Aug 20, 2019, 12:13 PM
Back to Boats

Ju-88

Well maybe I'll just throw mine away and watch John do it better!
Aug 20, 2019, 12:26 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
Ju88!!!!!!!! EPIC!
Aug 20, 2019, 12:50 PM
Pro Hoarder
116 inches..Yikes that is gong to be killer..I think mine is about 80 in
Latest blog entry: In flight
Aug 20, 2019, 01:29 PM
Parkcityflier
The JU-88, one of my favorites too. I have some plans around somewhere that I picked up around 50 years ago (I try not to throw plans away). I'm sure that I'll never build it so I'll be enjoying your build, J.
I thought that I might just call it quits after I finished my current project, the A-1, but I do have a likely new project already. not a single retract or gear door on it too.

Jim
Aug 20, 2019, 02:50 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Yes Pat,
I plan to simplify the gear doors substantially. There will be NONE! I've had it with gear doors for awhile. Until I take time to sit down and come up with a better plan than I have used on them so far, I'm done with them. Besides, the three most important things on this build will be LIGHT, LIGHT, and LIGHT. And I will have straight up retracts too, no rotating on this one. And it will be an A-1 model, circa Battle of Britain.

Jim,
Sounds interesting, no retracts. I have a couple of those on my list too( Fi-167 is one of them) if I ever find the time.

J
Aug 20, 2019, 04:50 PM
Ah-ha! You have been threatening us with this for ages. And just when we think it is about to happen, something in left field catches your attention.

What version and scheme are you thinking?

Alec

Aug 20, 2019, 05:45 PM
John, I noticed on this build you did a full foam core wing. I don't think I read a reason why you went down that path for this one. Was there a particular reason?

Regards,

Glenn.

Quick Reply