Jul 20, 2019, 04:46 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Not sure how much I'll get done the next couple of days. Lightning hit a tree about 20' from the house and fried my internet line that goes to the shop. I think it melted a Cat5e connector in the line( it's done it before). So I can't get internet in the shop until i fix that. Meanwhile, DISH broke off talks with Meredith Corp and dropped a channel off our package. Just one channel. Guess which channel is covering the British Open? Yep, that one channel. So I picked up Hulu but have to watch it in the house. A perfect storm for model building. So next couple of days might be a little sketchy.

J
Latest blog entry: A2D Skyshark at 1/8th scale
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2019, 07:57 AM
Parkcityflier
Sorry to hear about all that, J. It looks like the weather in your part of the country this summer has really been pretty bad. Hope that you're up and running pretty soon.

Jim
Jul 20, 2019, 02:42 PM
Hate to say this, John, but it sounds like you've been adopted by Murphy. Sorry for the grief.

Den
Jul 20, 2019, 03:02 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Jim,
New connector came in today, now I need to find time to change it. I don't have a crimping tool so use a plunge box that slices the insulation for a connection.
This happened before and I called the telephone co( our provider) and the guy they sent didn't have those kind of connections. They only use premade ethernet cords, he was useless.
I watched the Open for awhile inside but they have so many commercials it was driving me nuts. So I carried the Mac out to the shop and was surprised that I got a strong enough signal to stream. But you guys don't care about that. But it did allow me to get some much needed work done.
I marked the framing on the LMF and then cut it out, ready for primer. I do really like that stuff.
I had previously sanded the fuse to remove overspray and help the tape hold.
That allowed me to use 1/16" Chartpak tape for the canopy outline and then 1/64" tape for the panel lines. Once they were on ( and the third round of the Open was over) I took it outside and gave the lines 4 coats of filling primer. That should be enough to distinguish the lines. I didn't get all the lines exactly the same place on both sides but it doesn't matter. No plane has the exact same as there are different access panels all over the fuse.
Tomorrow I can wet sand while watching the Open. And weather is moving into Northern Ireland, 30 mph winds with rain so they are starting early, 0130!
Early to bed tonight!!!!
I do have a question for those out there. Any idea what this panel on the port side of the SS is? Thinking about adding it at this late date. Have a hi-res pic of it but RCG doesn't want to load it. Here's the best pic I could find from the book. It's that vertical strip above the exhaust, it's on the port side only.

J
Jul 20, 2019, 03:24 PM
Parkcityflier
Not having any direct knowledge of the SS but it could be for access to hook up the huffer for the air start of the turbines.

Jim
Jul 20, 2019, 03:59 PM
Looks like a vent for the electronics bay. The electrics bay is above the exhaust pipe, so this area can get hot along with heat from instruments.
Last edited by p901P901; Jul 20, 2019 at 04:36 PM.
Jul 20, 2019, 04:49 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
OK Phil,
That makes sense. I have that pic in the book but nerve even thought of looking at that.
And not all prototypes had it. So at this stage, I think I will act like I never saw it.

J
Jul 21, 2019, 07:08 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Really something nice to see how much ''life'' those panel lines add to the aircraft. Will have to try that someday.

Cheers,

Bart
Jul 21, 2019, 03:07 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Bart,
Well, here they are. I wet sanded both wings and fuse. Haven't pulled the panel line tape on the fuse yet. Started work on Chad's rivets. Have one wing outer panel done and just finished the hatch/cockpit area. Time consuming but once you get on a roll it goes pretty good and they look good.

J
Jul 21, 2019, 04:04 PM
Parkcityflier
This is where your builds really start looking beautiul. Those time consuming details are really worth the trouble.

Jim
Jul 21, 2019, 04:27 PM
You hit the nail in the head, Jim. That must be one of the reasons for the saying "The Devil is in the Details" because it is so much work, but so worth it.

Den
Jul 21, 2019, 06:39 PM
Classic jets rule
Man those screws look so real. A good reason to build bigger planes as these type of details really bring it to life.
Jul 22, 2019, 03:42 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Jim, Den

Rodger,
Another reason for bigger planes is that they are so much easier to "see" to work on when you get up in years.

Didn't have a whole lot of time today but did manage to get the other outer wing panel rivets on. So both of those are "paint ready".
Next I will probably wet sand the middle section and rivet it. Putting off the fuse as long as I can because it will take some serious time.
Besides, Chad is making me up some more rivets, I'm down to 1.5 sheets and that won't be enough. But Callie's decals came in so it's
all falling together.
About time I figured CG on this beast so I can set the equipment and figure what batts I'll be using.

J
Jul 23, 2019, 11:00 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Since I will be applying rivets for quite awhile, I thought I would show the process of Chad's product. Jim Spice sent me some samples several years ago and I was pretty impressed. The process is simple and easy to do. Very short learning curve too. Chad includes an instruction sheet and basically you just peel off one strip at a time. Then lay a strip of Magic Tape along the top seam of the rivets where the next silver strip is as this gives you proper spacing along the panel line. Instructions say to burnish down and then peel off the tape taking the rivets with it. I have a burnishing tool and have tried all of Chad's suggestions. But the best way for me is to simply take a thumbnail and drag firmly across each rivet. It works great for me. Every now and then one will still stick to the sheet, just carefully let the tape back down and press it again and it will release. Then align the tape along the panel line and rub down the rivets with a fingertip.
Peel the tape and you're done with that section. I don't get too aggressive with the length of strips, have found is just easier to do 6"-8" strips at a time.
Each sheet of this scale holds about 1650 rivets. The SS will require maybe 4-5 sheets since I'm only doing the top.
And Chad can make them in about any scale you want.

J
Jul 23, 2019, 11:26 AM
J....have you ever had issues with the magic tape peeling off your primer ??
Are the rivets metal ?

BTW the rivets look great.

Woody

Quick Reply