Jul 15, 2019, 04:56 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Jim,
Not big on aluminum finishes for my planes.

Ken,
Excellent point. The Brits had several designs late 40's, early 50's with CR turbo prop engines.
Surprised Allison didn't check with them. Pride get in the way?

J
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2019, 03:38 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Slow but still a bit of progress. I got the seat and ejection seat top vac formed ( sorry, no pics). Also the instrument hood, it still needs flat coat.
Plus the SS had these little inlets on the fuse side. I made a couple of balsa plugs for them, vac formed and then trimmed to shape. Cut the balsa skin out and glued them in.
And painting on the pilot. Even though simple it all takes time, plus I get easily distracted.
I'll be working on the fuse cosmetics while finishing up the cockpit.

J
Jul 15, 2019, 05:49 PM
Parkcityflier
J, those little "inlets" that you show that you have made look to me like hand holds that help in climbing up to the cockpit. The A-1 had them and they look the same. On the A-1 there was also a step just below the open cockpit area. It was at the bottom of a vertical black stripe coming down from the cockpit edge. It was a big help in getting in and out of the cockpit bur was hard to see when exiting so hence the black stripe. I wonder if the A2D had a similar step. Those little details really add a lot to your build. For my A-1 they will have to be down on my list and probably won't get done until later, after the plane flys.

Jim
Last edited by parkcityskier; Jul 15, 2019 at 05:55 PM.
Jul 15, 2019, 06:53 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
DUH
OK Jim, that makes sense of it now. Yes, there are in fact two steps above it with wide white lines that lead to them. Thanks for that info, I was wondering what they were for.

J
Jul 16, 2019, 06:30 AM
Classic jets rule
Yep "kick in " steps ....the FJ-1 Fury has them. I simulated then with aluminium tape. Nice detail with the vacuum forming.
Jul 16, 2019, 09:15 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
I didn't copy a pic of it but I found that the SS even had a handhold just behind the LE of the wing too, both sides.
I've decided to take a little different route on this cockpit. Should be done today. I'll post some pics later. I figure it will look
alright from about 2-3' away, closer inspection ??? But the important thing to me is it will be quick. We'll see.

J
Jul 16, 2019, 11:09 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
So I plagiarized a page from Dennis' playbook. Grabbed some screen shots off the web, printed and sized a bit and then just simply glued them into the cockpit areas. Not quite done, esp the pilot needs finished. The balsa frame for gluing the canopy will be covered by the canopy and then the framing painted on so it won't show and is left bare for good glue adhesion. It looks to me that once the canopy is on, it gives you a decent look and sort of blends into each other.
Let's face it, it just gives you something to look at instead of a big open space in there.
I think I'll move away from the cockpit to panel lines and cosmetics. That needs to be done before gluing on the canopy.

J
Jul 16, 2019, 11:30 AM
After looking back at some of the pics, It appears you have both steps AND inlet vents. FUN!

The main point here is that this thing is unmistakably a Skyshark!
Awesome!
I am so stoked to see it and see it fly!

I don't think anyone has ever done an rc Skyshark, have they?
I did see a cool small rubber powered one but no rc...

Looks great, John!
Latest blog entry: Raiders Wing from Scratch
Jul 16, 2019, 11:34 AM
Still Screamin'!
Yeah I don't think I have ever seen one either? Not in magazines or anywhere. Very cool subject.
Jul 16, 2019, 12:11 PM
Ken Stuhr
J-

Regarding the Brits and gearboxes, and all else, in the US av industry there was and has been a dominant sense of NIH. It faded some during WW2 for obvious reasons, but the two again diverged post. I would cite the Bristol Brabazon and the SARO Princess as examples of very successful powertrain execution, even tho the airplanes were not. These two even employed mating two separate engines to a single centerline thru OBLIQUELY angled shafts. Coincident centerlines would have been dead simple. I don't think there was ever a box-related failure in their short careers, which were about as long as the Skyshark.
Jul 16, 2019, 02:20 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Hey Scotty!
No, I've searched and can't find anything r/c on the SS. I did see that rubber model video though.
It's got 2 steps each side but they are "kick in" steps so I can just use vinyl to simulate them. Chad is making
nomenclature for it so that should draw your eyes instead of all my fake items.
Should be interesting on how it flies although it does have nice lines and I would expect it to do fine.

Thanks Bob,
It is pretty cool looking I think.

Ken,
Still odd to me that they couldn't swallow their pride a bit and get some help with the turboprops.

Working on panel lines, have the wing done but will wait to sand until after I apply some vinyl inspection panels for just a little more detail.

I originally decided to go 8s because the motor I selected for it does very well, strong on 8s. But with the weight at around 10 lbs I'm thinking
more along 6s -5000 single battery for it. Of course that all depends on how it will balance. If it needs weight up front then the 8s comes back in play.
Which reminds me, need to figure MAC on this wing so I can find the CG. All new territory here with just building from a 3 view.

J
Jul 16, 2019, 02:36 PM
Interesting history of the aircraft.
Last edited by CatManDu; Jul 16, 2019 at 08:04 PM.
Jul 16, 2019, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=J Morgan;42272013]I've been planning on running two receivers in this model. That way, mount the wing, plug in rec batt and then the main batt, you're ready to fly. No hooking up wires from wing to fuse etc. Real handy. So I got two Lemon 7 channel recs, tried binding them on the DX18. Only one would bind. OK, it could be a long story but to shorten it, I had one rec battery that was about dead. Charged it and both bound just fine.

John,
Iíve been following your builds for the last several months with great interest. Usually you explain things youíre doing so Iíve not been asking questions. But you mentioned a few days back that you were going to use 2 Lemon receivers so you didnít have to plug everything in. Could you explain the mechanics behind this? Do you need all the channels from both Rxs? Which channels do you plug into each Rx? Is this for redundancy? A friend tried to bind two Spectrum Rxs at the same time with no success. Thanks, great build going.
Jul 16, 2019, 04:04 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
OK, just tried to log in on my own thread for about 5 minutes. Have no idea why but RCG gets really cranky at times. Still, a little irritating.

barnstormer12,
I'm probably not the best person to ask since I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed on electronics. But having said that I can get the discussion started and some of the gurus can chime in and correct all that I say wrong.
I wanted two rec just so I don't have all those extensions hanging out of the fuse to hook up when the wing is mounted. It's more a convenient thing rather than necessary but it does save wiring too. The wing is using 4 channels. 1. Ailerons 2. Flaps 3. Retracts & doors( one one channel through a sequencer).
4. Power for rec
The fuse is using 5 channels. I. Elevators 2. Throttle. 3 Rudder and Tailwheel steering Y'ed in together. 4. Retract ( for tailwheel) 5. Power for other rec.
So if using a single rec mounted in the fuse( since it uses the most) you have three hookups from the wing. With two recs, all we have is a single connector for power running to the front from the wing rec since the rec in the fuse already has it's power connector installed.
So what I can do is turn the fuse over, put the wing on and screw it down. Then just hook up the power connections that go to both recs and hook up the main batt and we're good to go.
I have two Spektrum recs in my big SB2C Helldiver and they bound easily while applying power to both recs at the same time. I tried the same with my big
OV-10A Bronco, also Spektrum, and it would not bind using the DX18 but would with the DX7. Go figure.
I tried the DX18 with the two Lemon recs on this SS and had trouble initially but I think it was a low battery on one rec that caused it. Anyway, they are both working and "share" the gear channel since the tailwheel is in the fuse. Hope that explains it.

J
Jul 16, 2019, 05:15 PM
Classic jets rule
i think the cockpit ...er ah Crew station (PC) looks great ...I hate doing them like you hate doing Gear doors. although I had fun doing the cockpit and pilot on my fury . and your right it looks better than a big open spot with nothing in it .
it is a cool subject and never seen a R/C model of it . for years the one that now is restored in San Diego was parked at Chino ,so Brent and I saw it many times on our sat trips to the airport .
it really is cool to watch the build and to learn the history of these great planes that John builds .
hey John have you ever done a Grumman Avenger ? just watch a vid on it ...and how GM got to build them as Grumman was too busy building Hell Cats.

Quick Reply