May 20, 2019, 06:38 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Rodger,
I see that resemblance too with the canopies on the SS and Skyray.
Funny, I've built a couple of sliding motor trays my last few builds and that is exactly how the SS was built . The motors were on rails and slid out the
front for maintenance( which there was a LOT of). But on this one I'm leaning toward a big hatch in the overall canopy area.
I did get about half the first side skinned yesterday, slow going because of the golf tournament.

J
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2019, 08:23 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
man this is a crazy cool project!!!!!!!!! one for the books for sure!!!

its amazing because at first glance you think its just a modified A1...but really I doubt it shares much...maybe the landing gear. look at how thin the wing is compared to a A1!
May 20, 2019, 09:21 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
man this is a crazy cool project!!!!!!!!! one for the books for sure!!!

its amazing because at first glance you think its just a modified A1...but really I doubt it shares much...maybe the landing gear. look at how thin the wing is compared to a A1!
Yeah Nut, Ed Heinemann certainly still had the Spad in his thoughts while designing this one, hence "Son of Spad". You can see several similarities, vertical, LG, etc.
But it wound up being a really different aircraft. Too bad Allison couldn't get their bearing problems figured out in time to make it operational.
Would be interesting as it had more hard points than the A-1.

Finished over half of the port side, let it set up a little before turning around and working on the top section which has a couple of difficult places on it too.
Little concerned with the provided 3 view former for the vertical. Certainly looks to me that it is too thick, transition from there to the rudder will be really quick. I need to study some more pics to see what is going on there.
Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I might have forgotten to remove the skin thickness. Probably have to shave that off. Glad I caught it now instead of later.

J
May 20, 2019, 04:43 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Not a lot but some progress. Switched to fanfold for the top because it is SO easy to form, best I've ever found.

J
May 20, 2019, 04:49 PM
Classic jets rule
I wonder what that thing sounded like ? I bet there is little or no vid of it . nice work J for watching golf ...when we get move into our next house I get a bonus room for building ...need a TV in there so I can watch a few things that always has me on the recliner instead of working on planes.
May 20, 2019, 07:35 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
I've tried recliners Rodger. Doesn't work for me, nap time comes quickly in one of those.
As far as the sound it makes, I'll make sure Wade provides earplugs for everyone, think we're gonna need them.

J
May 20, 2019, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
Not a lot but some progress. Switched to fanfold for the top because it is SO easy to form, best I've ever found.

J
Not a lot of progress? Are you kidding!!?? I'm forever amazed at how fast you can churn out projects John. All I've managed is some hot glue repair post SEFF and here you are knee deep into another cool build. Just awesome. An inspiration. One of these days.....
May 21, 2019, 05:49 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase
Not a lot of progress? Are you kidding!!?? I'm forever amazed at how fast you can churn out projects John. All I've managed is some hot glue repair post SEFF and here you are knee deep into another cool build. Just awesome. An inspiration. One of these days.....
Thanks Jim,
I have the same problem, motivation after a fly-in. Guess I just expect a little more since I did little else yesterday afternoon.

J
May 21, 2019, 06:51 AM
The Convair XFY-1 also used the Allison T40 engine.

Declassified 1955 Willys Jeep APU footage - Convair XFY-1 Pogo (7 min 18 sec)

At 2:40 is the sound of the props.
May 21, 2019, 07:49 AM
Parkcityflier
It was noisy for sure. From a Naval Aviator's viewpoint of the whole concept of that airplane, though, I can't ever imagine trying to land that thing on a pitching deck of a freighter. What were they thinking?

Jim
May 21, 2019, 09:17 AM
About the transition in the rudder area. You could tack glue a solid chunk of foam and shape it based on photos. Then pop it off to hollow it. I had to that in a couple places on my P-61 fuselage.
May 21, 2019, 10:34 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
That Convair had to be noisy for sure but nothing topped this., the F-84H Thunderstreak. Can you imagine?

The Republic F-84H Thunderstreak - Propeller variant (3 min 41 sec)

Pat,
That would work too of course. I did a bunch of measuring on the 3 view and used my TLAR method. It's all worked out now.
Just a few pieces left on the port side.

J
May 21, 2019, 11:33 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
i heard the xf84 made people on the ground throw up..and they had to do engine runs far away from the base out on the lakebed
May 21, 2019, 01:26 PM
Classic jets rule
I think a high speed pass of the Ss would sound awesome based on the XFY-1 sound from hover to fwd flight......kinda sounded like a B-36 with the pusher props.
fuse looks great
May 21, 2019, 01:26 PM
Mike
I love following these builds of yours J. Every time you do one, I learn something else I can use in what I build. One of these days I am going to have to due a large build like yours. Just not sure what it will be. May have to stop over at the Dayton AF Museum for some ideas. Looking forward to following this build as well!

Mike
Last edited by i12flyrc; May 23, 2019 at 09:19 AM.

Quick Reply