Jul 10, 2019, 05:49 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Rodger,
It is getting closer.

Jim,
I may finish more than you do but remember, you have a life.

J
Latest blog entry: A2D Skyshark at 1/8th scale
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2019, 11:18 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Attacked the wiring in the middle section this morning. This can be a nightmare but I think I have it under control. I soldered the two gear door servos wires together each side and then ran them to the middle. Those two wires will be soldered together to make one plug in for the sequencer. The retract servos likewise will be joined the same way. I did put a servo extension in the retracts so I can hopefully just unplug and change out a retract if needed. Then there are the aileron extensions ( will be soldered together at the middle) and the flap extensions treated the same. So not done yet but getting closer. I'll use E6000 (mentioned in Jim's thread) to glue the wiring down against the bottom of the wheel well.
After the wiring is done I'll glue the flap hinges in and install those servo hookups.

J
Jul 10, 2019, 04:52 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
I've been planning on running two receivers in this model. That way, mount the wing, plug in rec batt and then the main batt, you're ready to fly. No hooking up wires from wing to fuse etc. Real handy. So I got two Lemon 7 channel recs, tried binding them on the DX18. Only one would bind. OK, it could be a long story but to shorten it, I had one rec battery that was about dead. Charged it and both bound just fine.
Now the gear doors. I swear, if those gear doors look at me cross-eyed one more time, I'm ripping them off! Like Ken said, they work fine upside down and then you turn it right side up. I hooked up the sequencer, it wasn't working right until I moved the Type 1 and Type 2 thingys on the end. The doors were letting the gear go down and then closing while gear down. But that's fixed. However, the inner gear doors on each side would not close all the way. Fiddled around with them until I found that the servo arms when closing were running into my new wiring. Moved the wires and they closed. BUT, and it's a big BUT, the door servos are clucking constantly while at rest. It's not one, all of them are clucking, not a chatter, just making intermittent noise. Using 9 gram servos, two are the HXT900s and i know they are fine with 5 cells rec batts. But the other two are not, one is a Hitec H-55, the other not even sure,
So I charged up the only 4 cell rec batt I own and tried it. The clucking went away. I've seen this before with small servos, don't like 5 cells. So I either have to change the other two servos ( and I'm really NOT wanting to do that) or order a new 4 cell rec battery. I one I have is an old JR nicad and I don't trust it, maybe some memory problems there.
I'd rather drink my own bath water than change those servos out.
So with all these problems, that's as far as I got today. I guess I made some progress. It's Miller Time now, rest up for tomorrow.

J
Jul 11, 2019, 08:52 AM
Parkcityflier
“It’s times like this that try men’s souls”

Jim
Jul 11, 2019, 09:54 AM
You could use a diode in the + wire from the battery to drop the voltage of your 5 cell pack.
Jul 11, 2019, 10:32 AM
Pro Hoarder
Hey John
I have a couple of small Eneloop aaa 4 cell pacs you can have if you want them. they hold a charge for a long time..very nice batteries for receivers if you can use 4.8v
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jul 11, 2019, 11:34 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
No kidding Jim. Well, at least I can feel good about the fact that I can pull these doors off and run just like my A-1.
I have them working but now of course they have a slight buzz at times when closed. I've adjusted until I'm blue in the face and can't find a sweet spot for them.
So I'm done with them for now.

If you say so Pat! I wouldn't even trust myself to mess with that but thanks for the idea.

Scott,
Thanks for the gracious offer but I just ordered one off ebay, be here Monday. The JR 1100 Nicad I've had for years went dead overnight but charged up.
Still, no way I would trust it. It will hit the dumpster as soon as the new one gets here.

I've moved on. Soldered up the wiring for the elevator servos and then glued all the control surfaces in except for the flaps. Hope to get to them this afternoon, and glue the stab in place. Then maybe gets some pics of it together.

J
Jul 11, 2019, 03:49 PM
The trials and tribulations are what makes this hobby so enjoyable.
Jul 11, 2019, 04:47 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDu
The trials and tribulations are what makes this hobby so enjoyable.
Yeah, right.

OK, got the flaps in and working although I haven't glued down the servo bases yet. Do that in the morning. Only getting about 25 degrees full flaps so I may need to change arms.
Have the stab glued in but not finished on the bottom yet. Still need to install the aileron and elevator servos. The wire hanging out the back is the y-harness that runs from the elev to the rec on the wing.
No motor on it, just taped the spinner on. We're starting to get there.
I forgot to turn on the back overhead lights so sorry for the poor pics.
As you see it here, it weighs 7.25 lbs. So I'm pretty confident that we can come in around 10 lbs or so. And that is a 76" wingspan.

J
Jul 11, 2019, 04:52 PM
Still Screamin'!
Hey look! It's a Skyshark!
Jul 12, 2019, 12:58 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Great work John! you've captured the odd shape of the skyshark very good

Bart
Jul 12, 2019, 08:55 AM
Amazing! I get emotional when I see the creation of a great aircraft.
Håvard
Jul 12, 2019, 09:37 AM
Parkcityflier
I love it and those doors look really nice. I hope that they will work well enough that you will be able to leave them on.

Jim
Jul 12, 2019, 09:58 AM
EB-66C Team Member
WOW!!! Skyshark looks SWEET!!

Amazing build, as always, J! I hope to see it at St. George.
Jul 12, 2019, 10:14 AM
Very nice!

Quick Reply