Jun 23, 2019, 06:18 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Hi John,

Those retracts are what is used in the FMS line of foamy warbirds for tailwheels.
I've had good service buying from RC Castle in Hong Kong but there are options in the States also.

https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...roduct_id=1912
and the smaller one...
https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...product_id=458

Cheers,
Shane.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2019, 06:48 PM
Parkcityflier
J, I just used a small rotating retract, I got rid of the small pin that normally makes it rotate for retraction and then put a small steering bell crank on it for steering. I use a pull/pull setup on it so when it retracts toward the nose of the airplane the two steering cables go slack and then when the wheel comes down they are tight again for steering. this setup only works for a forward retracting unit like on the A-1 and is sorta complicated I know but if you can't find anything else this will work.

Jim
Jun 23, 2019, 08:04 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Shane,
EXACTLY! Thanks so much, I'll get some ordered. Sort of embarrassing, that's where I ordered my last set or retracts but never saw those on there.
Much appreciated!

Jim,
I've done that too but with nose steering, works well and could go that direction but these are just so handy and do hold up well.

J
Latest blog entry: A2D Skyshark at 1/8th scale
Jun 23, 2019, 11:06 PM
Parkcityflier
To tell you the truth, if I hadn't already had a few of the little rotating retracts in my drawer I would have gone with the ready made ones too. I'm glad that you found a source for them.

Jim
Jun 24, 2019, 10:47 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks again Shane. Ordered a half dozen on them this morning.

Still working on filling weave and primer, picked up some more primer this morning. Itching to get back to the fuse but need this stuff done first.

J
Jun 24, 2019, 10:48 AM
Classic jets rule
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
Yep, I've done that too in the past but sometimes have some problems with the paint pulling away or whatever. Think it wound up to be what
kind of paint I was using. Can't remember which worked best so I just go w/o now. I mean, how long does it take to wipe it clean and spray primer
on it?

J
I use the purple pva from Partall ...I wipe it on the mold with a old T shirt rags (a tip from "Pdawg")@ 4"x 4" folded up to @2"x2" once it is good and dry I just use "one touch " grey primer from "auto zone" and never had any issues . but I have had that happen with other pva's and wax's so I know what your talking about . I have had duplacolor Primer shrink too much when it dries and pulls the pva loose. so I guess it makes a difference what paint ,pva,wax is used .
I get those tail wheels from "Motion R/C" I find a war bird and add to cart from the spare parts list.
Jun 24, 2019, 08:23 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Rodger,
It may have been Duplicolor that I had trouble with, can't remember.
I pay so little attention to the new foam warbirds coming out that I didn't realize how many spare parts from them could be used in my birds. Nice to know and I'm sure I will take advantage of that in the future.

J
Jun 25, 2019, 10:41 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Nothing much exciting going on here. But am progressing. Still working on filling and getting primer on. I did get the middle section of the wing fully glassed so the majority of the glass work is done. I also glassed the interior of the firewall for strength.
I don't want to have to take the wing off to get to the batts so planning on a large hatch on top. To get it ready to cut out, I filled the weave around it and once it is in primer I can start on it.

J
Jun 25, 2019, 11:15 AM
Still Screamin'!
The front of the fuse looks like a Huckbein
Jun 25, 2019, 05:54 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
Thanks again Shane. Ordered a half dozen on them this morning.

Still working on filling weave and primer, picked up some more primer this morning. Itching to get back to the fuse but need this stuff done first.

J
No Worries J!

S.
Jun 25, 2019, 09:07 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
Man...making awesome progress! Such a neat model...definately looking forward to seeing this one!
Jun 26, 2019, 10:18 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
Man...making awesome progress! Such a neat model...definately looking forward to seeing this one!
Thanks Nut,
But not sure you've been keeping up here so I will reiterate that we're back to Plan A which was single three blade on 8s. Wade developed lathe problems and we decided to shelve the CR props because he has a bunch of work to get ready for St. G. Suits me, I think it will scoot on 8s.

I got the hatch area primered and then taped the balsa canopy plug back on to help with the stress of cutting out the hatch. Used a fine blade Zona saw.
Hatch is free, there is a ton of room to get to the batts.
It will be secured with pins at the front and two latches at the rear.

J
Jun 26, 2019, 03:23 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Doing anything to keep from sanding to let my hand heal up a bit. At least we have a hatch for it. Two latches and two pins in front. It shouldn't be going anywhere and LOTS or room for batts. Cockpit will be built in the hatch too.

J
Jun 26, 2019, 04:30 PM
Still Screamin'!
Very clean John!!
Jun 26, 2019, 04:31 PM
Still Screamin'!
The real plane had raggedy panel lines Nowhere's near as nice as yours LOL!

Quick Reply