May 18, 2019, 07:07 PM
Deleted
Last edited by p901P901; May 18, 2019 at 10:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2019, 07:29 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901
Those are some big spinners. DAnG to find someone to print some. Know anyone?
Yeah but he has so many irons in the fire and has bent over backward helping me before, just can't do that to him.
I think I can work it out with the limited skills I have. No way I would trust myself to build something like you did.
If I did the AMA would probably cancel everyone's insurance.

Didn't get a lot done today. Made the keel and started on the few formers I got off the 3 view. Will need to interpolate some in between
the others.

J
May 18, 2019, 08:00 PM
Pro Hoarder
HI John, That is the book I have...I wish I had taken photos of the full scale when it was at Chino..It sat there for along time
Latest blog entry: In flight
May 19, 2019, 02:05 AM
Classic jets rule
Yep th hats where i saw it.....wonder where i tv ended up at.
May 19, 2019, 06:09 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
I know where it was on July 11, 2014. San Diego Air and Space Museum, Gillespie Field. That should be you guys' neck of the woods unless it's moved.

J
May 19, 2019, 09:10 AM
Parkcityflier
it's almost kind of an ugly duckling look to it when its on the ground but beautiful in the air. Here's a question for you. Does anyone know if it was designed with an ejection seat? The A-1 didn't have one and the A-2 was of the same era so I just wondered.

Jim
May 19, 2019, 10:04 AM
Brave choice to build the Skyshark John! It's a super eclectic aircraft and full of many challenges. None of which are too big for you to overcome. We have all seen you navigate obstacles in the past, and are anticipating how you will clear the hurdles on this build. Those props and spinners are probably the biggest, but not insurmountable.
I have been looking at photos of the Skyshark this morning, and found several good pics showing good detail of the nose. A lot of small detail items, I know you love to reproduce. Vents, steps, placards, canopy release handle etc. ( once you open pics, double click to enlarge )

Another area that caught my attention is the very thin airfoil profile. I know you build " semi scale" replicas and may not use a totally scale airfoil, but seeing that the A2D's airfoil is only 12% thick, it doesn't leave much room for the retract mechanism, especially one located at the leading edge of the wing. (In the photos it seems that most of the retracting mechanism is in the pod under the wing).

Also, I really like the exhaust staining in the black and white photo. That will look great on your model!

Good luck with your "lightning" progress on this build and will be waiting with anticipation each day to see your advances. You are making it too easy to find a reason to get to St. George this September! Brad
May 19, 2019, 10:06 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier
it's almost kind of an ugly duckling look to it when its on the ground but beautiful in the air. Here's a question for you. Does anyone know if it was designed with an ejection seat? The A-1 didn't have one and the A-2 was of the same era so I just wondered.

Jim
JIm,
Quoting from the book:
" powder cartridge operated upward ejection seat was provided. Douglas engineers indicated they would have preferred to
use the lightweight, downward, gravity drop, bail out chute used in the Skyknight. But the engine directly below the cockpit
precluded this."

Wouldn't be much fun using a gravity drop out on a bad cat launch.

I must still have SEFF LAG, having a hard time getting a good start and flow to this build. But I do have a start. Keel is laid down and a few formers that I got from the 3 view. Looks like I only need to interpolate one extra former, mid fuse in between the 3rd and 4th formers you see here.
Doing this about the same as the A-1H, but only partially cutting the inside of the formers out so they can give a bit more strength while
I'm skinning. Then just need to cut a small slice to remove the inside portion. 90% of what you see here will wind up in the trash can.

J
May 19, 2019, 10:23 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalgra
Brave choice to build the Skyshark John! It's a super eclectic aircraft and full of many challenges. None of which are too big for you to overcome. We have all seen you navigate obstacles in the past, and are anticipating how you will clear the hurdles on this build. Those props and spinners are probably the biggest, but not insurmountable.
I have been looking at photos of the Skyshark this morning, and found several good pics showing good detail of the nose. A lot of small detail items, I know you love to reproduce. Vents, steps, placards, canopy release handle etc. ( once you open pics, double click to enlarge )

Another area that caught my attention is the very thin airfoil profile. I know you build " semi scale" replicas and may not use a totally scale airfoil, but seeing that the A2D's airfoil is only 12% thick, it doesn't leave much room for the retract mechanism, especially one located at the leading edge of the wing. (In the photos it seems that most of the retracting mechanism is in the pod under the wing).

Also, I really like the exhaust staining in the black and white photo. That will look great on your model!

Good luck with your "lightning" progress on this build and will be waiting with anticipation each day to see your advances. You are making it too easy to find a reason to get to St. George this September! Brad
Hey Brad,
Thanks for the pics! Yep, lots of different things going on with this one, but we love a challenge, right? I'us your pics and the excellent walkaround from RCSB which has a ton of pics.
The gear is sort of the same as the A-1H but yet different. As you say, the airfoil is thin and I traced the one off the 3 view but who knows how accurate it is.
I imagine I will do what I usually do and draw up a homemade sort modified Clark Y just thick enough to allow retract installation. The SS had gear doors like the A-1 too but still on the fence as to if I want to even bother. And you do need to get back to St. G, going to be a fun time.

J
May 19, 2019, 12:08 PM
Looks like a very cool build! Have no doubt the spinners will come out great. Looking forward to seeing the solution for motors. The tricky area in my mind ( for a thru shaft design) is supporting the forward bell on aft (thru) shaft
Always enjoy watching the guys who can just machine whatever they need come up with solutions
May 19, 2019, 12:42 PM
Always plenty of fun and drama in St. George! (aka, Brent's Talon ejecting its' batteries)

On my calendar already. Hoping work won't rear its' ugly head.
May 19, 2019, 02:36 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Yes Mike,
That whole CR motor thing is way beyond any metal working skills I have. That's why it's good that Wade is doing it. I'll just sit back and .

Brad,
The battery ejection system on Brent's T-38 is mighty efficient! That was a classic and a never forget moment.
If work gets in the way, in this economy you could always quit and find another.

I have made the jump to start skinning. Going a little slow but need to be deliberate with it to retain the correct shape. The nose section is the hardest
and I'm approaching it like a planking job on the bottom part.

J
May 19, 2019, 02:37 PM
Parkcityflier
J, having an ejection seat on the SS made me feel a lot better about the designer's concern for a pilot. Trying to bail out of this one would have been a big challenge. It was hard enough to do it out of the A-1 although I did watch my XO (executive officer) bail out of one when his wing was on fire in Nam. Another story that I might pass on to you in St. G.

Jim
May 19, 2019, 03:23 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Jim,
Not sure I would want to even get in one w/o an ejection seat. Amazing how well the pilots did in WW II escaping crippled aircraft.
Looking forward to that story too!

J
May 19, 2019, 09:11 PM
Classic jets rule
The one plus is the nose is short, so two motors will help with CG
Canopy kinda reminds me of the skyray's

Quick Reply