Jun 13, 2019, 05:55 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Cut the stab in. Set the wing at 1.5 degrees positive and used the stab template to set it at 0 degrees. Marked the outline and cut out the port side. Then used a line level on a sharpened wire to poke through the other side to find the LE on that side. Put the template on it, marked it, and then cut out the stab location.
Fit it and it still needs a bit of leveling and squaring up. But the tough work is done on it.

J
Latest blog entry: A2D Skyshark at 1/8th scale
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2019, 10:00 PM
Parkcityflier
Seems like the A2D is a more complicated build than the A-1 was but of course you had already built a few of the A-1s before. The A2D is going to be a real attention getter too. I don't ever have seen a flying model of one.

Jim
Jun 14, 2019, 08:47 AM
Skill Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
Cut the stab in. Set the wing at 1.5 degrees positive and used the stab template to set it at 0 degrees. Marked the outline and cut out the port side. Then used a line level on a sharpened wire to poke through the other side to find the LE on that side. Put the template on it, marked it, and then cut out the stab location.
Fit it and it still needs a bit of leveling and squaring up. But the tough work is done on it.

J
A quick question on the leveling - how did you check for level on the thrust line to set the fuselage correctly on the brackets? Or is that not terribly important as long as the wing 1.5 was set first, followed by the stab at 0 so the horizontal surfaces were aligned correctly to each other - and then the final motor thrust line gets set in relation to the elevator later (being the reliable 0 in the system)?

Thanks!
Jun 14, 2019, 10:28 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
That's a good question Rocky. I looked at those pics after I posted them and they looked odd to me. The pics look like the fuse is nosed down but it has to be the camera or how I was holding it. I set the fuse level when I cut the wing saddle in( at 1.5 degrees positive) and then once mounted I put the incidence meter on it , maneuvered on the stand to get the 1.5 degrees positive on the wing. I did this so I could make sure the stab was level at 0. On the thrust line I would want to set 1 or 2 degrees down and right on a tractor. Of course a CR wouldn't need that.

Here's a better pic that probably shows the plane's fuse/wing attitude better.

Marked and cut the elevators out. Proceeded to cap them. After I get them shaped I can go to glassing before mounting.

J
Jun 14, 2019, 11:04 AM
John

I understand why a CR may not need right thrust, but why not down thrust?

Tom K
Jun 14, 2019, 11:09 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Good point there too Tom. I clearly didn't think that through enough before responding. I'm in elevator mode right now.
Some down thrust is always good but I do like to keep it at a minimum just for the look. I've seen a lot of planes that certainly need it
but at the same time look a bit comical and if it has a spinner that just seems to magnify the look.

J
Jun 14, 2019, 11:14 AM
Low wing airplanes often don't need any down thrust. The thrust line is often above the vertical CG.
Jun 14, 2019, 01:16 PM
True, I forget that pattern planes are setup at 0-0-0.

Tom K
Jun 14, 2019, 02:14 PM
Parkcityflier
Just a note on how the 1/1 scale A-1 flew: it always flew with a little nose down. It improved the forward visibility in flight but I don't know if it was intentional or just the way it came out. I wonder if the the A2D had this characteristic too, although it looks like the forward visibility was already pretty good. I guess it really depends on how the wing/stab are set up so it might be interesting to see if your A2D has the nose down characteristic based on the settings that you are using.

I know. Kind of a dumb question but I was out in the sun doing yard work this morning!

Jim
Jun 14, 2019, 03:47 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Jim,
I knew you had mentioned that before about the nose down attitude. I don't think my Spad flew like that but I do know that it looked great in the air.
I like to set my planes up for level flight. I know the B-52 flies that way too but just doesn't look right to me.

No boring pics but I have the stab and elevators all capped and shaped. A little filler was required in some cracks, blemishes. Will be ready for a good sanding down prior to glassing.

J
Jun 15, 2019, 07:56 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
OK, back to Plan A. Wade has incurred some lathe problems working on the CR motors. Plus, he has a lot on his own plate getting his project ready for St. George and I for sure do not want to hinder that in any way. We talked it over and decided to shelve this whole CR project until a later date. So it's back to Plan A which I stated in post #4, and I quote:

" I had made my mind up that I would keep it simple. Very light and forget about CR props, just run a decent sized 3 blade prop. It would have the look of a Skyshark and probably fly very well."

So I'm going with a single 16x12x3 Graupner Sonic prop, will use a Turnigy 5055-320kv motor on 8s, should make it a pretty speedy ship. Plus, it will be so much simpler, the build will be w/o problems, the spinner will be straight forward. In my mind, a win-win as this what was I had planned all along. Keep in mind, I do love the KISS principle, especially when you commit a creation to the air.
I suppose if we ever get around to it, switching over to CR wouldn't be that hard other than the complicated spinner.
Believe me, I am not going to miss building that spinner.
This will speed things up for me too as I have another little project that I would like to attempt before St. George if I have the time.
But not much happening today as we have family coming in for the weekend.

J
Jun 15, 2019, 12:12 PM
I don't do Normal
have to do what you have to do J
looking good
Jun 16, 2019, 06:44 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky_d_brain
have to do what you have to do J
looking good
Right Pinky, we works with what we got. Plus I think I'm developing arthritis in my right hand and it's making building a lot tougher and sometimes painful.
I weighed the fuse, wing, and stab yesterday, total is just short of 70 oz. So hopefully can keep the weight in the 10-11 lb AUW range.
Family is leaving this morning and hopefully I can get some more work done on the SS.

J
Jun 16, 2019, 04:45 PM
Looks great, J. We just came from Santa Monica. Was that where the Spad was built? Thanks,

Randy
Jun 16, 2019, 05:27 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Randy,
I'm not too familiar with So Cal but the Spads were built at their El Segundo plant.

Got a little work done on the SS today. Wanted to finally cut out the intakes in front but those middle members are just asking for you to break them.
So before cutting them out I drilled a hole in the firewall and glued in 1/" bamboo sticks to reinforce them.
Then decided to try some foam on that funky little sweep on the LE at the fuse. Shaped with sandpaper first and then glued in on so I can shape it.
That's still is a work in progress.
Glued the 1/64" ply gap covers over the flap LE.
I did also get the servo mounts glued in for the ailerons and flaps. No pics of those though. Outer wing panels are ready for sanding before glass.

J

Quick Reply