Jun 15, 2019, 09:16 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Bob,

I think I've got it. Part of the problem was that I couldn't get ANY screw to thread into the collars. So I used a tap to chase the threads, and looks like we are good.

Thanks again
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2019, 04:33 PM
Thread OP
The KMB supplied ball joints were too long, so I fab'd some shorter ones from spade electrical connectors. Don't look very fancy, and I 'prolly got more throw than I can use.

Next - get the servo mounted.
Jun 27, 2019, 04:56 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Dave - electrical terminals are silver plated soft copper-bend it 3x and it'll break-KMB instructions say to use the plastic tube for steering and the wire for reverse-with the yellow plastic tube you can screw in the supplied 2-56 threaded rod and then screw on the short ball ends-the should be definitely enough room for the ball ends(the kit gave you 2 longs and two shorts)-the plastic tube allows for the short bend radius -the wire is stiffer(by chance are you working without the KMB instructions?-I could post them if needed..)
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Jun 29, 2019, 03:16 PM
Thread OP
Bob, In using the short ball joint ends, it didn't look to me that I would have enough "throw" on the nozzle, so I used the electrical connectors, and drilled a small hole in them, so they can pivot, and swing the nozzle. I'm not twisting them or bending them. Even using the short ball joints and the furnished thread in connectors, I didn't see how there is enough clearance between the steering nozzle and the stern of the boat. I used the gray tubes as a guide for the cables, and the threaded connectors would not fit inside the gray tubes. Below is a copy of the only instructions I got - Don't know if will be view able. The parts at the bottom are what I've got left. I must have screwed up, if the screw in connectors were supposed to be used to connect to the nozzle.
Jun 29, 2019, 03:58 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
If it works, you didn't screw up, you just did it different...if you took the unit and steered it all the way to one side-I'd bet if you held one of those short rod ends inline with the screw in the nozzle, there would be enough room for it to the transom . The instructions say "Achtung: short ball connectors to the jet steering nozz-le" right across the top

The other instructions for the drive says plastic rod for the steering and wire cable for the reverse

You must have used the short rod ends for something else if you have two long ones left over..?
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Jun 29, 2019 at 04:06 PM.
Jun 29, 2019, 07:22 PM
Thread OP
So are the brass (?) threaded parts supposed to to thread into the little ball joints, solder cables to them, and then through the stern to the white "T" device for the steering? And not use the gray tubes?

If my way fails, I can always fall back to the OEM set up.

Thanks for your help & advise.
Jul 09, 2019, 03:06 PM
Thread OP

mounting ESC

I've got the servo bracket & servo mounted.

I need suggestions, hints, etc. on how to mount the ESC. I am assuming I do not want to just glue the ESC to the bottom of the boat. Possibly use a piece of wood, aluminium or ? glued or glassed to the bottom of the boat and fasten the ESC to that? The ESC probably should the be mounted "cross ways" and not inline with the motor? I did cut a little piece of metal for possible use as somewhat of a heat sync - don't know if it is necessary.

Thanks for your help.
Jul 09, 2019, 04:53 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
I mounted mine on the side of the hull-Made a wood raised mount and RTV'd it to the fiberglass so I could run a zip tie around the ESC and thru the wood mount..
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Jul 09, 2019 at 08:38 PM.
Jul 10, 2019, 11:30 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Bob, I appreciate your help.
Jul 13, 2019, 01:11 PM

KMB Water Cooling Tap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundogz
No, Bob - they are drag inducing - period. The water coming out of them has been slowed down by resistance in the lines. Thru-hull pickups are unnecessary in a jet driven boat and IMO those you have are just looking to be torn off the first time you run over (anything). The beauty of a jet drive is that it make it's own pressurized water supply. And without obstacles protruding from the hull (or even a rudder) it can ride over most any hazard with impunity.

In my opinion the best option for Parrothead is to do what Kayaker has done and tap into the nozzle, since the stator (usual place to tap for a cooling nipple) has limited room in this pump.
I am using the KaMeWa Nozzle, so does it even make sense to try and tap into it for water cooling?

Makes more sense to tap into the stator housing...
Last edited by bigwaveohs; Jul 13, 2019 at 01:51 PM. Reason: add stator tap
Jul 13, 2019, 02:03 PM
Jetdrives R Us
While I don't have one I can put my hands on, it looks like there is even more room for a cooling nipple with the KaMaWa. See if there is enough room to insert a 1.8" (3mm) tube in this area when you cycle the nozzle back and forth. You want the hole to be between stator blades.
Jul 13, 2019, 07:25 PM

KMB Water Cooling Tap

That location might be a bit better. It's up out of the way and easier to reach with some tubing.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Pete
Jul 18, 2019, 11:01 AM
Thread OP

water cooling; aka - how is yo flo?

Leaning towards using a hull pick up for cooling the ESC & motor, in conjunction with the water outlet located in the stern and below water line, so that when the boat is moving, the movement (suction) would help pull the water thru the cooling tubing. Similar to the stern hull drain in a full size boat.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-80400

Interested in your thoughts please - thanks.
Jul 18, 2019, 11:41 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1parrothead
Leaning towards using a hull pick up for cooling the ESC & motor, in conjunction with the water outlet located in the stern and below water line, so that when the boat is moving, the movement (suction) would help pull the water thru the cooling tubing. Similar to the stern hull drain in a full size boat.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-80400

Interested in your thoughts please - thanks.
I can't bite my tongue on this one...if you're going to do that -then use the KMB nipple on the drive-it sucks water ANY time the impeller is spinning , not just when the boat gets up to speed-draw back is you (in both cases) wont have a tell tale spray letting you know its working..
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Jul 18, 2019, 03:59 PM
Thread OP
THANKS Bob. I didn't consider being able to see that the water is actually coming out of the cooling tubes. I'll get the water to come out where it can be seen.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply