May 17, 2019, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

CAP 2019 walnut scale Cessna 180, Seversky S2 (for now, maybe others later)

It's not exactly a vintage project, but I've been given permission from on high to make this repair job an entry. It's a Herr Cessna 180 that I foolishly flew inside, even though it was a bit heavy for that. Of course it hit something and broke. That was a long time ago. Hoping that later on I'll be able to add some actual old time models to this thread. For instance, I've got a battle scarred Seversky from the old Comet design that needs a bit of work, then there's the silk covered Viking that no one else wanted. Ditto the Bong Boomer that a guy mostly completed in the '70's.

If anyone in the Boston area is interested in the Vikiing or the Bong Boomer, and you can convince me you're likely to complete it, with good workmanship, let me know. Part of my motivation on these is a desire to preserve them.

I probably have some other potential projects suitable for entries, but if I put too many in I'll be discouraged.

Back to the Cessna. I think the big challenge is the tissue. I want to get it back together without having to replace those stripes. The current idea is to back it up with a plastic covered piece of balsa, with tissue on it. Then stick the torn tissue down with a water based adhesive. I'm not fond of anything that's not water resistant on outdoor models, but I don't want to mess up that acrylic paint. Come to think of it, I have some water based varnish that could probably stand being damp, but I don't know if it's sticky enough.

BTW, if you want to see more CAP entries, here's a link:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...07&postcount=1
Last edited by lincoln; May 23, 2019 at 10:16 PM. Reason: forgot a picture
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2019, 03:27 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Subscribed
May 17, 2019, 03:30 PM
Sometime plane and heli flyer.
Subscribed! I've got a Viking that is waiting to be finished (George before you chime in about all mu models needing finishing, I've actually done the wing and tailplane have been completed and covered...it's just the fuselage that needs finishing and covering!!) so will be watching with interest!!
May 17, 2019, 08:06 PM
Thread OP
Between us, we have an almost finished Viking. There's just the small problem of distance.
May 19, 2019, 12:22 PM
Sometime plane and heli flyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
Between us, we have an almost finished Viking. There's just the small problem of distance.

Fuselage has sustained damage in the last move it seems so will need to make a new rear part!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May 23, 2019, 10:11 PM
Thread OP
I"m going to have to work on the time posting to time fixing ratio. Seemed to take a long time to upload my pics and shrink to reasonable size. But maybe the additional motivation, which may or may not exist, will be worth it.

Anyway, I glued a stick over where a piece of a longeron had disappeared next to the instrument panel. I applied it with a disposable pipette. Using Beacon 527, if I remember right, thinned with MEK, since I had a can closer than the acetone. The popsicle stick and rubber band are to align the side ahead of and behind the break. I found I had to remove some of the tissue to get at things, so that adds another task. OTOH, I don't have to stick little shreds back together.

Then I found a stray piece that had broken out of the firewall and glued it back in, plus spliced over a break on the other side where I'd lost the little piece.

At times, waiting for glue on the Cessna to dry, I glued together some of the ripped tissue on the Seversky. It has two flat head, metal screws that hold the "engine", bearing and prop on, which can be used to adjust downthrust. I used to have nylon screws on each side, that were similarly adjustable, but the one on the port side broke off. I added a little more material there to allow room to drill and tap for another screw. I think if I try this again, I will drill the hole for the bearing with a bit of downthrust and right thrust so the "engine doesn't get so crooked. But on this model, I'm leaving that for any possible future re-covering and refurbishing. This model used to fly quite well, and probably will again, but it's always refused to fly away. I think I built it in the early '90s.
May 24, 2019, 06:16 PM
Thread OP
Drilled and tapped the hole for the screw in the Seversky last night. Also a bit more glueing on Cessna firewall.

Removed tissue from another bay to fix breaks near motor peg on left side.
May 26, 2019, 04:22 AM
Thread OP
Glued the magnet back into the firewall. That holds the bottom of the nose block in. Also replaced the tabs that hold the top of the nose block in. Replaced a missing brace near right peg hole. Tricky, because I couldn't really see well in there and had to put the brace on the end of a stick to get it in there. I think I may be ready to replace the tissue when the glue dries.
Jun 02, 2019, 03:35 AM
Thread OP
Replaced the tissue on the side and one place on top of the wing that didn't look great. The latter didn't look so great the first time around and had to be replaced. Using Fab-Tac painted on frame and dried, then acetone through tissue. Next, will airbrush white if the old jar of paint hasn't dried up, then windshield and windows. Come to think of it, I ought to do a tailwheel.
Jun 02, 2019, 08:36 AM
I'd rather be flying.....
Watching your refurbs lincoln.......

Best regards,

jeff

Quick Reply